The English language lacks

Yes, “Palli! Palli!” means “Hurry up!” In Hangeul: 빨리! 빨리!
It’s written with double l only to avoid it from being pronounced as “pari”. When the ㄹ is between 2 vowels or between a vowel and an h, it’s pronounced as r, otherwise as l.

3 Likes

If you mean the part that starts around 5:03, then it’s Mongolian. They also use the Cyrillic alphabet, though it’s slightly different from the Russian version.
Or are you talking about another part of the video?

2 Likes

Sorry I can’t remember the time stamp :grin:

1 Like

This should lead you directly to the Mongolian part.

1 Like

Fascinating. So is it similar? Like can Russians understand the Mongolian language and vice versa to some degree? Pardon my ignorance…

1 Like

No, they are from different language families. Russian is an Indo-European language and Mongolian is a … Mongolian language.
Mongolian used to have their own traditional alphabet, but nowadays, through Russian influence, they use the Cyrillic alphabet for most of the area in which Mongolian is spoken. The traditional alphabet is still used in Inner Mongolia (autonomous region within China).

The traditional script, called Hudum:
afbeelding

Cyrillic and Latin script:
afbeelding

Russian does have all the letters in the name of the Mongolian capital (Ulaanbaatar), but the fact that the a’s are doubled already shows that it’s not Russian.

1 Like

wow thanks for this tip!

2 Likes

@zinniac1216, Korean alphabet “ㅂ” as you see in “바보 (ba-bo)” when doubled as “ㅃ” gets romanized as “pp” as in “빨리 빨리( ppali ppali)” or “짬뽕 (jjamppong)”. As to “babo” and “pabo”, they can sound similar when said with an accent on the first syllable in an angry or excited utterance.

4 Likes

Thank you! :grin:

I don’t think there’s an English word that is a 1-syllable phrase+a verb that sounds the same and can be completed into a sentence like in this Filipino sentence " Bababa ba? " :sweat_smile: which means “Going down?” like in an elevator, can be answered with a "Bababa. " affirmatively.

4 Likes

Ah yeah! I was watching a video three four days back about Philippines and the guy mentioned about this 1 syllable sentence.

I went to his channel for Japan’s video and now I am watching all of his videos.

4 Likes

Yes Vale, vale in spain means okey or like saying yes (agreeing with you).

But [vale] is more like saying Ballet (without pronouncing the T) balle…

ppalli (korean) is hurry and quickly (I add an accent to pronounce it my way: Pálí)

3 Likes

This is so funny bababa ba? bababa Very simple language? Not. They also say some spanish words in between their tagalog chit chat, but one of my 3 nurses who speak in tagalog language among each other (as I get my treatment), told me they have over 800 different dialects. They have relatives in the countryside they can’t communicate with bc they don’t understand their dialect.

My niece married a wonderful young man (Filipino) and he only knows the English language (raised here born in the philippines), and knows a tiny bit of Spanish (mainly curses lol). He find curses in spanish so funny.

3 Likes

@zinniac1216, I can’t wait to get in an elevator with an Filipino so I can use “Bababa”.:rofl:

@angelight313_168, speaking of dialects, MaryK and I are trying to provide Korean captions for King 2 Hearts, a 20-episode K-drama, and it’s giving us a huge headache because of the North Korean accents. It would’ve been easier to provide English translations because although it’s hard at least I can understand Korean spoken with North Korean accent but trying to write it as spoken is proving to be a real difficult task.

4 Likes

I found something that reminded me of this in Busan dialect:

1 Like

:rofl: not gonna lie, I’m guilty about the curses in Spanish too that’s why I may be Hablo Espanyol un poquito pero… I know (most of) the curse words when I hear them :sweat_smile:

@twinkling - that’s a pretty informative video and the :joy: roller coaster part with “Bababa” hysterical . They also mentioned " Kuya/Ate" which is like the equivalent of “Hyung/Unni”.

@choitrio :sweat_smile: do let us know how it goes
@mirjam_465 - does Korea have different dialects or is it just regional accents like the American regional accents like Boston, NY, Texas etc? Are they saying " Go" in the video? or something with the word “Go”?

5 Likes

They do have dialects.
In this case 가? is the Busan way to say 그 사람 (that person?).
가가 가가 is the Busan way to say 그 사람이 바로 그사람 (Is that person that person?).
가가 가가가 is the Busan way to say 그 사람이 가 씨 성을 가진 사람이냐? (Is that the person whose last name is Ga?)

But you are right that in regular Korean 가 can mean “go”, although it can also be a subject marker.

3 Likes

baba in spanish means drool

3 Likes

Baba in most of the Indo Aryan languages is term used to address either father or grandfather, mostly in rural areas since papa is now more common in urban areas for father and dada for grandfather.

5 Likes

Watch Reply 1997 to get across Busan accent, all the actors and actresses are from Busan and the story is based on Busan’s people.
Although all Korean dialects are similar to me :joy:

4 Likes

idk exactly about the different Korean dialects, but when I hear them, I think “This is not the Korean I know?” specially in DOTS(North Korean) and Oh My Venus(the school days flashbacks they spoke a different dialect i THINK)

2 Likes