Put on a smile

Really ! HOME! Hoop dancers are at almost every pow-wow on the reservations and at city pow-wows. Here are several other dance styles from different tribes in the United States. Here are some REAL dances from real nations.

Ok. This dance is called Duck and Dive. It is a northern plains traditional men’s dance that shows how they fought a battle. They drop on the loud beats, when they are ducking something and when they search around, etc.

Crow style Crow Hop ( Crow invented this dance and double beat music style) Crow tribe is from Montana. When was the last time I was at Crow fair??? 1994? 95? been awhile…

Jingle Dress Each jingle represents prayers. It originated with the Ojibway people. Minnesota up through Canada

Apache Crown Dance - White Mountain Apache - Arizona - A blessing for the people

Zuni Pueblo Buffalo dance - New Mexico

Hopi Eagle Dance - Arizona

Seneca Smoke Dance - New York - This is a social dance - when the air is stagnant in the long house you get the energetic people to get up and dance fast to get the air moving up and out the smoke hole.

Miwok dance at San Francisco State University in 2019 - Miwok nation is from the North Bay Area (California) and the Sierra Mountains. I moved to Idaho back in 1997 so I don’t knw any of these kids. That visor the men wear is made of madrone slats and flicker feathers. Only men can wear flicker feathers.

Pomo - Kule Loklo (Bear Valley) - Marin County - lol I used to go out there and learn how to make acorn mush, build tule houses, etc. all kinds of things. lol One time, we made a shade frame made form willow but we didn’t peel the bark and it ended up growing! so there is a living shade out there. :sunglasses: The big round house is so nice and cool inside on hot days.

Pomo - North of San Francisco, Petaluma area. Pomo baskets are some of the finest in the world.

Ohlone People are the first people in the San Francisco Bay Area. Yes, Ohlone are still very much here despite almost total land loss and being swallowed up in the larger population.
Aw. I haven’t been to a Big Time Gathering since I moved to Idaho. :disappointed_relieved:

My second mother is Ohlone from Union City.
1 Like

Very cool. I watch a YouTube channel that’s about native things and they introduced a group of girls that wore jingle dresses and who do the jingle dance. Very interesting to learn about all of the different ways culture is preserved :blush:

Oh! You guys should know by now I am from San Francisco but my hubby is from Idaho. We lived in Fort Hall, Shoshone-Bannock reservation in Idaho. Here is a Shoshone style Men’s Traditional Chicken Dance. at the Fort Hall Festival

Jonathon Windy Boy vs Lee Jack - Grass Dance Tiebreaker @ Southern Ute Powwow 2019

Windy Boy is probably the most famous grass dancer around. 2019? I can tell the years are creeping up on him - we used to watch him dance back in the 90’s (giving away how old I am again. :joy:) but he is still excellent.
1 Like

YT sometimes brings up something funny

3 Likes

That was cute :smile:
YT does has good recommendations from time to time :wink:

3 Likes
1 Like

Even though it was for just one episode, glad I could hear another Tablo Podcast again :smile:

And one in Korean:

1 Like

ok I put this on twice, come on SMILE!

5 Likes

ㅗ도도 ㅛㅐㅕ 미ㅣ ㅏㅜㅐㅈ 소ㅑㄴ !!! dag-nabbit! Forgot to change my keyboard again… lol

Anyway. hehehe You all know that this will happen if you look away for just a micro-second.

Young_artist
I just found this online years ago. Don’t have a clue who the kids are. But you have been warned. HIDE THE INDELIBLE MARKERS!

These two Mud Girls are my friend’s daughters. :laughing: Excellent blackmail material - useful for tormenting your teenager when her future date comes over.

MUD-GIRLS

Who says to watch the kids? Granny says so. :rofl:
girlfriends

6 Likes

love them!!

1 Like

Years ago I joined a short-time choir project - rock choir - and I am still liking it when a big choir is singing rock songs.
I found this clip, and it brought back memories and lifted my mood, so hopefully yours too
The actual singing starts at 6.55 mins into the video

4 Likes
4 Likes

Hilarious!

I don’t think I ever told my parents I loved them either. :laughing:

Yea, that guys family would fit right into my old neighborhood. :rofl:

They will probably say to each other, “What’s going on with your son/brother?” Is he ok?"

2 Likes

It’s so sad that they reacted that way especially his sister, but I think I know why the sister reacted that way. The father is normal, ‘‘a man thing’’ that boys are man so babying them with love you words is a no, no. But the mom said it in English which is obvious they express their love in words very rarely; if ever. They sounded so uncomfortable while when my kids say I love you to me, I make such a scene, and tell them how much i love them and start blessing them for eternity; and it means so much to me when my kids say ‘‘I love you’’ to me. But I always told them I love you since they were in my womb, on the phone before we hang up, when they left in the morning to school/work (followed by the eternal traditional blessing) lol

I hope the sis realized that she made a mistake by reacting like that, and I hope the Dad calls him back and says I LOVE YOU, SON.

1 Like

I understand what you mean. I do however think it’s a culture thing and that the sister didn’t really mean it that way, but she was joking as well :smile: My sibling used to react like that too :laughing:

4 Likes

Hahaha me neither. I mean, we have gotten more affectionate over the years, but saying that to them is just… out of character :laughing: I remember the first time I hugged my dad as an adult, he didn’t know what to do :rofl: Now he does it though. In my case it’s a culture/family culture thing :thinking::blush:

I do remember this one instance where I stayed with this family for a week and they kissed each other on the mouths… I was completely floored :no_mouth:

3 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

I do remember this one instance where I stayed with this family for a week and they kissed each other on the mouths… I was completely floored

Yes, some cultures do that. I wonder if they were Italian. My Italian friend and her family did that kissing in the mouth as greeting. But it was spontaneous not a long lingering mouth kiss, but it was still very uncomfortable to look; especially when their kids would scrub their lips and said a loud Yuck!!!. I suggested my friend not to that in public bc they might call ACS on her (bc of her kid’s reaction) People most likely would get the wrong idea from the disgust look/reaction from her boy and girl.

I told her the kids reaction was what made it look as rejection/wrong. You would think they would be used to that since is a ‘‘custom’’ in the town where she lived; passed from generation to generation. I still feel is too much and too personal, and now I’m hoping they stopped that bc of this virus is not a wise thing to do right now lol

PS. It came to my mind that maybe that’s the reason why the virus spread so fast and caused so many death in Italy. A mortal tradition.

1 Like

No they were Dutch :wink:
It was definitely a family culture thing.

Hey, nice to see you using the spoiler tag now :blush:

3 Likes