Please license more Jdrama! 😫

My love for Kdrama started because I’m watching Jdrama and I find it quite a disappointment that there are not really that much Jdrama on Viki so I have to go elsewhere for my Jdrama needs. Now I know that the license process of Jdrama is more complicated but I think Viki should try harder. I want more people to discover the joy of Jdrama.

I would love to see those latest Jdrama on Viki:
I’m Your Destiny (Boku, Unmei no Hito desu. / ボク、運命の人です。)

Starring: Kamenashi Kazuya and Yamashita Tomohisa from Nobuta wo Produce (my very first Jdrama :grin: )
Synopsis:
Masaki Makoto and Kogetsu Haruko are both 29 years old and single. Since they were children, they have passed each other at various places like on the beach and shrines. Yet, the two are not aware of each other at all. One day, a man appears in front of Makoto and introduces himself as God. He tells Makoto about his destined soulmate and that she works next door. When he faces Haruko, he tells her “I’m your destiny.”

————
I Love You Just a Little Bit (Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo / あなたのことはそれほど )

Synopsis:
Mitsu is a 29-year-old woman who married “the number 2 man in her life,” but has been unable to forget her first love, Arishima. When she accidentally encounters him after several years, she feels it is destiny calling, and the two spend one night together in secret from their spouses. Arishima himself has just begun a family of his own, with a newborn child, but he and Mitsu find themselves continuing their affair. While they at first enjoy what seems to be a no-strings attached affair, it gradually begets subtle changes in feeling. Mitsu’s husband, Ryota, becomes aware of the affair and ups his devotion to her to keep her. Meanwhile, Arishima’s wife, Reika, is a picture perfect mother and devoted wife, throwing this four-way relationship into an increasingly complicated web of mixed emotions.

———

My Son (Haha ni Naru/ 母になる )

Synopsis:
Yui, a woman that believes being a mother is something that comes naturally. Risako, a woman that worries about being a good mother. Asako, a woman who really wants to be a mother. This drama is about how 3 of them become mothers.

——-

Reverse (リバース)

Synopsis:
Unremarkable office worker, Fukase Kazuhisa, leads a boring life. The only place he can relax is the Clover Coffee Shop. Here he meets Ochi Mihoko and they begin to date. Just as he begins to grow accustomed to a more enjoyable life, something occurs that drives a wedge between the lovers. Mihoko receives a letter that accuses Fukase of being a murderer. Fukase realizes that he must now disclose the only darkness that happened in his life. He begins to tell Mihoko of a “secret” that he has not spoken of for ten years… Everyone sins. But how can you forgive and be forgiven?

Frankenstein’s Love (Frankenstein no Koi/ フランケンシュタインの恋)

Synopsis:
An incident 100 years ago led to a professor’s creation of a monster with a human-like form but definitely not a human-like appearance. And yet, this immortal monster has more compassion than humans. He quietly hides deep in the forest and dreams of the day he can live as a human being even though he knows this is impossible. Then something results in his encounter with a young woman Tsugaru-san and he falls in love with her. He starts to learn about love, friendship and the world. However, there is a secret. A monster cannot come into contact with a human being.

———

Decided to only list the upcoming/currently airing Jdrama I want to see otherwise the list will be endless. I also have a bunch of channels pending for Jdrama.
Which do you want to see licensed on Viki?

If you want to help out requesting a license for a Jdrama: Fill in this form

13 Likes

I agree. I really would like to watch more Japanese Dramas here.
I’m going to request the license for all these shows now.

2 Likes

I would like to see being licensed:

• Sorry, I love you (remake of the Korean drama “I’m Sorry I love You”)

https://www.dramafever.com/st/news/images/3987e80b-b49f-4c32-9949-31ba64fc8b41.jpg

- 5→9 From Five to Nine

3 Likes

From 5 to 9 was soo cute. Loved it! :slight_smile: And yes that remake must be on Viki too :smiley: To bad my from 5 to 9 channel got denied soon after I submitted it when it was about to air but the other channel is still in my pending channels list keeps fingers crossed
I really had hoped they would get more Jdrama after they became Rakuten’s which is a Japanese company but so far Viki misses out on some really good Jdrama.

2 Likes

Now that many k-dramas are slipping away because of Kocowa, it would be a good time to look for more Japanese content, but if as you say it’s the Japanese themselves who make it difficult…

1 Like

Yes please get more j-dramas on Viki while i enjoy k-dramas i love j-dramas the best!!!

