The highlight of your day

removed by me

2 Likes

removed by me

1 Like

Hmm, I didn’t intend to get some political discussion going :smiley: , but I really want to jump in with my thoughts, agree with most. The community rules ban that, which sucks and is plain dumb, since most things are political in this world, since most things are part of society. (I guess talking politics in group pm’s would not be banned)
Everything started from that pesky snow, it should probably be banned as well now, I guess. My precious snow… x) Though this is a thread about ones highlights of the day, though talking politics for me is often the daily highlight actually :slight_smile:, nothing like a good stimulating discussion.

Objectively speaking, things like homelessness can be eliminated, because most people don’t want to be homeless, just has economically fallen on their faces. So providing money for housing, utilities and food tends to spur people to get back on their feet faster than if they had to do it on their own. Usually people want more out of their lives than the basics, maybe one wants the new iPhone/buy a house/travel/etc, so most people prefer to get off any support and look for work, in order to get those things. It is just a question of want, does a society want to do the things required to achieve it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

removed by me.

1 Like

Not only that, you can shower and dress up in your own home, before the coming job interview. Basic dignity.

Yeah, something similar has happened here with alcohol, the country used to be so drunk that when the russians invaded we threw burning bottles of alcohol at them :D. Here where I live there is a history of poverty, with working poor and unemployment. Up until recently, within my memory, there where widespread alcoholism and domestic violence problems. Those things are connected, but not necessarily logical to someone in a good life situation. Poverty increases desperation and hopelessness, which increases peoples willingness to find a (temporary) reprieve from a substance. It also makes it harder form people to fix their life on their own. This substance abuse problems then has domino effects into other problems, like domestic violence etc.
In Finland there is a term called “yhteiskuntarauha”, which lit. means societal peace, but refers to this. When you eliminate the root causes of these problems you get societal peace, meaning you stop the dominos from falling. By paying a decent (minimum) wage and providing support to those that need it you eliminate desperation and hopelessness that then reduces substance abuse and so forth.
So I think it is important to take care of those who need it, because it helps me indirectly, so they can rise up and return the favour when someone else needs help. I have had to rely on the state a few times myself when I lost a job or similar.

2 Likes

I am honest, I have not read all you were writing, but I want to remind you that I created “The highlight of your day” to uplift everyone’s mood in sharing positive moments they encountered in these days.

Please refrain from going into detail about politics, the pandemic, religion, … You should know since this came up: Viki Community Guidelines - New Discussions forum rules

Thank you!

2 Likes

ok… I’ll remove my posts

1 Like

It’s not that I wouldn’t like discussions about politics, religion, … I really miss the opportunity, I just don’t want to see anyone getting in trouble, because most of the time the discussions started to turn into a heated debate and then Viki jumps in, and I don’t like to see that.

That’s ok. I removed them anyway. At least the ones I can find. I’ll delete the other stuff when I run across them. I don’t want to upset people and some of my comments can trigger people even though that is unintentional. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I can’t speak for anyone else, so I’ll speak for myself only. The clock is atm 09:51 in the morning, so far discussing this has been my highlight and I’m in a better mood bc of it. Tbh, I find the opposite depressing since it usually tends to be shallow fluff, generally speaking, avoiding problems gives me more anxiety than confronting and talking about them. Not everyone is the same and thus the same things doesn’t make everyone equally happy.

I pointed out the rules first and have tried to follow them to the best of my ability, so I don’t consider that I’ve done something wrong. If I get banned, then I do, I have no power over that. I have the same right as anyone else here, the right to be one-self. My comments stay until the hammer falls, after which I stop funding the community, which is something I can do :wink:

Your welcome. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you want to talk about it try to open a topic yourself, I didn’t mean to stop you in general. I just know, when discussions like these go out of hand, people will start to take things personal and feelings get hurt and at one point there is no more communication possible. So many left this discussion forum already and that’s just a sad thing. I miss the exchange on different views, but I don’t miss not reading peoples angry comments because they thought truths were lies and someone wanted to personally attack them, and it got ugly, really ugly.

5 Likes

image20210120_101510611
SO to bring back the discussion to the most precious snow. Here’s a pic from my window. A bit grey today.

6 Likes

My highlight yesterday was that I went to town the old fashion way, well not exactly, but I bought a dvd-set with Audrey Hepburn movies and my mom and I watched Roman Holidays together, I don’t know why but this old black and white movie always puts me in a better mood.

4 Likes

Oh. I thought you did mean everywhere, which is why you pointed out the guidelines, so I removed the comments I could find.

1 Like

I bring out the guidelines for awareness and to state that it wasn’t my idea. I care for this topic, since I started it and hope it will bring some warmth, comfort and smiles.

4 Likes

@mattlock
I hold there times against :joy:

Screenshot_20210120_135719
Screenshot_20210120_140045

This is how it looks with us :sweat_smile:, Our bog is flooded :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Grey as well I see :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I was a pre-teen we lived (for a while) in the country side in a huge ‘‘finca’’ and my grandpa would give us ‘‘machetes,’’ and we would make these ‘‘sanjas’’ (a straight hole in the dirt as far as we had to so the water would drain) or more like the water ‘‘would flow’’ and not stay in a puddle? stagnant? Anyway, this brings great memories for me bc we played with this mud and try to swim in this dirty water and ironically we never got sick, and ever since we came to live in the city, we were/are always getting sick lol. I have to be honest; I hated the country, but now I find myself yearning to go there, and smell the orange trees lined up in the roads, and the wood burning: that wonderful smell of wood burning sigh well, nature in its whole beauty that I never as a child wanted to appreciate but long for as an adult.

3 Likes

thanks Lutra!!

1 Like

… that reminds me of when we were kids always in the mud but we lived in the east bay area which still had quite a few open areas at that time back in the 60’s. Our little neighborhood, kinda squeezed in between the freeway, Dodge plant and other factories wasn’t even noticed unless you happened to turn the wrong way. There was lead gas fumes and noise from the freeway but it was not really polluted otherwise. The curbs were rounded into side dip barrow type pits rather that squared curbs. So in winter when the rains came to California, it would rain for days. We’d dike up the gutters and make a swimming hole, :smirk::roll_eyes: :joy: Of course, the teenagers would see or pool and run over the dike with their hotrods and ruin our pool! It had such pretty rainbow water. I told my husband that and he said, “You know what rainbow water is, don’t you? It’s oil!” I’d reply with, “At least we didn’t have pesticide ridden irrigation ditches.” and he’d respond with, “So petrochemical carcinogens are better? We didn’t swim in the ditches.” I’d just laugh and tell him I’m gonna die someday because of that but at least we had fun.

When we’d get cold, it was like winter after all and around 45 to 55 degrees F, we’d run to the back of the house where he had a hose hooked up to the sink and warm up with warm water, then we’d run back to our ‘pool’. Yea. hardy kids. :grin:

3 Likes