The golden way of editing ... Or is there one?

In short people are upset at you because what you pointed out was the opposite of what we experienced here.

I agree with every single one of cgwm808’s points.

We do not have enough proficient (95+% Korean-English subtitlers) on viki. They number around 20? How many are active? How many can even attempt historicals?

I had to be the main translation editor on two on-air shows (not ideal because I can only do one and that very slowly. I just finished DBS and now am fully focused on Sister is Alive) because we ran out of editors. The ones who do not have any load at all are on break. That’s why your proposal to have more of this or less of that doesn’t make sense. There is no way to bring editors.

The translation editors of every language literally do not have any or very few benefits by being on viki. We do not need any subtitles. I have no problem watching non-subtitled historical, legal, or medical drama with only 95% understanding because the technical terms are self-defined (much like Irmar says it is the same for Greek).We still feel bad by reading shitty comments. They are demotivators and put-downers.

Every time I read one of your essays, it seems to me you are building an argument for why none of us should be here at all.

7 Likes

So considering other languages how is it best to address the grade level of a student?

중2 is actually synonymous with teenager so I have a lot of problems with this word. It stands for 2nd year of middle school (US equivalent of 8th grade, but most are 14 years old in western years not 13 like USA).

So for teenage angst they have this word 중2병 which is 2nd year middle school disease.

I always wondered how to best navigate these situations.

2 Likes

I can merely answer for Germany, it would be around 7.-8. class (Klasse) of any type of school.

I would not have a problem with the word teenager or teen, even if the range goes from 10-19 in number, but as you know in some states with 18 you are an adult. In Germany you are, in the US and in South Korea you are not.

Oops, there we go something like middle school disease is unheared of in Germany. Exams at the end of the year for all the subject matter of the year is not used, only for the Abitur, which depends on if you use the G8 or G9 model, so after 12 or 13 years of school.
I guess we would address it as puberty problems, symptom of adolescense/puberty, adolescent phase …

I don’t know if that helps you …

1 Like

I sent you a PM because of a matter, I do not want to have in this threat.

But no one needs to be alert it’s not dangerous :wink: Just off topic.

P.S. I know you mean that you don’t have a problem with viki, you mean the whole project, but you really have a problem with the politics at viki and how they handle things.

1 Like

You do not need to apologize, or defend anybody.

I underrstand what she ment, I just said it is unrelated to the topic I started and I don’t want this topic to go astray. I guess we came to a consent about that.
To discuss the other matter it would need a lot of effort to find a consent, but since we can discuss on that matter all day long, we as volunteers are at the shorter end at the moment, viki is the one holding the key for changes and improvements.

But I wish you all the best in bringing the Spanish subbers forward. :wink:

1 Like

Most german subbers use for this matter “elementary school” - “Grundschule”, “middle school” - “Unterstufe”, “8th Grader” “Mittelstufe oder Mittelstufenschüler” und für die älteren Schüler der “High School” die “Oberstufe”. For this reason, the moderator should have some regulations, how to translate those terms. :wink:

The only problem is those terms, about “Unterstufe, Oberstufe, etc.” are rarely in use.
And I often see those words untranslated using “Highschool, …”, study turns into “studieren” instead of “lernen”.

That depends on the moderator, if he/she has regulations for those terms. And on the editor :slight_smile:

As a german moderator, I would be grateful, if this explaination would be part of the team notes. We don’t have a german word for this disease, we would translate it as a kind of puberty crisis or fears of failure from teenagers.

1 Like

the thing is unless there is a particularly need to explain a word, I rarely see the explanations like that. I usually just translate as puberty or teenager.

It’s okay, I always got an answer from the Ko-Eng Team, when I contacted them for help about a certain word or expression. So do not worry too much.

1 Like

It took 1.5 hrs to read this thread and it was worth it.

Phew, so I’m not alone. Thank God![quote=“lutra, post:39, topic:15607”]
Other things that irritate me are often the usage of US dollar, while it is talked about won, or renminbi … I never understand why when a drama/movie plays in Korea you would use US dollar in the subtitles, when it’s about the Korean currency.
[/quote]

Yeah, our viewers need to learn ie. Korean currency Also, when you think about it, even if it appears just in the English language, why not AUD, GBP etc?

:laughing:

I actually had to do it for a recent drama - convert the informal you, to a formal one. Pain in the butt, but my mind is at ease now.

What would be WONDERFUL is if Kor-Eng subbers would make a formalities graph chart between all the main characters for translation into languages which actually do distinguish between them.

7 Likes

I know it’s a lot to ask, but I second that.

1 Like

It’s not that much to ask, when you think about it. We are just used to not asking for anything.

3 Likes

@glykeria @irmar @lutra For the drama where I am bosslady, I actually am “abusing” the lolspeak language to write down formal vs. informal. I did this for a whole episode.

Irmar you are right. Once the formalities are set, they pretty much don’t change. But…there are exceptions so I list those in TD.

These charts and things I don’t know how to use. However at the request of a language moderator I used my elementary tertiary language skills to type short descriptions for that team.

3 Likes

It wouldn’t have to be a table, since it seems Team Notes has only the basic text functions. But for example:

Person A to Person B - formal (F)
A to C - F
B to A - informal (IF)
B to C - F
C to A - IF
C to B - IF

or All persons to person C - F

4 Likes

Apologies, but I did read your post and I am now confused.

This is still a volunteer site - and absolutely no one can force me to work on a drama against my will. No one has interesting photos of me eating donuts while jet-skiing, or anything they would be able to use to compel theoretically not only my presence, but cooperation on ANY drama I am not willing to work on!

I have worked on and completed some non-historical dramas - friends asked, I helped, and other languages got the good of it, I see no reason to worry this, it was my own choice! How could it not be? Was I into the story? no. But must we all be in love with a drama to complete it, to see our word made good? NO.

It is easier when this is the case, yes.

It is possible you have me confused with another and am paying me a large compliment most likely. :slight_smile:

At any rate - well, I have editing to do - so I shall take my leave. :slight_smile:

Some episodes await my unseen hand to make them ready to view.

GeNie of the Lamp Nine Yin True Classic Manual Restoration ritual now COMPLETE! JIA YOU!

2 Likes

You did?!?! That’s awesome!! How did you eat while jetskiing? Can you jetski with one hand?!?! Jet skiing is considered an “extreme sport.” I want to do this too (jetskiing).

Ι had made a thread here asking for formality level guidance some time ago!
https://discussions.viki.com/t/ko-en-subtitlers-please-put-formality-level-in-team-notes/12036/6

1 Like

I recently encountered a “bi-currency-case” worst case scenario for me. Dollar in front Won at the end … I guess 5 million Won. I really don’t like such subtitles.

3 Likes