2 Likes

AGREE! :slight_smile: More Jdramas on Viki please. The culture and the language, let alone the creativity and visualization, are distinct from Cdramas and Kdramas, even though they are loved. Some on my to-watch list that were aired recently…

Chushingura–A 48th Loyal Retainer in Love/Chuushingura no Koi ~ 48-ninme no Chuushin.
http://i.imgur.com/1XUEleY.jpg

Set in the Edo Period, the story revolves around Kiyo (Takei Emi), a woman who strives to overcome status differences of those days. When she pledges to live for a love, a knife attack occurs at Edo Castle. And as a 48th loyal retainer, her fate changes after a raid on Kira: she is determined to serve at the inner palace of Edo Castle called “O-oku”. The story is based on a novel written by Morota Reiko.

The Courage to be Disliked/Kirawareru Yuuki
http://i.imgur.com/bNtiyOB.jpg
Karina, Kato Shigeaki, Masu Takeshi, Totsugi Shigeyuki, Maruyama Tomomi, Sakurada Dori, Iitoyo Marie, Sagara Itsuki, Okazaki Sae, Judai Satoshi, Masana Bokuzo, Shiina Kippe
Synopsis: Based loosely on the best-selling self-improvement book of the same title, “Kirawareru Yuuki” (The courage to be disliked), this drama depicts a young female detective who appears to completely embody Alfred Adler’s psychoanalytical theory.

Ando Ranko (Karina) is a police detective. She is single and has no boyfriend currently. Even though she is only 32 years old, Ranko is extremely capable at her job. With a track record of solving many difficult cases, she is regarded as one of the top detective of Metropolitan Police Department. She doesn’t listen to others’ advice, never cares what others think about her and does things the way she wants to.

Ranko starts working with a new partner Toshio Ooyama (Kato Shigeaki). Toshio, who has long dreamt of being a detective, has a strong sense of justice and is the complete opposite of Ranko. He cares what others think of him and tries hard not to be disliked. Working side by side with Ranko, Toshio comes to hate her for her arrogant attitude and willful behaviors. Will “the world’s most disliked female detective” Ranko and her overly self-conscious partner Toshio be able to learn to co-exist with each other and get their job done?

Midday’s Demon/Mahiru no Akuma
http://i.imgur.com/3YHe7Jr.jpg
One day, Nanba Masato (Nakamura Aoi), a young man who is aspiring to be a writer, feels excruciating pain in his abdomen and is rushed to a hospital. A surgeon Okochi Yoko (Tanaka Rena) diagnoses him with appendicitis. Beautiful like a goddess, she eases his hellish pain. He is hospitalised after the successful surgery and delighted that she is his attending physician. However, this is the opening to great despair and doom. Yoko is sociable and cheerful and also treats patients kindly. But her true face is something that she cannot even personally understand. Apathetic to all events from a young age, she is impassive and immoral. She has no compassion when she sees people who are suffering and also no feelings of guilt. When target people or events materialise, her dark side will kick in on impulse.

Src: Images/Synopses - Google/Wiki

1 Like

If I understand correctly, Japanese dramas are exceedingly expensive to license. Maybe some day there will be a service similar to Viki that charges much higher subscription fees to cover licenses for Japanese dramas. I would be willing to pay more.

2 Likes

If we’re sharing J-dramas that we want licensed and recommend to other J-drama fans, then here’s a list from me!

Love That Makes You Cry
いつかこの恋を思い出してきっと泣いてしまう (Highly recommended!)

Story depicts the dreams, friendship and love of young people who move to Tokyo, but struggle to live there. After Oto Sugihara’s (Kasumi Arimura) mother died, she was raised by her foster parents in a rural village in Hokkaido. Even though she is in a difficult situation with her foster parents pushing her to marry a wealthy older man, she lives brightly and diligently. She supports her foster parents by working at laundry. Ren Soda (Kengo Kora) was raised by his grandfather in Fukushima. Hoping that someday he will be able to buyback his grandfather’s land and they can work together, he moves to Tokyo and works hard at a moving service. One morning, Ren finds a letter, which seems important, among his friend’s stuff. His friend mentions that he stole it in Hokkaido. Ren is unable to ignore the letter, so he drives to Hokkaido to give the letter to the rightful owner. The owner of the letter is Oto Sugihara. Ren is aware she is being pushed to marry an older man and feels sorry for her. He gives her a ride to Tokyo.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
時をかける少女
Mihane Yoshiyama (Yuina Kuroshima) is a 3rd grade high school student. She is a member of the photo club at her school. The day before her summer vacation, she smells a lavender scent in the science lab and she suddenly gains the ability to leap through time. Shohei Fukamachi (Fuma Kikuchi) is Mihane’s classmate. He actually came from the year 2122 and is a researcher. Shohei lost a drug that allows him to go back to 2122. In the meantime, Shohei hypnotizes those around him and lives as a high school student. Mihane and Shohei become to have feelings for each other.

