SEGMENTERS PLEASE VISIT HERE! Some Helpful Advice for Current and Potential Aspiring Segmenters

Yes, I have two shirts. Thanks to VIKI for the Seg101 and Fastest Segger Shirt =D

Chizzy, did you get your Seg101 shirt yet? Having that shirt paired with white skinny jeans is equally as cute =D

I use firefox or IE, I don’t believe there is much difference anymore as with the old segment timer.

1 Like

Amy, that’s not the fastest segger shirt. That’s the new Viki shirt design.

Dudie, that is the NEW viki tshirt design.

@yolswels091 know, they told me I will get a shirt with the new design but I got it as a prize for the seg101 contests I won.

In my humble opinion, the Grad Panelists should standardize the browser used for grading then. That way it would be fair to all the students as the grading would be coherent between panelists. If a panelist use a different browser than the one the student used for segmenting and they noticed errors for the videos and failed it, it would be quite discouraging. Standardizing browser could also reduce the number of PMs with screenshots shared between the students mentor and the panelist to prove their timing. Reducing discrepancy and maximizing harmony.

Wels. I know this is the new Viki shirt design. But since I won it for the Fastest Segmenter Challenge, I call it the fastest segger shirt so people would know I didn’t receive a t-shirt out of the blue. It also distinguishes between my Seg101 and Popcorn shirt!

Seg101 Graduate Shirt

Viki Popcorn Shirt

1 Like

Yes, that is the prize for the winners of the contest.

You can get one eventually.

There is no fastest segmenter shirt ever made yet…
I might decide to create one next time.

1 Like

Amy, I disagree with you. The browser actually does not make a difference with the new viki. The factors that have an effect on streaming videos are bandwidth, peak times, and computer hardware. A lower bandwidth means slower, peak times of viewers equates to slower, and minimal amount of ram or older computer hardware the process is slower. The timing difference can range from a slight variance to an obvious difference. Even when using the same browser it will not make a difference.
I have students that we used the same browser. Due to their bandwidth, whenever they cut a segment it would be way early. When the student cut the segment, she had to move the beginning of the segment back 5 to 6 counts. Other students may be 3 or 4. Once she was made aware of this, the timing of her segments was almost perfect.
Screen shots may differ due to reaction times also. Whenever I send a screenshot to a student, I use the term approximately. Some have slower, while others have a fast reaction time. A good example is gaming online. The players are all using the same model playstation. Skill is an obvious factor to winning the game, other factors that will have an effect is the bandwidth, number of players on the server, and reaction time. Take the same scenario using their PC’s. The bandwidth, number of players on the server, reaction time, and now add equipment. Processor, video card, and ram are all key elements to winning the game. Video streaming is the same as far as accuracy.
Your impression of the grad panel is incorrect. The grad panel looks for potential, not perfection. Slight variance in timing does not fail a student. Other minor errors do not fail a student. In my humble opinion, using a different browser is not unfair and does not cause discrepancy, it is the other factors that I mentioned above that are the culprits.

2 Likes

Sorry for being argumentative. I never make baseless claims because I always have evidence to prove everything I said.

Below is a video from my student before she self-corrected and submitted to the panel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FmJNjbwjr0

This was what I showed to my student about her grad video. When I checked it with Chrome, it was smooth and continuously early. When I checked with Firefox (around 1:34 when I refreshed my browser), it was lagging, inaccurate and the segments were sometimes early and late.

There is a BIG difference between Firefox & Chrome! I don’t think you usually segment at on-air dramas about 10,000 segments a month so you might not know about it!

I talked to many active segmenters who work on several on air projects within a week as segmenters and they all had similar experiences: Firefox is either laggy or the timing is totally off when the editor checks out the video/segments.

Segments that are perfect in timing in Chrome may appear early in Firefox and vice versa! Also Firefox freeze- I can’t segment with Firefox because it freezes for no reason!!

For some unknown reason Firefox is incompatible with Viki beta-segment timer or they are ill-fit for each other- at least in my case!

