Spam hunt! What to do with Viki Comment Policy's violator?

Once there are three flags, AUTO DELETE! It’s really great. Because who goes to the comments?! Viewers who want to discuss drama and those who want to be lauded by compliments because of the good work.

I like to clean it up!

2 Likes

It’s sooo much nicer when the comments section is clean from all the subsplz crap.

3 Likes

Everyone’s help is needed in Fates and Furies. There are only a couple of Ko-En subbers, one of them had a medical emergency and the other one couldn’t come, so the last episodes have been completed though the great efforts of the English Chief Editor cgwm808.
As you can guess, the commenters and reviewers have gone wild.
We are trying to go through all the reviews and downvote/flag the ones which are about slow subbing, “I am a paying customer”, “I miss Dramafever”, “legendas Portugues” and so on.
Here is the link to the reviews
NOTE:
It won’t help at all to use the filter to show reviews starting with lowest rating first. Because this drama has disappointed a lot of viewers because of its melodramatic and cliché plot, so there are lots and lots of low ratings which have nothing to do with subs (Please be careful not to downvote or flag those!!!). On the other hand, there are many sub-whiners who have given 8, 9 or even 10 stars because they otherwise liked the show.

Additionally, there is a spam user, who posted a link to another site on his review.
It’s this guy: https://www.viki.com/users/attdesikari9_910/overview
His comment is between the 10-star reviews, written on 2018-12-20
It goes:
want watch any drama earlier from viki . So visit this website and watch any Latest drama on (website address, I’m not copying it here!)

4 Likes

The flag doesn’t work? Maybe it’s weekend?

If the same person flags a few times in comments and reviews, it works normally, but there’s a waiting time.
I did it when I saw advertising on the channels I’m responsible for a few times a day and the next day, it normally disappears.
I don’t bother answer to bots, it’s bots.

I don’t delete comments when ppl ask for subs, I don’t know which category it fits in and I sometimes reply to explain or to tell them that they are volunteers working on it, so at least ppl who want to ask again already have an answer and don’t ask again (but some feel the need to ask multiple times to show that they are indeed many ppl waiting to hurry volunteers or kind of pressure them?).
I understand that many don’t know how it works so they feel it might be given up or they’re just being impatient so they just ask out of ignorance or impatience.

Also, they will just continue to ask and we can’t control this type of thing on every channel or every episode.

Don’t take it personally or don’t feel annoyed over this, you do what you can and you know what you do. But they don’t know the inner problems.

So just explain so they know that there was an urgent event life happening to one subber or don’t take it personally.

Also, I have seen that some people who comment everyday end to send a message to the Cm asking or complaining.
I answer so they have the explanation of their waiting and I also give them an alternative: there are so many dramas out there with full subs that need to be discovered that it’s pity that they waste time on waiting for subs. I mean viewers should use their time wisely and not wait for subs on a unfinished product that is in the state of being built.
In these pm exchanges, I could pass the message more easily and they don’t spam in comments anymore because I feel they have understood how it worked and why they wait (I hope so).

There’s nothing wrong in waiting for subs, because the videos have yet to be subbed compared to some other websites.
There’s nothing wrong in waiting for subs, it’s done by volunteers, no one can predict events of life or the timetable or the mood of a volunteer.

Once you know what is right and wrong, no need to feel over concerned by that.
Flag and push it at the bottom of your priority list.

Hi there!
I looked up the profile and it only shows 3 reviews none for Fates and Furies.

I am not so familiar with reviews, you can only give it a thumps down? Cause the flag symbol is giving me a “add to collection” statement?

I have a contact at Viki, who does help but as you know, it’s a sunday, but I will send a link for the reviews.

Are you sure you’re replying to my post? Because what you say has nothing to do with what I wrote.

1 Like

I was too busy checking the comments section that I forgot about the review section :tired_face:

Same fate follows The Best Chicken. Not that I have anything with that channel, but the outrage of people spewing the word “unacceptable” for slower subs is truly unacceptable!

1 Like

@bozoli
Just now there is another comment, about willing to pay more …

The first part of my answer = flag review
One person can flag them and make them disappear.
I don’t like to bother others to do this kind of task if I can do it myself and this task could be considered… ungrateful.

The spam hunt that will never end because most viewers won’t change their behaviour.
If we had to do it for every channel, old and new, we will use our time and our energy for something that is not worth it and that could be solved without having to call many hands (save volunteers from it).
Flag it a few times at different intervals (I think less than 10 times should be enough) and then let Viki take care of that. There’s nothing we can do more.
Others and you already suggested different ideas to viki to counterbalance this issue with reviews. The decision is left to Viki.

The second part = don’t feel pressured or panicked or angry or manipulated by viewers when you read their comments or reviews, so that they make you do certain type of things such as asking other volunteers to… or make you lose your inner peace.

