Segue Cafe - meet up with friends to chat about whatever strikes your fancy

It seemed like a reasonable guess, at least from anything I had any personal knowledge of. However, @porkypine90_261 suggested ‘Hwayugi’ (aka ‘A Korean Oddysey’). I am not personally familiar with that drama, but her reasons were pretty convincing. Plus, it made more sense to me that the third drama on the bag would also be a Kdrama rather than a Cdrama, so I think she is probably right. We have no official confirmation, though, so it’s all just fun speculation.

4 Likes

Maybe you’re right, but I’ve never seen this drama. Do you know if Hwayugi is also about a “journey to the Five Regions” ?

3 Likes

According to Porky and the synopsis on Viki, it is based on the novel ‘Journey to the West’, which does involve a trek or pilgrimage to various regions. Other than that, I am not familiar with the original novel or the drama, so I can’t say for sure. For either of the suggested dramas, I am still not sure how the ‘wind’ comes into play. In my minimal research, I didn’t find anything that I would interpret as being related to this, but I’m no expert. :woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

Okay, thank you! Maybe we’ll find an explanation for the wind one day.

4 Likes

Tuesday can’t get here fast enough! Can’t wait for KiHyun’s album.

2 Likes

Hwayugi is a great, complex, sometimes bogging down, but always fascinating K-drama. It’s got romance, bromance, death and destruction, and independent-minded and strong (yet slightly clueless) women.

Thank heaven there is a very funny bromance to distract from uneven scripting.

The text that Hwayugi is loosely based on, Journey to the West, is a 16th-century, 2,000 page Chinese text summarized hilariously here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61nuXrvqNgI

and here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ai5umy9yH0

And here’s a Chinese version of the “original” story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdCKVo7jAH8

Donnie Yen, in my list of Eternally Classic Hotties <3 <3 <3 , starred in this version of Journey to the West (looking just a bit different from his normal hunky, suave self):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMI3zqIODf8
(The Beijinger)

7 Likes

THANK YOU FOR GATHERING ALL THAT, MISS WILLOW! THAT FIRST ONE WAS HILARIOUS! :monkey: :monkey_face: :crown:

6 Likes

loved this drama, hated the ending,m but thats ok too

3 Likes

they should make a second one where finds her in the underworld.

3 Likes

Fumi :blush:
Screenshot_20220314-000716_YouTube
Screenshot_20220314-000748_YouTube
Screenshot_20220313-235847_YouTube

3 Likes

Somebody mentioned this on an “Things About K-Dramas That Annoy You” thread but since this doesn’t annoy me, I’m mentioning it here. I personally find it funny when I see someone on a K-drama wearing glasses without lenses. I’m sure they do this to reduce the reflection/glare while filming but it makes me laugh because my logical mind tells me those glasses are useless except as window dressing. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was thinking the same thing when I read that. But I have also seen people actually wear lensless glasses in real life. It was a trend for a period of time.

5 Likes

I fell down a rabbit :rabbit2: :rabbit: hole :hole:!
I’m up to episode IV! :laughing: Looks like it goes up to episode VI. I’m all in now!! :joy::joy:
Nope! It’s a total of Nine Episodes! :laughing::joy:
@porkypine90_261, there’s more! :joy: :point_up:t5: :point_up_2:t5:

4 Likes

Kihyun’s solo debut - It’s finally here! All three songs are so great and so very Kihyun and went directly into my playlist, but my favorite is “, (COMMA)”.

The title track “Voyager”:

3 Likes

It’s Official! BTS performing at this year’s Grammy Awards. (Although was it ever in doubt? Don’t think so. Soon as they got their nomination I knew they would be asked to perform) Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo also performing along with Grammy favorite Brandi Carlisle. Was really hoping for Rolling Stones to perform in tribute to drummer Charlie Watts, but no. :cry: Whyy? They also have new edition of album out so promo opportunity. Of course my dream of Paul McCartney & Paul Simon performing tribute to Don Everly/Everly Brothers is not happening either. (That one never going to happen- although McCartney nominated this year for Best Rock Song & Best Rock Album) Was also hoping for AC/DC to perform since they also nominated for Best Rock Album & Best Rock Performance, but unfortunately no. Well, rock n roll not welcome anymore these days-everything either pop or hip hop/rap. Anyway, best to BTS although this year my vote goes to Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga. From what I understand the favorite in the Pop Duo/Group category is Doja Cat & SZA so we’ll see.

4 Likes

i-know-sad

2 Likes

It is the spring of my biases! First Kihyun’s solo debut, then news of Suho’s solo comeback, and now news of an actual iKON entertainment show. I am being FED!

4 Likes

@natyh
Your GIF-so true! It’s really sad how rock is sidelined these days. I really hope the Grammy Awards does justice to all those greats who passed away this year in their tribute section, but I feel like the rock n roll artists will probably not get too much recognition. I mean, Don Everly death barely got any press and the Everly Brothers were hugely influential to so many. I keep hoping to see rock songs back on the charts soon.

3 Likes

@table122000, & @natyh,

Ever since I posted it up in this thread, I keep playing it :notes: :loud_sound: :grin: :notes:
4 Likes

Oh, yes! “Drift Away”- what a classic! Now it’s stuck in my head, LOL! For sure this song speaks to many rock performers. They all seem to do a cover of it live on tour (usually at the end of the show). There have been many recordings of it too by various artists over the years but for me Dobie Gray will always be the definitive (and best) version. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes