SEGMENTERS PLEASE VISIT HERE! Some Helpful Advice for Current and Potential Aspiring Segmenters

not just you, scircus… me too! Very annoying! I have to keep refresh it again and again and again.

1 Like

Ugh. …I loathe IE, and it’s not particularly compatible since I work mostly on OS X.

But yeah, shortcuts work with DM videos - or at least, it works with one of either the flash or html5 player (the labels switched on me recently, so I’m not actually sure which is which). Video quality gets downgraded in the timer, but shouldn’t make much of a difference.

@auroratasya Thanks for the confirmation :3

That’s why I don’t do fanchannels since I always have problems with them.
I’m using OS X 10.6.8 on my Imac and I mostly use Chrome because Firefox used to give lot’s of problems. What can help is to let the video load first. My theory of this is that first YT/DM needs to load the video on their server in order to have it load in the timer again so it’s twice as ‘heavy’ and if there loading problems at YT/DM it will lag a lot or not even work at all.

1 Like

WOW! Dudie congrats…that’s AWESOME…sorry for the last wishes ^o^

LOL! ^o^ Nice Idea…I have ipad but i have this beautiful cover that i am not using at the moment. Now I know what to do instead of it just lying in a drawer :smiley:

Sounds like a reasonable theory. I’ll let it load a bit before I work on it next time I guess. …It’s just annoying because previously I wasn’t having these issues.

It’s true that fan channels end up being somewhat troublesome, but I don’t want to wait around forever until Viki can get the license for some of the shows I’d like to work on. So, I guess I just have to deal with it.

Cool…DM videos, was a seggers’ worst nightmare…>.<

I guess my Question has been ignored?

Tishafi, I wasn’t ignoring you. I had already stated my opinion so I didn’t see any reason to say it again.

I recognize that you and I have different opinions about whether using a certain browser makes a difference. But your and my restating our opinions is not going to convince the other person so let’s just continue to respect the other person’s right to have a different opinion.

After all this is a forum for discussion and we definitely have had a lively one on this subject!

Perhaps we should take a poll and see on the PC system, what browsers most seggers are using and on the Mac, see what browsers most seggers are using.

How To Segment a Song in Dramas

Hello Everyone:

Sorry for my long absence from my discussion board. I’m finally back to share more of my personal experience about segmenting with my beloved followers and readers.

As I promised my avid supporters, I will be patient, be brave and be true to my own passion about segmenting. I will continue to share my expertise about segmenting without reserve for those who are willing to self-learn without being taught.

For today’s lesson, I will be teaching “How to Segment a Song in a Drama”.

Many people have PMed me and asked whether a song should be segmented on certain episodes of the dramas I manage, as well as what should we do if there is overlapping dialogue with the song. Do we segment to the lyrics or the dialogue then?

In this table below, it summarizes whether song lyrics should be segmented or not based on the situation we encountered:

According to my experience, if a song is played for 30 seconds or more and the lyrics are apparent. You should segment it. That way the audience would understand what was being sung. Most of the time, song with lyrics are there with a purpose. The director deliberately put it there because the lyrics is meaningful to the scene and establishes the mood for the scene.

Please take a look at a recent episode of Love Family, Episode 2, around 35:00 to 35:24 (near the 35 minute mark), you would notice the lyrics were segmented there…

http://www.viki.com/videos/1020771v-love-family-episode-2

To me, whether you should segment a song or not has great flexibility depending on the Channel Managers preference. If the channel manager likes the song to be segments, please segment it. For instance, on the channels I manage, I prefer both the beginning and ending song segmented and subbed (Love Around, Love Family). Other channels CM may prefer to skip the subbing for beginning and end songs entirely.

There is some leeway though. If you are cutting a drama in which you don’t like the song at all because it’s annoying and incomprehensible, you can simply choose to leave it out because it’s not always necessary to cut songs.

Amy’s Segmenting Preference for Songs

According to my preference:

1. I always cut songs that are hard-subbed in their language, because it kind of means it is there for a purpose.

2. For raw videos, I always cut songs that are loud and apparent, such as stand alone songs, and songs that are at least as loud as their dialogue. The song must be loud enough so the lyrics are clearly heard before it can be cut.

Example: Rooftop Prince, episode 15, 0:11:22 to 0:12:53. You can see both the dialogue and lyrics were cut together.

http://www.viki.com/videos/184842v-rooftop-prince-episode-15

1. If the song is used as background music and is not apparent (lyrics not clear), there is no need to cut it. Focus your attention on the dialogue, it is more important.

Example: Rooftop Prince: episode 14, 0:28:23 to 0:29:54.

http://www.viki.com/videos/184129v-rooftop-prince-episode-14

How To Adjust Segmenting Method in relation to Lyrics and Dialogue

How you segment apparent lyrics and dialogue together depends on your experience. There are two possible scenarios you may encounter:

1. Minimal amount of dialogue (like yes, no, wow, I like that…) and the lyrics are apparent and loud. Please segment to the lyrics instead of the dialogue for better synchronization. In those cases, the dialogue can be subbed among the lyrics and exist on the same segment.

2. Equivalent amount of dialogue and lyrics, please try to segment accordingly. For this I mean try to segment to dialogue wherever you can but if the lyrics don’t stop, please try to extend the ending of the segment containing the dialogue to include the rest of the lyrics before ending the segment.

Korean and Taiwanese/Chinese lyrics are sometimes kind of long, some are around 6 to 8 seconds long and that’s fine.

