SEGMENTERS PLEASE VISIT HERE! Some Helpful Advice for Current and Potential Aspiring Segmenters

Hello PS Segmenters:

Just to let you all know, there is only ONE spot remaining in our Seg101 4th Anniversary Fastest Segmenter Challenge…

If you think you have what it takes to win the ultimate prize, now is your chance to shine!

The event will take place next week between October 21 to 25, 2013.

If you are interested, please consult this page below…
http://www.viki.com/tv/2048c-the-seg-101-express

Or consult RoxieHar for further details

Hi, does anyone have trouble segmenting dailymotion videos? I started using dailymotion video sources for one of my channels and the segment timer is really hard to use. (Using Chrome or Firefox) For instance, the replay button does not work (it goes forwards instead of replaying it) and skipping forwards/backwards is hard to do. I was wondering if this is a common problem with segmenting dailymotion videos or if it is just my computer.

I never segmenting dailymotion videos. Now and then, I found out those awkward moments though, the segment timer doesn’t response well ( I use Chrome or Safari). No matter how much I tried the ‘F’ button doesn’t work. Or sometimes, the screen shaking as if there’s an earthquake going on. If it’s happened, I stop my work. Leave it for awhile, and comeback after sometimes. Luckily, it’s not happen all the times.

I have problems with YT video’s a lot, the timer is not accurate a lot of times. I don’t think Dailymotion would be any better. I found out it’s a bit better if you let the video load a bit. In the old timer you could see how far a video was loaded but now you can’t.
I think these problems are caused by the fact they first have to load on the servers of DM/YT and then load in the timer. If DM/YT is a bit slow the timer is slow too.

Yeah, that’s just how segmenting goes for dailymotion videos. You can’t really seek in the video unless you literally mouse click back to a spot…and even then, it doesn’t always go to that spot. I don’t know why that is though.

I hate working with DM videos, but when it’s all you’ve got, it’s all you’ve got T-T

Yup… that’s the daily motion videos. The rewind feature only works during curtain sections. Almost as if it’s already broken up into 15 second clumps and then will jump you to the next one. VERY challenging.

There should be a new feature in the right corner above the timer where you can change from HTML to Flash Player for DM videos. I also had this same issue before and now I’m able to do DM videos by changing from HTML to Flash. This feature seems to only show up on videos that have DM links. I guess Viki heard our complaints and came up with hopefully a good solution. It works ok for me with Chrome.

Omg, what is this sorcery. I’ve seen the html/flash thing on other videos but it never did anything there. It’s beautiful…I can scroll.
(I went from flash to html though.)

Edit. Oh man, I wish I knew this for my last project >.<

3 Likes

WWWWWWWWhhhhhhaaaaaaaat! Now I have to go try it!

1 Like

Hi jwindsong:

I could never segment dailymotion videos because none of the shortcut keys work… Therefore it’s basically pointless for me to attempt it. I rather have no segments instead of bad segments. Please try to replace it with Youtube sources instead. Youtube is difficult with the lag, but it’s not impossible like dailymotion would be.

Hello Everyone:

Lately I’ve been hearing that some of my friend’s chrome browser wouldn’t load. Therefore, they have to take a short hiatus from segmenting.

However, one of my best friend’s newest discover may be the solution for you if you segment on a PC computer or laptop…

Have you heard about a browser named Opera?

When we use it to attempt segmenting work, assuming that your computer speed is competitive and not lagging. The resulting end-product is nearly the same as a video segmented on Chrome HTML in terms of accuracy and timing.

We tested our hypothesis by having my friend segment on a music video using opera, followed by my QC-check on her segments. I did not find any earlies or lates.

She have been using Opera for the past week, so far she have not received any complaints about her segments. Therefore, it’s a time-tested, quality-assured and reliable browser.

If you are hesitate about seeing ads on this Opera browser, just remember that all QC have ad-free HD version of VIKIpass, therefore there is not much to worry about.

Please try this alternative out and see if this browser is the new option for you.

Fighting with your segmenting!
Amy…

1 Like

I noticed that since a few weeks the timer is ‘slower’ and sometimes slightly less accurate in Chrome (with HTML5) and I asked you to check one of my video’s for laters and indeed there where a lot. So today I wanted to switch to Opera but see what happened:

Please note I never have my browser fullscreen on my mac but it might look this way now but in the background my mailbox was still open :stuck_out_tongue: The bigger I made it the smaller the video seemed to get. I tried to switch to HTML5 but it wasn’t clickable?! Went back to Chrome right away and was kicked to part 3.

And before someone says “you should make your browser screen bigger” check these (click for bigger version):
Opera HTML:

Opera Flash:

Chrome HTML:

Maybe it’s different for Windows users but I’m a Mac user. No Opera it is for me, if it already zooms things all of a sudden when I don’t want it what more to expect?!

I think I get what you’re saying.
Although I don’t seem to have that problem with Opera, works pretty much like Chrome for me (at least as far as I can tell). Also on a Mac, btw.

I guess it just sort of varies by computer - maybe it’s a matter of different hardware and/or software. Maybe it’s an internet connection thing. Maybe it’s just the site.

Dudie:

For your chrome browser, I think the problem is after the update, it reverted back to it’s original default mode, meaning both pepperflash and macromedia are turned on under adobe flash.

Please try to go into chrome://plugins

Try to enable pepperflash, disable macromedia and see if works better and the lagging issue is resolved.

As indicated in the image below, white means on or enable, gray means off or disabled.

Please try it out and see if it helps alleviated the issue of the lag on your chrome browser in segment timer.

One last note, if you only see Adobe Flash Player, please click Details (boxed in RED in the picture below) to see all the plugin files pertaining your chrome browser.

You should see something like this afterwards…

I can’t switch that off because I need it for other sites I also use and to switch it off and on all the time is to much of a hassle for me.

Dudie:

Since you use Apple instead of PC, have you tried segmenting on Safari? I know that some of the users segment on Safari. Try to segment on it and cross-check your timing on Chrome. That way you know exactly whether they are equal in timing. If they are, try safari as an alternative, it’s better than suffering the lag issue you have with Chrome right now. Try to explore all your options before you decide what is best and most suitable to your needs.

I don’t like safari because that browser gives me so much problems all the time when visiting sites… but maybe I can give it a try but not today. Maybe tomorrow

My own experienced of using Safari isn’t quite accurate compare it to Chrome. Many early and late segments. There’re moments when I’m so desperate… and it feels like I wanna pull my hair out…! I’ve compared the segmenting I made between these two browsers. Somehow, Chrome is better than Safari for me. I can tell as I got more pass on my segmenting tasks using Chrome from my mentor, mihaelagh, than when I used Safari…:slight_smile:

If segs look late/early in one browser but not in another, how do you know which one is correct?

1 Like

In my case, I did segging by using Safari first,…some segs that look in sync turns out when I checked them by using Chrome, becomes early or late, why? I don’t know precisely, but this thing happens most of the time while using Safari, the confusing part is not all of them. What factors involves in these matters? I still have to figure out. Confusing me for sure. Thus I stop using Safari for segmenting from that moment on.