Subtitle editor - Captioning

In the subititle editor you can now choose I would like to subtitle or I would like to caption. What is captioning?

Title updated. -machi

The definition would be probably closed captioning?
oh wow i wonder if the changes are good^^

Let’s just say you’re in the subtitle editor for a Korean drama. Captioning this drama would mean “subbing” in Korean.

Captioning is writing “subs” in the original language for, mostly, the deaf people to read. Captioning is also used to help subtitlers.

Subtitling is translating the drama into another language.

1 Like

Also, captioning helps for people who wants to learn a language by watching dramas. I know, since I use that kind of subtitles a lot whenever I want to watch foreign movies which I’m learning the language of. :smile:

2 Likes

I can’t tell whether there’s second set of segements available for saving. I’m also not sure if… having Korean open is ok. For the most part only me, my chief, and native-born + educated (at least 5th grade) Koreans have captioned it. I’m not sure if we’ll have an influx of incorrect subtitles (worse than mine. I don’t know how to space properly. Never learned formally.) will result.

Not sure! But the reason Korean isn’t locked on Korean comps is because viki sets to the language of your iOS thus Korean is unfrozen automatically (what I discovered using another person’s comp).

1 Like

Ok thanks for explaining

I wonder why they felt the need to make this distinction…

They’ve just disabled selecting the original language from the sub “To” dropdown in the sub editor and made a “Caption” button that selects the original language. Does it really save people that much time?

2 Likes

Will there be a new badge for that? If there will, then I’m down hahaha

I always thought that captioning was intended primarily for the hearing impaired. It includes in the subtitles things like: [Phone Ringing] and other important sounds that are not in the dialog. If you have ever watched a well-captioned movie, you will see that captioning is a very specialized craft.

Netflix offers this option for some of its films if you want to take a look. You just go to settings and select the option for captioning, which is a different setting from setting the subtitle language.