Subtitle Status Question and Answer

Ich habe nur den Anfang von Folge 1 angeschaut, die UT scheinen nicht ganz synchron zu sein. Tatsächlich ist das bei den englischen UT noch auffälliger, woran das liegt kann ich nicht sagen. Es stimmt, das bei einem Wert über 97 % eine Folge als übersetzt gilt. Bei 99 % ist es möglich, das jemand später ein Segment eingefügt hat und schon rutscht der Wert tiefer, allerdings sind auch alle anderen Sprachen in der ersten Folge bei 99 %. Was ist mit den Folgen 12-16, keine UT?

Das sind alle folgen die nur 99% haben und ich geh davon aus das die anderen dann in Ordnung sind.

Episode: 01 DE: 99%
Episode: 02 DE: 99%
Episode: 03 DE: 99%
Episode: 05 DE: 99%
Episode: 07 DE: 99%
Episode: 10 DE: 99%
Episode: 11 DE: 99%

The English subs do not show 100% as well and if the subtitles are out of sync that is a technical issue that only Viki staff can fix. There were other cases where some Korean dramas’ subtitles were out of sync, I remember a drama about the Neighborhood Lawyer Jo, don’t remember the right title because the title that was once worked on went to Kocowa and they retitled the drama. The out of sync happened I believe when it went under Kocowa and Viki had to fix them. If that’s the case you need to let Viki know in the Help Center the Community page and create a topic; hope this helps.
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/community/topics/115000556247

2 Likes

There are not much people in my language who translate on viki. But I’m just curious to know is there any limit that a particular moderator should only recruit this particular number of subbers?
I mean Spanish and Portuguese teams are closed very fast and that is because there are many people and is it the moderators wish that they trust all subbers don’t recruit any or there is a limit.
Thanks
Padma :heart:

No, one can recruit as many subbers as needed. As you must have seen, Spanish and Portuguese teams have 20-30 people.

I’m afraid I’m not able to understand what you mean by that. Could you rephrase it please?

4 Likes

I meant if a moderator trusts all his/her subbers well that they will stop recruiting others and they all work by themselves. Around 10-15 ppl or even less. Any way thanks for the information @irmar my doubt is cleared.

Padma :heart:

2 Likes

Aaaahhh…I see now.
But… It’s the first time all these years I hear that subbers recruit other subbers. Suggest, possibly. But it’s the moderator who has to look at the profiles and see whether they know how to write well, at the very least.

3 Likes

I didn’t understand this. Im saying in general about larger teams.

I think she’s talking about moderators who create a fixed team and move together from project to project…

4 Likes

Yes yes yes ! :+1::+1:

1 Like

According to the guidelines (https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000238047-Viki-Volunteer-Guidelines), you can not discourage members from participating in your channel.
If you enjoy working with some people, you can continue to work with them but you can’t reject new people if they are good subbers.

2 Likes

Can you please change “you” to “one”

They’re the same.

1 Like

Okay !! :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

In the end, there are mods who do such things, but as a good moderator, you shouldn’t create exclusive groups :smiley:

3 Likes

This part about “you are not allowed to discourage” etc. is total crap. You may discourage, you can discourage and you have to discourage some people. Some people are just not fit for the job, and you have to tell them “My friend, you have to sit down and learn better English for a few years, and/or brush up your grammar in our own language that you didn’t think worth learning in grade school, and then come back here wanting to translate”.

“Good subber” … what is exactly a good subber and how do we decide some objective frame to judge whether one is good or not? Yes, the obvious answer that comes to mind is “one who makes good translations”. But there’s more to it.
Some may be good subbers but toxic people who create a bad working environment within the group. Or they may be lazy people who don’t keep the assigned time frame. Or disappear without prior notice.
Or whatever reason for which you deem that you won’t work well with them.
Viki cannot know all the details (and frankly doesn’t give a hoot, and some things cannot be shown or proven with screenshots etc).
What I’m saying is that nobody can really oblige you to take a certain person. And it is right.

