SEGMENTERS PLEASE VISIT HERE! Some Helpful Advice for Current and Potential Aspiring Segmenters

@lacruiser I have been experiencing that as well, I just try to finish all the segments and go back to checking each one individually by pressing the p one too many times to make sure its correct.

@bjohnsonwong, @Dudie, @lacruiser, @umno, thanks for all your thoughtful comments, telling me the issues you are experiencing with the segment timer / subtitle editor these days. I’ve reflected the issue to Catchlight, she assured me that she and her engineers at Viki would work on a solution to help us resolve all these issues. Let’s keep the faith!

I also want to thank Viki for sending me all these fabulous gifts:

1. Seg101 Graduate T-shirt
  2. End of the Year QC Gift 2013
  3. Viki’s New T-shirt for winning the Fastest Segmenter Contest (PS Category)

In the upcoming year 2014, I will continue to write at this discussion board and share my segmenting experience with all of my avid followers. I will raise awareness about new issues and bugs pertaining to segmenting so we could look out for each other.

Thanks and Happy December,
Amy…

2 Likes

How to accurately tell whether your segments are early or not?

Hello Everyone:

Today I’m going to teach you how to accurately measure and check whether your segments are early or not without having to actually adjust it.

First off, you must have your earbuds or headphones on when you segment though. That way you can filter out extraneous surrounding sounds from the environment and focus on the dialogue.

Let’s take a look at the picture below. If you just pause at hint of sound, it appears to be early.

Please “select” that segment. If you do no see a gap between the yellow and green, it’s only 0.05 seconds early, meaning it’s synchronized.

However, If you see that slim black line gap between yellow and green, it’s early by about 0.1 seconds. The larger the black line gap, it means the more early your segment is, please try to adjust it accordingly.

In the picture below, you cannot see a black gap between the yellow and green beginning like, which means your segments are synchronized and doesn’t need any further adjustments.

Please try to use the picture above as a reference as how to synchronize the timing of your segments.

Thanks for reading,
Amy…p(^_^)q

2 Likes

I wish i seen this one last week!
Thanks for posting it will be helpful for beginners. I just told myself if i think its wrong go back and pause like crazy till its good!

Hi Umno:

Awww, sorry I didn’t post it last week. I guess posting it now is better than never posting it at all.

I will teach how to tell whether your segments are late or not in my next post. Remember to keep following up on my posts!

Cheers,
Amy…p(^_^)q.

1 Like

pressing shortcut ctrl + few time, always helpful for me,
i mean, zoom in the browser view …^^

1 Like

never thought of that!

Hi Udas:

Thanks for your feedback on zooming in. I tested your theory and decided to record it on video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ckJveEoxE

However, I notice there was definitely a lag experienced with the browser, for me it’s Google Chrome. Therefore, I would personally recommend that you segment with the default resolution the browser gives you. The timing would be more accurate when lag isn’t an issue. At the latter part of the video, when I zoomed back out, you would notice the browser flowing better and I was able to pick out deviation in timing and correct them.

What is the best browser for segmenting? Because I always get a lag in any video once i keep correcting or replaying?

Hm. I don’t know how smooth your experience generally is, but zooming in didn’t really affect the timer for me, other than zooming in.

@umno From past posts, I’d say Amy’s a fan of Google Chrome. I like it too, but at the same time, it’s the only browser I’ve really used for years. In general, I’d say any browser that doesn’t crash and runs smoothly is a good one. Mind you (and someone else pointed it out before), the browser isn’t always the only issue. It might be something to do with the processing power of your computer, your internet connection, the viki site, etc.

@umno

Scircus is correct, I’m personally a Google Chrome user and would recommend Google Chrome. These posts would show you how I make the browser compatible with Segment Timer:

http://discussions.viki.com/t/segmenters-please-visit-here-some-helpful-advice-for-current-and-potential-aspiring-segmenters/135/149

Please expand and read over them to see whether your computer system is as compatible as mine with Google Chrome, HTML format for Segment Timer.

If not, my other option would be Opera browser:

http://discussions.viki.com/t/segmenters-please-visit-here-some-helpful-advice-for-current-and-potential-aspiring-segmenters/135/146

Please try out both of them and see what you think.

i dont think that’s a lag, it’s just like you watch video with 360p of resolution at fullscrene mode
and actually i not just pressing ctrl + but also F11, segment timer feel defferent that way

How to accurately tell whether your segments are LATE or not for Raw/Voiced Videos?

Hello Everyone:

I hope you are all enjoying your Sunday.

Today I’m going to teach you how to accurately measure and check whether your segments are late or not by looking at the appearance and disappearance of the subtitle box.

First off, you must have your earbuds or headphones on when you segment though. That way you can filter out extraneous surrounding sounds from the environment and focus on the dialogue.

Most people tend to have late segment issues on the first segment of the chain. That is why in the past I encouraged people to segment 0.1 seconds earlier before the hint of sound to be synchronized for the first segment of the chain before I discovered the “eclipse-check” method.

To make it easier to visualize, let’s examine an example together…

In the picture above, you can see the yellow beginning line is LEFT of the green line, paused at the hint of the sound heard. That means it’s 0.05 seconds early, left-eclipse synchronized segment. The “Add [English] Subtitle” box is also there, indicating the subtitle would be present when the dialogue begins.

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o755/ajypun/LiveInStyle7_zps617758ef.jpg

However, if you adjust 0.1 seconds to the right so the yellow beginning line OVERLAPS the green line, paused at the hint of sound heard. The “Add [English] Subtitle” box is MISSING, which means the we would hear the dialogue before seeing the appearance of the subtitle box. Hence this segment would be late.

Please try to check and ensure all your first segment for each chain of segments or lone segments are synchronized.

In the next edition of how to check for late segments, I would discuss how to check whether your segment is synchronized on Hardsubbed videos.

Thanks for reading,
Amy…

1 Like

anyone ever experienced anything like this…

overlapping segment

1 Like

I did! I just ended up deleting it and redoing that part.

Oh! …do they both save?

I can’t see the blue wavy things when I segment,

Hello Haiqa:

The blue waveform could only be found on Viki officially licensed videos. For instance a K-drama:

For other unlicensed videos like Youtube or Dailymotion, the waveform would not be available:

I hope this helps clarify your uncertainties.

Christmas Greetings from AmyPun p(^_^)q

Hello my Dearest Readers of my Discussion Board:

How are you all doing? We are down to our 10 days countdown to Christmas. Are you all excited?

Wishing you all an Amazing Holiday Season filled with Joy, Love, Warmth and Blissfulness.

All the best for the year 2014 and keep segging!

With Love,
Amy…

3 Likes

Me! It’s so annoying.