The English language lacks

3 Likes

@vivi_1485 I don’t pick up on it often but there are times when I can tell something was different in the way they speak. Like one of the characters in “Witch’s Romance” - one of the (male) office workers. Also on “Kill me, Heal me” one of the personalities.In “Fated to love you” I noticed the female lead “switch dialects” or was it accents?

@mirjam_465 - I have yet to learn the Korean alphabet but I thought I heard them saying what sounded like “ka” which I think means “go”? Either way, it’s fascinating. When I think of Busan, I think of Gong Yoo and Jang Hyuk who are from there :sweat_smile::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@twinkling - re: baba - I remember a scene from “Bend it like Beckham” where the Mom asked the female lead “Do you swear by Baba-gee?” (sorry if I mispelled) and she gestured towards a portrait on the wall of a (possible) male ancestor?

@angelight313_168 - baba is drool in Spanish? Cool. I learned a new Spanish word.

I think it’s great that there are regional accents and dialects in pretty much all countries.

Found this video - I think I’m liking “Disbundar” and “Mbuki-mvuki” a lot :sweat_smile:

5 Foreign words that don’t have an English equivalent

2 Likes

Lol, kvell is also the Norwegian word for evening!

가 (Ga) does mean go, but it can also be a particle, indicating the subject.
Another person from Busan:

“Bah!” (sounds like ba) is what Dutch people might say when they think something is dirty or disgusting.

4 Likes

thank you! I have some nice language videos to watch now! :grin:

1 Like

You’re welcome! Enjoy! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Schnapsidee in German is actually not really an idea you come up with while being drunk and is assumed brilliant. Actually it is more used when a sober person comes up with a stupid idea, more like how could one come up with such an idea unless he/she is drunk. So at the end having a Schnapsidee won’t get you too much praise, but that doesn’t mean that sometimes a Schnapsidee can’t actually be brilliant but it is really a rare thing.

3 Likes

Thank you all for these fun and informative videos! I didn’t get to watch all of them but I am going to come back to watch them for sure. :blush:

2 Likes

There’s one ‘‘dialect?’’ in SK I hate so much. The one where they ‘‘scratch’’ their throats. Is totally disgusting and uncomfortable for me to hear. I can’t stand that noise. In the zombie drama, one of the actress does it all the time, and I honestly have to skip those parts bc I can’t deal with that noise. Doesn’t they get a sore throat?

Is that a dialect or just a bad habit? :thinking:

I guess I know what you’re addressing about. Is it that voice that they produce generally during speaking 가? I heard that a lot from Lee Joon Ki in Waikiki. It sounds like they are gargling and speaking at the same time.

2 Likes

Maybe one the things mentioned here:

2 Likes

@twinkling
@mirjam_465

No that’s nothing compared to this actress. This actress does that in many of her dramas (she’s good at it) In Vagabond I had to endure it too.

EPISODE 7 FROM AROUND MINUTE 9:00 ON… she has many parts in the drama I skipped. but I found this one faster.

Btw I can’t picture LJK talking that way. Gonna check waikiki to see… lol

2 Likes

I appreciate the depth you go to for details :smiley:
I haven’t watched Zombie Detective yet but I will have a look at the timestamp you gave.

1 Like

Aaa, no, no, no, it isn’t LJK, the actor, but Lee Yi Kyung whose character’s name is Lee Joon Ki in Waikiki. I like to address him as LJK.

2 Likes

I am afraid I do not know the answer. I guess @choitrio might have the answer to your question.

1 Like

I just listened. It sounds a bit like the Dutch g-sound, but extremely exaggerated.

2 Likes

May I say… grossly exaggerated hahahaha sorry but is a bit too much some parts are unbearable and that actress broke the mold. But older/seniors actors do it too.

1 Like

So do you turn the sound of for those parts?

@mirjam_465
I skip her parts so much…but is like a nightmare I can’t forget so I remember I saw it somewhere and found it but like I said she has some that are worse (especially when she’s eating) and I’m eating too. I get nauseous (it turns my stomach) when she speaks like that and eats at the same time (she always eat this dry string thing ( let me stop I’m getting nauseous) no kidding aside. I’m dead serious.

1 Like

I totally understand. I usually turn off the sound when I sense toilet humour coming.

2 Likes