Subtitle and Segment Abusers

@Luzevedo Agreed with both, there are practices that are not rules per se but are “rules” within the community, people really want fast, quality excellent subs, so if we are allowed to make a Team and a head Channel Manager and Moderators exits is because there IS a protocol to follow even if it’s not written down as a “Rule”. Can you imagine how funny will be subbing without any order? It will be chaos. I was more peaceful about this too but then gradually this is getting worst and worst, and the “on air” dramas teams get the worst part.

2 Likes

What I also find annoying about the ‘unwritten rules’ is that some go like “Viki doesn’t state this rule anywhere so I can do whatever I want”. I had some people telling me that in one of my old moderating project back when I didn’t seg yet.
They sometimes don’t get it that we have those ‘rules’ to keep everything in order, give good quality subs and to keep everyone who is working on the drama informed.

3 Likes

@Dudie, @Luzevedo @BeckyK @lutra @CinthiaSilva Would you guys mind share here the links where you have seen that this happened? It will help in order to prove the Viki staff that this is something affecting several dramas, show, channels etc and not a couple of annoyed people. Thanks!

Two Weeks (http://www.viki.com/tv/20014c-two-weeks). I had some screenshots of the vandalism happened there as well if it’s needed.

Not sure if someone mentioned this yet but is there a way where ONLY the APPROVED volunteers sees the “edit subtitles” and “edit segments” button/link? Anyone else that is NOT on the team would just see the video and the other buttons. I think just like the way the QC badge is given to only those who work for it, the same technique can be applied to team members only.

Nevermind my comment if someone has already mentioned this idea. (^___^)

1 Like

This is one of the cases. I even informed Mariko about this one.

http://www.viki.com/users/HaruhiFujioka/recent

This girl started with the Portuguese subtitles. She was removing dots and adding unnecessary spaces to the subtitles that were already done by our Team. I’ve contacted her twice and she completely ignored me. She left and came back again, yet didn’t reply me. After that I locked the subtitles, because they were fixed and completed. What did she do? She went to the Persian subtitles.

For the fourth time or so, she finally replied (only when I mentioned that I’ve contacted Viki’s Staff. Before that, she was completely uninterested). I even took some print screens of what she had been doing on the Portuguese subtitles, but I’m not finding them right now. I guess I deleted them already.

She replied saying that she really translated into Portuguese, but not into Persian, so probably someone else used her account. Honestly, I didn’t believe her. I think she only replied after she realized she could have troubles. If someone used her account, why did that person stop at the same time that I’ve received her reply?

1 Like

Actually yes, because in the "submit request"screen shot are available to add.

Wow how rude is that!

1 Like

Indeed. If you visit Heirs Team Discussion you’ll also discover the number of intruders we have each week. People changing the English subtitles into another language, people translating too soon, etc.

Thank you, after put my daughter to sleep I’ll come back to start putting all the above together so I can send a report to the Viki staff to see what can they do, so at least we try to do something about this.

@Niennavalar Can you PM me your e-add?

1 Like

Your words are transmitted everyday to several persons. The rules, the way we work, the need of understanding, the patience,links over links and enough guidelines are given everyday. Some stop, some ignore you, some understand, some wants to learn and so on. But still, there are always others and others to make it difficult. We get tired from this. Lazarini has just told me something and i agree. Moderators should add subbers as they add segmenters, so this way they stop and avoid those whom are not part of the team. Same time, assigned subbers will not be wrong regarding where to put their subtitles… like we have now all segments of our language, all the parts of eps from a certain drama translated in another one. It’s really upseting. We have to delete and delete till we get sick of it.

1 Like

The current case was at Secret Ep 12, I think you would better try to contact bkiss, who is the channel manager, she will know more since she is working at other channels too.
German subs are now done and locked, I am not active there, so I can’t access history of subs.
See I have some other issue with subs, as that informal speech is used between the BOSS and the female lead. He might be informal, but I somewhat believe she will not go over that border.
I will send bkiss this topic’s link, maybe she wants to join this discussion. But I do not know when, because of the time zones.

1 Like

I absolutly feel with you, my Heirs was called Coffee House, were more of half the moderators!!! vanished without a word or just telling they would quit, but that was the minority. I think at the last third or quater of the run of the drama we were 8-9 moderators active, and there was no flag option in these days, and there were many “unclean” comments, that had to get erased. Honestly, if I could have used the time to sub, I could have done 3 dramas back then, but I felt like a cleaning ahjumma and you would even get harassed with “Why did you delete my comment it wasn’t that …”.
I only did one more moderator’s job at a running drama later on and that time was better, but at Coffee House I came home from work and would log in around 5pm and would leave at 10-11pm, to come back for a quick check around 5-7 am.
But I decided to not go for any current drama again. I am doing either older ones or if I want to I will translate some music videos or movies. But if everyone will be doing it my way, Viki will get to have another problem.
I know, how tiring it is, and I do not want to accuse Viki that they calculate the “lifespan” of a contributor, but sometimes it feels like it.