Is it possible that it disappeared because of flagging?
Piranna says it can.

1 Like

With only one flag they disappear? Really? That’s not fair. If someone hates me, they can flag and make disappear a perfectly good review? Nobody checks?

At different moments of the day. Not immediately or they say you already did it. No, not 1 only.

Or ask the reveiewer to remove it.
One French mod asked it to one reviewer in pm and it worked.

I don’t know if the identity of the volunteer in the drama who flags it has its importance.
With flagging on channels I manage, I know that there was no problem 1 or 2 days after.

Also, there’s no use asking Viki staff in pm for this, I already tried and they said to continue to flag, it will be taken care.

1 Like

@irmar
Seems that flagging actually works. I don’t see the latest reviews, that were all and only about subtitles any longer.

3 Likes

Yes, me neither! I visited them and they are gone. Yay!
And I am sure it is automatic because it’s Sunday, so no Viki staff has seen anything.
Another proof is that although my ticket at Help and Support is still open, the spammer’s “review”, for which I had reported him isn’t there.

At least one good thing today. Maybe “subs/subtitles” in a flagged review trigger the deletion. I don’t know since I am not that much into IT, programming, algorithm and such.

1 Like

I flag “targeted harassment.” It is a targeted harassment of me, or my friends (either the one with the medical emergency or main subber of the show) specifically for Fates and Furies. If it asks for legendas, then it’s harassment of the Portuguese team. If it says tenia los subtitulos, it’s a harassment of the Spanish team.

I think targeted harassment is an apt description.

@bozoli I clean up there too. Thanks! (the harassment is also at me too, since I sub there as well to help Joysprite whenever possible).

@irmar I think three is the trick. On one channel, it’s cm, me, and the chief editor! All gone!!! Not automatic. The CMs both seem to appreciate and also flag all that SPAM! The requests for subtitles is seriously just spam.

2 Likes

What do you mean “not automatic”? If staff is not there during the weekends (which we know), and with the third flag it disappears, isn’t that an automatic algorythm that says “if three flags then delete” or something like that?

It makes me uneasy, though, if it is like that. Because people may flag an unpopular opinion which is not against guidelines and not spam, just because they disagree or because they dislike the user.

I don’t think it’s working like that.
I have to find the pm where the Viki staff told me this or we can ask Viki staff how it works in more details.

There are some Viki staff working during weekends but idk which service (I think some viki staff subbers are working).

I think when a comment (or a review) has been flagged a number of times, it goes into a list of flag comments where a bot or a program reads what everyone flagged, analyses the content and decides to delete it or no.

But there must be a human intervention when the bot is not able to recognize why you flagged it while you still continue to flag it so a human will read it and will delete it.

What I don’t know is:

• does the bot recognize who has flagged it? (if it’s the manager for ex, is it more easily recognized as deletable?)
  • are on air channels on the list of high alert for the bot, because it’s where you have the most probability to flag bec of ads, requests for subs.
    I seem to remember that when one of my channels went from on air to “not on air” anymore, I flagged but the waiting time for the analysis of the flagged comment was longer than when the channel was on air.

Idk why we don’t have an article about flag, how it works, etc. It could be useful!

2 Likes

Definitely!
But they have been ignoring our suggestions to add more reasons to the dropdown menu etc. so I’m not getting my hopes high…

2 Likes

Yes, I know…
A lot of people proposed many ideas, but I don’t know if finally one idea has been implemented. Do you know?
It’s good that they made a section like that so we could share ideas to improve the website or make it more user-friendly, but if there’s nothing implemented after let’s say one year or no news, people are bound to think that this section is just for show XD (no offense meant to anyone).

I don’t dislike Viki or Viki staff, so I don’t think they ignore us, but just that it might not be in their plan to take this section into consideration. So…

My wishing list:
I’d like that they change the powers of an All moderators, so he can do more.
I’d like they change the manage videos so we can detect more easily what has not been locked in subtitles.
Or even detect if someone has subtitled in a language where you have no subber in.
I’d like they have more options in the team notes so they’re easier to use for us
I’d like that they change their pm system so we have a real mail system to follow, have contact list or folders for dramas or the to be read messages.
I’d like to be able to delete 1 or 2 subtitles from someone else when I manage without having to delete everything.
I’d like to have better tools to manage, to moderate, better links or interfaces or the cover page interface.
I’d like a better segment timer that corresponds to what I segment when I watch it in real mode.
I’d like they rethink their Learn Mode, so we can try to subtitle in languages we are learning or a version of Learn Mode that color words that are said.

I’d like that they could let some volunteers be able to delete comments or reviews immediately. Not particularly the CM because he might want to delete every bad review that could be considered real reviews. But if they could judge what previous users flagged and make their own opinion on who could be able to assume this task with impartiality…

I thought that when I would grow up, I’d dream less, but I can’t help having some hopes left that one day…

1 Like