Received a PM from a spammer? Let us know!

I have been flagging this person too for the past few days and it’s really annoying. Is there really nothing that can be done like a spam filter, IP ban or an extra step before posting?

I flagged them just now. Idk how they keep doing it again and again.

Is this going to like…happen every day?
They’re different accounts, no? Probably a bot or something though.

Does Viki require some kind of email confirmation or something to sign up? Or can something like a captcha be added to the sign up?

As an “old” member at Viki, are you all experiencing something like this the first time?

They’re gone now. Get ready for some more tomorrow.

lol I FLAG them too! @Mariko can viki or you guys just remove their accounts or something? I dont think they come to contribute in any way or to watch dramas.

Definitely a spammer. Why would a Forbes writer be holding a gmail account instead of a Forbes account? Even if she’s a freelance writer, why call instead of emailing the questions? And why not go through the proper channels - Viki?

rosa_trieu_851
Hi Shaldane,
My name is Rosa Trieu and I’m a writer at Forbes. I’m working on a story about how Viki is introducing tens of thousands of TV shows and movies to new audiences all over the world. I couldn’t help but notice how much subtitling you’ve done–over 400,000!
Would you be available for a brief chat on the phone for 5-10 minutes today or tomorrow? I’d love to hear about your experience subbing and your thoughts on the Viki community.
Please feel free to respond here or email me at rosa.trieu@gmail.com. I’d greatly appreciate it.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Many thanks,
Rosa

I receive pm from rufinalu_510 [rufinalu@live.com] with request to answer her on mail.

I got one too.
“rufinalu_510
[rufinalu@live.com]
Happy Day,I will so much appreciate your reply to my private email address for i have something very important to talk with you, Am miss Rufina”

Hey everyone,
These accounts have been removed:

rosa_trieu_851
rufinalu_510

Cheers,
Mariko

1 Like

I had two messages from a user that apparently joined today. Talking about exchanging emails glorykoroma11_860

I received a message from same person as well.

Really? Ohh I had two messages same content.

Hello My Friend,
My name is glory I have a friendly feeling, And decide to leave a message for you, I know you’re many miles away separated by such distance, But yet your letters will bring you near to me.Through the mails we will share in future if it touches you to be a friend to me and if you feel to know more about me you can reach me on my via e-mail (glorykoroma1@hotmail.com) bye and have a nice day.
Regards, Miss Glory

For a spammer she seems very friendly :slight_smile:

Thanks @solunda and @babymeg19!

That’s definitely a spam message and I’ll deal with it :slight_smile:

I also received the same message on viki. Someone said they need me for something important and they wanted my e-mail. And then I had the following message sent to my e-mail.
I did some research on google to find that this lady or whoever she is, did the same to many people…=_=

Messages like this are generally spam so I would suggest never responding to them (just my personal advice) :blush:

Yes true!!! Thank you for this. I really should learn. I had this sent to me twice.One on viki and the other one on hotmail.

Sorry to re-up this trend but I received a message on Viki.
It’s from lindaosmsobaioa_886 et she/he want to “talk withyou in private with mail and send pictures”.
(mail : indaosma@hotmail.com)

Thank you

Looks like the spammers are back. I got a PM from a tinababy2015 (profile created today). Her PM is as follows:

Greeting From Tina
How are you today? and how about your
health? hope fine and you are doing well, My Name Is Miss Tina, I am looking for a very nice man of love, caring, honest, matured, understanding, and of good character, then after going to your profile on this site (www.viki.com)
i pick interest in you, so i will like you to write me with My E-mail address is ( tinababy_9@yahoo.com ) so that i will send you my picture and tell you more about me
Miss Tina

I’m clearly not a man so I don’t know why she or whatever sent me this. I did not respond and won’t. Just wanted to let you know that they are back!

1 Like

I got the same message too… I don’t think I look like a man, do I? LOL…

Hopefully Viki can please look after this situation for us. Thanks!