Subtitle and Segment Abusers

I have seen an increase in this problem too and it seems to be getting worse. In the past it happened sometimes. But, most of the time it was done by someone by mistake. As soon as they were contacted they apologized and stopped. The ones I’m seeing lately don’t even respond to any messages and just keep subbing over subtitles. Not only the English, but over other languages too. It’s like all the channels are getting invaded. I’m starting to think QC status has something do with this. I"m not saying everyone, because most everyone on my teams ask to join. But, maybe a certain group. The last few offenders I’ve dealt with opened up new accounts and on the same day were flying through my channels and others too. I understand viki wanting to encourage people to come on and sub, but I think this contradicts having teams. I think the subtitle editor should be protected more and if you want to sub then join the team. I’m always open to meeting new subbers and having them join.

3 Likes

What is happening… let me tell you how we work now on Heirs or other shows. The moderator check if some team members are online and after a certain subber jump into the editor, the mod block the episode right away. If the subber didn’t clink from her part and don’t close the editor, she is able to finish that part’s subs without being bottered by anyone. It’s the only way when aren’t online all subbers from the team. It is really like an invasion, lol!
Bkiss - glad to hear about you. You are CM for so many channels, so you have a big problem right now! Fighting, chingu!

1 Like

@danylor, @bkiss, @lutra @Dudie @Luzevedo @JPEEZY @BeckyK Hi, thank you so much for your opinion here, It really does help for what we can send to the vIKI Staff in order to do something about all this, If you have other cases you know about, screen shots, or anything in specific you can posted here or send me a PM. Thank you. We definitely not trying to make a blacklist or is anything against anyone in specific but to show the staff that this affects us all.

1 Like

No problem! I just hope the staff can find a solution that helps us all. I know that some of the subbers that do it, may have done it by mistake without knowing etc. but then there are some abusers that keep doing it for whatever reasons even after being notifed not to. If there’s a way where ONLY approved members can go into the shows technical stuff, that would take care of people subbing by mistake and/or abusing altogether.

This is one of the craziest things I have read so far look:
“THEY SAID I ABBUSED SUBLTITLES it was me they cancelled my account who cares made a new one gonna do the same im talkking revenge on VIKI!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAA

This was posted on Episode 8 of “Marry me if you dare” can you believe this? Poor subbers… I Dare You Team Fighting!!!
@bkiss Fighting!!! I already send the report/petition for this entire issue with subtitles so let’s see… :smiley:

1 Like

Oh dear… I hope there’s a way out to prevent such a thing very soon. There’re people who sincerely work voluntarily, making them at it best, and then this person without conscience ruin it and making fun of it. That’s so cruel…For 'I Dare you Team" … Keep your spirit up, guys!!!

1 Like

@Niennavalar unfortunately I did delete the PM where someone was like I can do whatever I want since it isn’t a rule by Viki themselves. I clean up my inbox every now and then.

I hope todays drama’s will go smoothly without abusers, wishful thinking I guess though. I really hope Viki comes up with something to prevent this from happening because I would totally understand if the Ko-eng subbers eventually go like screw it I stop subbing since my hard work is destroyed anyway. Nobody wants that to happen, except the abusers, so Viki needs to think of something because their aim is high quality subs but if the people who provide those go away then they have a problem.

1 Like

These kinda people are sick!!

1 Like

I’m actually afraid for the Wednesday/Thursday drama Teams since are the most popular…SMH hopefully everything will go smooth today…

It is really annoying! It happened yesterday to my channel: my Italian section has been “attacked” by a Spanish abuser, and I had an half episode full of Spanish subtitles (almost 300 subs), I had to delete them all and close the section, it took me a lot of time and I went to bed at 2 am (you can just imagine how I woke up this morning to go to the university).
I suggest moderators closing all the Editor’s sections until English subs reach 100%, and then they would open them to start subbing, and re-close it until the next episode is ready to be subbed…and so on. I know this is not a definitive solution, because when the team is subbing the editor is open, but prevent a little more, at least.

3 Likes

yesterday it happened to the Deja Vu channel, too.

I agree. It is an amazing idea! At least, moderators can manage the channel, but they can’t “moderate” in the very sense of the word. Notifications are a good way for monitoring the Channel properly.

2 Likes

That Is what I do for weeks already but not due the abusers but due people, who are not part of my subbing team, already start subbing when the English subs are not complete/edited yet. The problem is that people start to ruin the English subs with an other language (maybe because they find their language is locked?!) and you can’t close the English sub while the team is still working on it because when you close it it’s closed for everyone.

I don’t know how it is for other languages but the most abusers, in my eyes, are at the English subs.

1 Like

I guess what the Teams can do is keep back ups of their subs so if they’re attacked you can go in and fix the subs quicker?

We await to see what today will be like.
& I can’t believe someone would have that much time on their hands to sabotage subs. tsk tsk. What kind of life must they live to take pleasure in ruining other people’s hard work.

I mean, the sub editor already does this. Whether you’re viewing in the regular editor or if you can access the bulk translator, you have the option to revert to a sub that was written before. …It’s just a bit time consuming to go in manually and click them all back.

1 Like

So when you’re talking about abusers, are these legitimately people who go in to ruin the subs…for the hell of it? Or just uninformed viewers trying to help?

There are both kinds.

There are those who subtitle without reading the Guidelines or the Community Walls. And usually they understand and back out.

AND there are those who are prompted by the team, CM or moderators not to subtitle anymore since either the team is complete or they are working on that respective video, or many other reasons.
The point is they don’t listen. It’s like they like to wreak havoc.

And these are the ones Viki Staff must do something about. Those that are doing it over and over again, either under the same id or a new one.

The only possibility to stop this is by restricting the Subtitle Editor. There’s no other way. Because there will always be at least one to destroy the work of so many people.

They [viki staff] should leave open the entertainment videos, as stated in some other posts above, and the dramas/movies should be by enlisting to the team. Thus translators/segmenters taking at least a small amount of the responsibility of one’s work. By enlisting, the moderator has them in check. He knows who is working on what.

6 Likes

People that do it with the knowledge that they are doing something wrong. Like the comment that I quoted up. The viewers that are new and normally don’t know about this do it my mistake and if you tell them they apologize and don’t slow down the process of the drama, but the latest cases are really rude people doing it just for fun or something I don’t know.

1 Like

Yesterday there was a person (another one) calling names to the “I dare you Team” she admitted that she was changing the subtitles with swearwords and all kids of crazy stuff and she didn’t back up at all, until I think she was reported.

You can read the commets and you well see

http://www.viki.com/videos/1021501v-marry-him-if-you-dare-episode-8

Wow, the same happened to the portuguese team, I got a message from the portuguese moderator saying that in less than 10 minutes some spanish subber almost finished a whole ep :frowning:

1 Like