I hope you would respect my opinion as much as I respect yours.

Amy, do you really have to insult someone just to get your point?
One of the people at SEG101 who studied beta segment timer first hand is Roxiehar.
At least give her some credit for that
And don’t compare her to segmenters who segment for aired dramas.
I can’t believe this is how you treat her.

Well, I would love to say we all are family as I said. No ruler at all.
so, no one 100% right or 100 % wrong
even me, my skill I can said it is not 100% to be a ruler.
I use chrome becoz easy for me.
even I grade GV, I did not grade their perfect
I did not count how many mistake they are.
I did not fail them even they are cut too choppy or not flawless.
I let them pass becoz still more gap for them to improve them self in real project. I even look in to their intention that our student gonna develop them self.
I always use my mind, my heart and not use only theory

4 Likes

Seriously? This is completely bogus!
And you are calling US death eaters?OMG…this is so childish
You weren’t even in Viki during our times.
How can you say such a thing when you don’t even know these people?
And since we are working with your so called VOLDEMORT, you judged US that way?
I’ve never met such person like you talking behind other people’s back this way!

I checked them too, I tried them out on one video. No difference. (maybe the difference you saw was due to one of the factors I mentioned above, this would apply to my no difference). I too make no baseless claim. “Segments that are perfect in timing in Chrome may appear early in Firefox and vice versa!” So you determined the perfect timing was Chrome…could it be it was the one off and the firefox more accurate? “Also Firefox freeze- I can’t segment with Firefox because it freezes for no reason!!” I have had no issues with firefox freezing (again refer to one of the factors above). As I noted, i use another browser also.

I do not segment 10,000 segments a month mainstream, you are correct. There are always enough people to get those segmented. I segment channels that have a difficult time to get segmenters for their channels.My main purpose for learning to segment. I admit the pass year I have not segmented as much as I would have liked, 5 courses a semester, my students and other contributions to a specific channel,my employment, family, volunteer work and a few other demands, have cut sharply into my time to segment. I am still proud of the contributions I make to viki, although not mainstream, I think they are valid. I also believe in mint’s philosophy, “it is the quality, not the quantity of segments” that is important. I applaud you for 10,000 segments a month, but that has never been my goal or priority.

Another important fact Amy, if I seen that any browser I used had a negative impact on my students or the grad videos i would switch, but not to chrome. In everything there is preference…Mac’s over PC’s or PC’s over Mac’s. Are either better than the other…depends on the person’s preference. Chrome I won’t use on principle, anything google i hate to use because of their practices. I have a gmail account I use to sign up for sites, I uses the google docs only for stuff viki connected…otherwise i use skydrive, bing, and other browsers. That is my preference.

I still contend if there are differences it is due to the factors i related before.

Raises hand

Correct me if I am getting this wrong…If the ‘differences between browsers theory’ were true, and I’m not saying that it is, mind you…

then when Roxie, who uses Firefox, Passes the GV,
then I, who uses Chrome, should have Failed the GV, and vice versa…right?

Then how do we explain, when both Roxie and myself gives a Pass on the GV? According to the ‘differences between the Browsers theory’ that should not be.

And also, how do we explain that recently both Roxie and I failed a GV because of excessive Early segments? As I pointed out above, we use different browsers, so we should not have been seeing the same early segments, according to the ‘differences between the Browsers theory’ that is.

Can these be explained?

Erm, sorry to jump into the middle of a conversation.

But is anyone who segments on fan channels (youtube videos in particular) having issues lately? I didn’t used to have any issues with it. It’s just lately, my CPU usage jumps up like crazy and I’m getting a bit of lag when I start segging. Wondering if it’s a site-wide thing or a me thing. (They finally added some more support for dailymotion vids, and now youtube is all weird -.-)

I did have the some issues, but it was because my computer was old…

However, I was told that IE works best for YT videos.

So the Shortcut Keys works for DM videos now?