I always ask a group of people whom I know for their excellence. I keep a file with all the people I’ve worked with, with notes on how good they were but also how was the collaboration. When I asked them to be on a certain project, did they ignore my message and never reply, although I saw from their contributions that they were active on Viki at the time? Were they timely? Did they actively participate on conversations when all of us were discussing a problematic word, did they offer to help when one of the team had a sudden obligation and wasn’t available for an episode or two? Did they create disagreement and fights with other team members? All those things count!
So I ask those “first choice” people first. And then I also take a couple of new ones who have asked to be in the team. I look at their Recent Contributions. If they are no good I politely tell them so, giving feedback with examples. Otherwise I give them a test, or - more often - I take them in, with the understanding that after they translate one or two parts, if I am not satisfied, we will part ways without any problems. (I don’t have a set number of subbers per project, so one more or less is not an issue)
I do that

1. to give chances to new people and
  2. to renew my pool of good collaborators, because some of them sometimes stop coming to Viki, for whatever reason (they’ve had enough, they have to concentrate on their studies, their mom got sick, they got a new full-time job etc.)

That’s the reason why I shake my head every time someone copy pastes that link of the guidelines. As if getting into a team were a sacrosanct right of just any Dick and Jane.

9 Likes

I totally agree with what you said. I also practice the method of centralising the volunteers in a document, together with observations about them. Unfortunately, the Romanian community is an example when it comes to refusing volunteers because of poor quality translations.

Lately a lot of high school students, and not only, have started to show up who do not have the necessary basis of English and Romanian. You don’t want to know what a mess they leave behind them and unfortunately, they have also started getting projects for moderation or to be CM.

Viki doesn’t seem to be too interested in providing some ways to combat these volunteers. Personally, I do my best to limit their access to projects, but I can’t do much because I don’t want to leave a bad impression about myself. I don’t want my well-intentioned actions to affect my work and my possibility to be accepted as a moderator for Romanian.

I can only hope that I or other serious moderators will have better luck than them or that Viki will finally do something about it. It is very sad and I always get a bitter taste when I see such unprepared volunteers so easily become moderators with a very poor English and Romanian background.

I want to add that I always accept new volunteers. As long as it translates qualitatively, I have no limit on the number of members in a team. Right now I have a team of 12 volunteers for one of the moderated projects.

4 Likes

I should have specified that I limit the number of new recruits on on-air projects. Because newbies are high-maintenance, they need more guiding, more editing … generally more time and effort on the part of the editor-moderator, who is already pressed with deadlines and doesn’t have the luxury of giving extensive feedback etc. On old projects, where there is no time constraint, it is of course different.
Also, it depends on the project. Take as an example “Bossam”, which is a historical drama with lots and lots of special terms, and a special slightly antiquated or more formal language. You also have to be able to grasp historical, political and diplomatic concepts. For that, I cannot take just anybody, I would have to re-write their whole parts. Same for “Good casting”, which was in the world of espionnage. That was a very complicated story to understand, and the discussions were of high difficulty level. Experienced subbers got whole sentences wrong.
For a modern rom-com or school drama, of course it’s different, that’s the ideal training ground for inexperienced subbers.
On the other hand, there may be someone who is an inexperienced subber but in real life is a lawyer or works for a multi-national, so feels at home in more complicated dramas. I know a subber who is a lawyer, another who is a certified nurse and another one who has worked in the aeronautical field and is an expert on aviation terms (she was precious help when I did “Where Stars Land”, with lots of airport and flying terms).

I think we all know that there cannot be hard-and-fast rules valid for every occasion, we have to be flexible and decide depending on the circumstances.

6 Likes

Yes, you’re right. For modern projects that are lighter, a larger team is ok. For the historical ones I also have a list of some volunteers, who I know respect the specific translations as well as the more archaic expression needed in such projects. As much as I’d like to get more people on the team, I also have to think about the work I’ll have to do when editing. That’s why I prefer a small team, but one that gets the job done right for ‘costume-history’ projects.

The presence of volunteers from fields of activity that are also present in the translated projects is a great asset. The whole team will gain new knowledge, but also the subtitling will be more accurate.

Yes, not every project can be translated with the same team, so it is very good to give chances to new people who understand the importance of quality translations. The more we have to choose from, the more we will be able to offer quality subtitling.

4 Likes

I think we’re all agree with what you said. I was talking about experienced volunteers. The Guidelines are important when something unfair happens on Viki.

3 Likes