My Lovers Secret
愛してたって、秘密はある
When Rei Okumori (Sota Fukushi)was in the 3rd grade of middle school, he killed his father to protect his mother Akiko (Honami Suzuki). His father physically abused his mother. They buried his dead body in their yard and made it appear he went missing. Since that time, they kept they their secret and did not tell anyone. 8 years later, Rei Okumori is now a law school student and pursuing his dream of becoming a lawyer. At his law school, he meets Sawa Tachibana (Haruna Kawaguchi) who hopes to become a public prosecutor. They fall in love and Rei Okumori wants to marry Sawa Tachibana. He begins to receive a message from someone that knows his secret.

Flowers For Algernon
アルジャーノンに花束を

Based on the novel “Flowers for Algernon” by Daniel Keyes

**Code blue Season **
3コード・ブルー~ドクターヘリ緊急救命~

Kousaku Aizawa (Tomohisa Yamashita), Megumi Shiraishi (Yui Aragaki), Mihoko Hiyama (Erika Toda), Kazuo Fuikawa (Yosuke Asari) and Haruka Saejima (Manami Higa) have worked and pursued careers down different paths.
Kousaku Aizawa left the hospital emergency room. He now works as a brain surgeon. Megumi Shiraishi works hard as a staff leader for flight doctors at a hospital emergency room. Mihoko Hiyama wanted to become a flight doctor in th past, but she left the hospital emergency room and now works as an ob-gyn. Kazuo Fuikawa works as a emergency physician specializing in orthopedics and works with Megumi Shiraishi. Haruka Saejima still works as a nurse for flight doctors. They each live fiercely and face new situations.

Pretty Proofreader
地味にスゴイ! 校閲ガール・河

Etsuko Kono (Satomi Ishihara) is a 28-year-old woman who loves fashion. Aspiring to become a fashion editor, she joins a publishing company, but she is sent to work in copy editing section. There, her job is to correct errors and inadequate parts of documents and copies.

The Girl And Three Sweet Hearts (actual translation is “to like someone”)
好きな人がいること

Misaki Sakurai (Mirei Kiritani) has not dated in a long time. She has focused on her work as a pâtissier to eventually run her own business. One day, she gets fired from work. She then meets her first love from high school Chiaki Shibasaki (Shohei Miura). Misaki Sakurai works part-time at Chiaki’s restaurant and also stays there. While she lives with Chiaki at his restaurant, she realizes that Chiaki’s two younger brothers Toma (Shuhei Nomura) and Kanata (Kento Yamazaki) also live there.

Daytime Shooting Star (Movie)
ひるなかの流星

Suzume Yosano (Mei Nagano) is a first grade high school student. She lived in the countryside, but, due to her parents transferring overseas for work, Suzume now lives in Tokyo with her uncle (Ryuta Sato). Suzume has never had a boyfriend before, but she has feelings for her homeroom teacher Satsuki Shishio (Shohei Miura). Meanwhile, her classmate, Daiki Mamura (Aran Shirahama), becomes attracted to Suzume.

The Liar And His Lover (Movie.)
カノジョは嘘を愛しすぎてる

Set within music field, “Kanojo wa Uso o Aishisugiteru” depicts a love story between a 25-year-old sound engineer and 16-year-old high school student Riko, who posessess a gifted voice. 25-year-old sound engineer Aki (Takeru Satoh) is a member of popular band “Crude Play,” but right after the band decides to make their major record debut Aki quits the band. But, Aki provides his music to Crude Play under the name of producer Soichiro. Aki begins to date Riko (Sakurako Ohara), whose father runs a fruit and vegetable shop. Riko doesn’t know about Aki’s background, but she likes to listen to him hum. Riko is in a band herself, with childhood friend Yuichi and Sota. One day she is scouted by producer Yoichiro.

We Married As A Job
逃げるは恥だが役に立つMikuri Moriyama (Yui Aragaki) is 25 years old. She doesn’t have a boyfriend and doesn’t have a job even though she holds a graduate degree. Everyday, Mikuri Moriyama has a feeling that she is not needed. Her father, unable to see her suffering anymore, arranges for her to work as a housekeeper. Her employer is 36 year old Hiramasa Tsuzaki. He is single and works for a company. A series of events leads them to marry as a working condition.

6 Likes

Also, I recommend checking out these youtube channels! P xxxwPST and Hazukii02 , they both make wonderful fanmade MVs of couples or characters from J-dramas. I watch them to get a feel of the characters/story and I’ve got to say, their MV’s have led me to a lot of great dramas!