1 Like

My opinion on all the subbing issues together.

I need to add one more the One Liners, I started a topic for this some time ago. http://discussions.viki.com/t/what-is-your-opinion-on-one-liners/397/9

My proposal would be for music, news clips and TV Shows with shorter episode length, to make them open as “playground”. Since repairing or editing these will not take as long as for instance a drama or a movie. I would only use One Liner here as well.

As for drama or movies, I would chose another way, sure I know that some channel managers are taking their teams from one channel to the next, but that is a home made problem by Viki. Managers not taking more than one channel with a airing drama, not always will you get to know when a certain drama is airing, then Viki might need to reduce it in terms like a year or 6 months.
In my subbing teams I was lucky that I had a good mix of another 2 trusted Viki veterans, 2 subbers I did not know but had experience and 2 newbies, out of all the constellation I found this one the best, as you could rely on the “older ones”, while taking care of the newbies. That was a relaxed subbing. And I was editing or jumping in to help out in either missing subs or if subbers had to take care of their lifes outside Viki.

I had serveral times that people wanted to sub in German, but had some issues with the language. I only had 2 people who took the chance to get “advice” and to train the language, what better place could there be than Viki. But I had so many who would just never reply again and move on elsewhere, where no one is “watching” them and still bring on faulty subtitles.

I think it is time for Viki to not only go for numbers. How often did they talk about a quality system, were people would check the subs and recommand others. I wouldn’t mind at all to do that. But there would have to be rules and not only well ment suggestions or “unwritten laws”.

Since Viki has again changed ownership, wouldn’t it be the time to make some adjustments on this site as well and not only create a Viki Pass to raise some funds.

I often wonder, why people would translate perfectly fine, but ignore German spelling rules completely, it makes it hard for everyone.

You know I do not see subtitles as a text you are sending a friend, limited to 160 letters.

2 Likes

I have a suggestion for inactive moderators.

If Viki can remove the QC status from someone that hasn’t been translating for 6 months, they could also keep track of moderators.
For example: You’re the Channel Manager of Coffee House and your Portuguese Mod has been inactive for 3 months. Then Viki could remove him/her and maybe (I don’t know if this is possible) notify the respective Channel Managers about it. Something like: “Coffee House’s Portuguese Mod has been removed because he/she has been inactive for 3 months”.

What do you think? Bad idea?

1 Like

@Luzevedo Your suggestion is for an ongoing show? (a 16 eps drama will not air 3 months) After a project it’s finished, people are concentrating on other projects, in this case there will always be inactive mods for those dramas. But i’ll tell you what happened to me while surfing on a channel. It was a movie and there was a total mess. More than 5 chinese mods and 2 romanians who also were the subbers, but they provided total wrong subtitles. I was so iritated seeing this on the channel of my favorite korean movie. So, i asked the CM to add me as a mod. There was no answer for days. I contacted viki and became manager. Ah, on the main page the description appeared in arabic. It was time to clean up. I give some advices and i asked for editing, but they abandoned the show. So, as a CM I removed the moderators whom were mods just in title and not active at all. I searched for a good english editor (still has to be revised once more) and remade the main page. It was such a shame, so iritating to see something like that. I revived the channel somehow. I felt so good after that. So, i repeat myself, moderators should also have some skills.

4 Likes

I don’t know.
About the 6 months inactivity of subbers and losing the QC, I am not so sure either, 'cause I had a 7 months hiatus, as my subbing history said, but my QC was still there.
I don’t know, if it is because I have more than 3-4 thousend subs, or if it is related that I am still moderator or channel manager, or if the system just made a slip.
Honestly, if I remeber it right, the channel manager has the power to take the moderator’s position away and I think she did that to some, who never even answered back.
LOL it kind of sounds like attendence check.
But how will you check that a moderator is doing his/her job? Creating a page? Sometimes it’s not even that much. Keeping track of the quality of subs? There we go again.
A moderators job, at least if it’s not an English moderator, or one of a language with bigger viewership like Spanish, Portuguese or French is hard to judge. Because sometimes you are not getting any feedback from audience and other times some mind the quality of subs and others don’t.
I will think about it some more …

1 Like

That’s true, I didn’t think of finished projects. It was just a sudden thought I had, but I guess it wouldn’t work x)

I take back what I’ve said, I didn’t think it through. You are right!