Lastly, the more experience you gain on live projects, the better you get. So please practice, practice, practice!

Thank you so much for reading. I really hope this post could help you better understand how to segment for songs when you work on your drama channels.

Fighting! p(^_^)q
Amy…

2 Likes

Thanks Amy!

You are very welcome Cruiser.

I really like this post! Everything I needed was here. Thank you @lacruiser for helping me! Also thank you @AmyPun for posting this!

You are very welcome Umno. I’m glad you find my posts helpful. If you need anything clarified about segmenting in the future, please feel free to post it here and I will try to answer you to the best of my abilities from my personal experience with segmenting.

Have a great weekend,
Amy…

1 Like

Segmenters FYI Edition #1

Hello All Segmenters:

How is everyone’s weekend so far? I hope you are enjoying a weekend of segmenting fun as well as watching some of the shows you enjoy on VIKI.

In this edition of Segmenters FYI, I’m going to discuss some new updates to the segment timer.

I am not sure if you are noticing what my friends and I are noticing with the segment timer for the past two or three days. We noticed something weird with the cuts when we split segments using our XXL-eclipse method. When you pause and cut, that “cut” actually occurs 0.1 second earlier than where you want it to be. Sometimes it’s 0.05 seconds early and sometimes it’s on time.

On my part, it drove me insane because I had to adjust almost every segment I made so they are synchronized. I don’t know when it’s going to be early or on time, so I don’t even know if I should cut at the voice (on time), or how I used to cut in the past, about 0.05 seconds before the voice so it would be a left-eclipse cut.

I personally wouldn’t mind if it’s always 0.1 early. But right now, it’s more like 40% of time it is 0.1 seconds early, 30% of time it is 0.05 seconds early, and 30% of time it is on time. That is why I felt that the segment timer was playing “poker face” with me. I went crazy from guessing what’s the probability of timing for the next cut and where I should place my wager.

This is the video to supplement what I’m talking about and to show you my segmenting experience right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLpbj_EApWE

In order to confirm whether it was my own computers issue or a general Viki Segment Timer issue, I decided to do a poll. That way it would be more liberal and representative of public opinion. I’ve confirmed my observations with several of my friends who are experienced segmenters (three of them who uses Mac + Chrome, one who uses PC + Opera, and one who uses PC + Chrome) and all of us noticed this Segment Timer issue.

If only one of us experienced it, then it would be chance. If two of us experienced it, it’s a coincidence. However in this case, more than 3 of us experienced it, it’s definitely something “fishy”.

Therefore, I want to ask all the segmenters out there to be more aware at double-checking your work to avoid these timer-related discrepancies that may affect the timings on your segmenting work.

I think I’ve check my work much more often than I have for the past two days than my usual habit.

It’s also good to know that this segment-timer issue may be the real culprit to timing irregularities of your work and may even fail to save parts of your work, giving you a sea of red segments and so forth.

Hopefully my post today could help you can save your energy from wondering whether someone “adjusted” or “ruined” your work and going on a fruitless witch-hunt but rather give you the hint that you should inform VIKI to resolve this issue on a case-to-case personalized basis.

I think this would be more effective to help Viki and their engineers to resolve newly introduced timer-related issues as well as help them improve them for the better, benefiting other Viki contributors as well.

Thanks for reading,
Amy…p(^_^)q

Thank you Amy for posting this as I have had the exact issues all weekend. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if it’s a problem with Viki or an issue only related to myself. Sharing this information helps a lot. Now I know it’s not just me. I was very surprised to go back and find half my work missing on one channel. We all better double check our work.

2 Likes

Today it was even that worse for me a lot of my segs where not saved because I was “disconnected from the server” or something… good thing I noticed and I only segged like 2 minutes… normally I don’t really look at the right corner of the timer.

Did send a help request to Viki and hopefully everyone who has these problems does so Viki sees it’s not just a few. It’s not only the timer, the editor gives problems with subbing too. (lucky I didn’t experience that myself yet)

2 Likes

my substitles were not saved but i didnt mind i just redid them, viki was always known for bugs so maybe its another bug

Hi Umno:

I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing timer issues too. Were your subtitles not saved in the Segment Timer or the Subtitle Editor?

I’ve personally PMed Catchlight and Brovo about subtitles not saving in segment timer and subtitle editor and they have resolved the issue for me.

I think it’s best for you to PM them and see whether your issue only occurs on a personalized basis or actually other people are experiencing the same thing. The more data they gather, the easier they are able to pinpoint the issue with their engineers to resolve it.

For instance, I remember for the past week or so, I wasn’t able to fill in missing subs in subtitle editor, or to delete subs from the middle of the part. I had to press tab from the beginning to get to where I want to delete or input then tab to save…making the subbing process really inconvenient.

I also noticed this:

Despite it said my subtitles were Saved, the top where the red boxes are says No Subtitles Yet.

I’ve PMed Viki and now the issue is finally fixed:

As you can see, besides my subtitles are Saved, the top where the blue boxes are indicates that my recently entered subtitles replaced the No Subtitles Yet.

I can also fill in or delete subs as before from the middle of the part without the hassle of tabbing all the way throughout the part.

Therefore, please ask Viki to look into the issue for you. It would make your volunteer experience here much more enjoyable!

1 Like

I have noticed lately that when I adjust the end of a segment, often the beginning moves. Often this means it seperated from the seg before it leaving a small gap.