1 Like

Good that I see that one! I saw half of it on the plane to Korea but was to tired to complete it and on the way back home from Korea I kind of forgot and watched other movies. But from what I saw it was cute.

So many good jdrama is mentioned here and a few I need to put on my to watch list :slight_smile:

We Married As A Job (逃げるは恥だが役に立つ) is one of the best shows, from any country, I’ve ever watched. It’s sad that it is so difficult to obtain proper licenses for Japanese shows. The same problems happen with Japanese music as well.

1 Like

Hi Please licensed ONE LITTLE OF TEARS., LAST FRIEND AND THE MOVIE I just wanna hug you.

1 Like

YamaP to Kame :heart_eyes: depuis que j’ai vu la bande annone de ce drama, je meurs d’envie de le voir mais impossible de le trouver :déçu_relieved:
Nobuta wo Produce est un de mes tout premiers dramas Japonais ^^

(je sais que cette publication date d’y a 3 ans mais j’avais envie de répondre :slight_smile:)

Can anyone from Rakuten / Viki give us an update on when some new (or old, it doesn’t matter,) Japanese dramas will added to the lineup? And dramas that are not from the tired, overdone “Romantic Comedy” genre?

Because it would be great to see some new J-dramas, and it would be great to see some Medical, Police, School, Paranormal or Sci-Fi dramas from Japan.

The gross under-representation of Japanese dramas at Viki is just weird - given that Rakuten is a Japanese company - and the 98.5% barrage of Romantic-Comedies-Only is boring us to tears.

Please tell me something new is coming soon.

2 Likes

so true! and new material, what about the “lord fox”, from another planet, and so many more !

@frustratedwriter

If you have Netflix watch from Japan MIDNIGHT DINER. I enjoy each and every episode they have so far. I’m on MD3 these are short stories from people that go to the Diner, and you even learn to cook bc he says the ingredients and show how he cooks it, but since I can’t find the ingredients I haven’t been able to make any new Japanese dish. Some episodes are hilarious to watch and they have such a variety of stories you won’t see a story plot repeated… Some stories are sad and they will make you cry, but they strive to show more funny than sad stories. I requested them a long time ago but so far, nothing…:cry:

2 Likes

Viki has two Midnight Diner movies that I recently watched. It’s the same set-up of small stories about people who come into the diner, with the same main lead chef. I really enjoyed the slow-paced but rich little stories we get of all the different people. I discovered that the series version is on that other site, so I plan to check them out too because I got hooked.

I am so curious about the scar that the chef has. Do they mention it at all in the series? There was no talk about it in the movies.

2 Likes

@my_happy_place

I was wondering where the scar came from because I didn’t noticed the scar until now that I’m on the 7th episode of (midnight diner 3). There’s no way he had that scar from the beginning and I didn’t noticed he had it. I am so curious to know how and why that happened since he has such a calm and lovely personality. I’m gonna check the ones they have here, and am checking now if he had it in the earlier episodes…

So Netflix has midnight Diner 2014/2016/2019. Each season has 10 episodes so there are a total of 30 episodes. I don’t know if I skipped an episode that explains how he got a scar. I know there is a man that gets jealous of him bc his wife (who goes to the diner) likes or loves him. I’m going to pay more attention to see if I skipped an episode. that will give me the answer.

season 1 episode 1 tan-men without noodles
epi 2 corn dog
epi3 tonteki
epi 4 omelette rice
epi 5 Egg tofu
epi 6 Umeboshi and plum wine
epi 7 hot pot for one
epi 8 sauté yam
episode 9 ham cutlet
epi 10 new years eve noodles again

season 2
epi 1 chicken fried rice
epi 2 Chicken breast with cheese (I have to watch this one for the recipe)
epi3 Plum Rice Ball
epi4 Fried chicken wings
epi 5Yakisoba Dog
epi 6 Salmon and mushrooms
epi 7 kitsume Udon
epi 8Curry Ramen
epi 9 Sweet roll omelette
epi10 Toshikosto Soba

season 3
epi 1 Minced meat cutlets
epi 2 Pork wrapped tomatoes (sounds yummy!)
epi 3Taro and squid
epi 4 Pickled Ginger tempura
epi 5 Vermicelli salad
epi 6 Stuffed cabbage
epi 7 Clam soup
epi8 sautee Burdock
epi 9 Liver and Chives/chives and Liver
epi 10 Master’s Soba Noodle.

1 Like

Wow, so many eps. That will keep me busy for a while if I ever actually find the time to squeeze them in. :smiley: Thanks for the info.

1 Like