The new Video player beta version - I hate it!

I haven’t figured that out either. Using the old player was working fine early on Thursday, but Thursday night it’s all changed.
I’m of the thinking ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!’

5 Likes

And with the new player the casting button stays inactive so you cannot cast to chromecast or whatever stick you use?! Awesome!!!

1 Like

I got the new player today… and I deeply hate it already! It seems to me that Viki is focusing on “mobile friendly” lately, the new player is worst than the app player, I guess I’ll watch through the app now. Seriously, I felt like suffocating with that giant letters, the screen is too small (even in full screen) with the size they’re showing the subtitles, timed comments (needed to turn it off immediately) and that useless title name. Argh, just hate it!

7 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion. I cleared my history, cache, cookies, etc. and closed and restarted my laptop and now I have the ‘old’ player back.Hurrah!

4 Likes

I don’t know if this will work for everyone, but I followed @adrianmorales suggestion. I cleared the history (cache, cookies, etc) from my laptop and restarted my laptop and the old video player is back for me. Hope this helps, and thank you again Adrian!

@cgwm808 @dudie @angelight313_168

4 Likes

@aznative

I wonder if that was the purpose all along… Oddly enough, I miss seeing the comments now hahahaha

I’m gonna try what adrian suggested and you did that worked for you, and see if it will work for me. :pray::pray::pray::pray:

@aznative Saved my life!!! It worked I have my old player but I hope we don’t have to do this all the time. @adrian @aznative Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Excellent! I’m glad it worked for you.

1 Like

I just got the new player today and I 100% agree with your commentary. Especially that feeling of being trapped in the player! If I wanted a fullscreen player, the button for fullscreen is there. Why make someone completely unable to navigate outside the video? It feels so cramped!

9 Likes

I would also like to know how to go back to the old settings. I do not like this new format at all.

1 Like

I totally agree. I do not like being trapped in the video player with no way to escape (aside from hitting esc button on my keyboard), or stop the next episode from starting. You can’t even pause it anymore. I don’t get it or like it.

3 Likes

Thank you. I cleared my browsing data and the old player is back. Thank goodness. The new one is a total nightmare.

5 Likes

Yay! It worked for me, I got my old player back. Thanks aznative and @adrianmorales!

4 Likes

[quote=“irmar, post:1, topic:26616”]
POST SCRIPTUM:
Oh wait! The whole episode page with the comments is gone! I’m not able to access it from anywhere! That’s why they put all the controls in the video player itself. Now where are we going to discuss each episode, spoilers and all? This is terrible, terrible! I think I want to cry!
[/quote] Completely agree. I want to cry too.

2 Likes

Yes, and a very effective one. You can’t see any of the old comments under the episodes.

I hope this means Viki will now be responsible for the comment section and sub-whiners. You know, instead of us volunteers.

But, generally regarding this new player and other things… Why does Viki think that everything about Netflix’s and HBO’s design is so good, that they have to copy it to the letter?! I don’t understand. (I’m annoyed by both of their designs for different reasons.) Is Viki getting these tips from the viewers, or is it they themselves that don’t have their own sense of self, so they think whatever HBO and NX do is an industry standard (which is not)?

7 Likes

I decided to quit flagging and decided to not read most comment sections anymore due spoilers. Last week I was about to watch a new ep of a Kdrama and made the mistake to check the comment section… Huge spoiler on top :confounded:

If I’m segging a Kdrama I’m ok with spoilers since as segger you will be spoiled anyway but when I don’t seg I don’t want spoilers because then for once I’m not spoiled. And then it’s extra annoying to see them in the comments.

So I suggest Viki hires staff to check all comment sections 24/7 from now on.

2 Likes

@dudie

And that should include ANY/EVERY other language. Since Italian/Portuguese etc…are so close to Spanish I have read spoilers in those language no other than the main page. It’s true it was my choice to read it but I feel it shouldn’t have been there in the main page.

Lately I’ve noticed viewers writing long comments describing the whole episode in their language. I think this behavior is malicious bc what need is there to go about every detail of the episode in that comment? Something has to be done and I HOPE viki staff start working on this issue.

I just read a spoiler so detailed that I stopped watching the drama midway in the first episode (they gave the tragic ending away! grrrrr)

I have received this update:

Screenshot_20200207-191801_Gmail

They wouldn’t post it if the new vid player wasn’t adopted?

If it’s not on the main page, it’s okay to write spoilers. Otherwise where do we discuss what happened on the episode? Everybody knows this, so whoever doesn’t want spoilers should just watch the episode first. Anyway the comments are much lower than the video player window, there’s no way you would see them accidentally.

2 Likes

Yea I really hate the new Viki player too. I agree with the original post.

I really hate this new Viki player. I want to use the old player again but can’t figure out how. When it was first introduced I tried it and dislike it and was able to revert. But after I logged out of my computer and cleared cookies, re-log back into Viki, it auto plays from the new Viki player and doesn’t allow me to switch back to the old player. There are no buttons or links to the old player.

Please, does someone know how?

Thanks.

4 Likes

I was using the old player, but then I cleared my browsing data, and the new player is back. LOL. I will try clearing it again and maybe I’ll get lucky.

1 Like