The new Video player beta version - I hate it!

I saw the spoilers at the mainpage… I don’t read the comments on the episode page before I watched the episode. If I even watch the comments there.

1 Like

A few times I didn’t even start watching a Kdrama as someone spoiled the bad ending in the comments. It was so annoying but at the same time I was glad that now I didn’t waste any time on it.

2 Likes

@dudie

lol …I thought the same thing when I encountered the spoiler in the main/first page. It saved me the disappointment of that tragic ending. By the way, is a Chinese drama and it never fails to give me an ending I don’t like so halfway through the drama I got curious bc the drama was really really, good (for a change), and I decided to read through the comment and…you can say I made a good move.

Okay, spoiling on the main page is a total no-no!
Which of course brings us to the first discussion again. If they abolish the episode comment pages, where will people be able to share thoughts about what happened on the episode? I understand you don’t use the comments that way, and I’ve never seen you do it, but there are many of us who do. For us it will be a huge loss and yes, more people will be tempted to write their feelings/thoughts on the main page although it’s not allowed, and people who don’t want to know will be rightly pissed off.

4 Likes

i’m so happy that you created this thread, I was going to do it if you already hadn’t!
I HATE the new player!
I’m totally in agreement with you about all your reservations except about the 10 sec buttons, I find those very useful.
I actually think that the way it worked before was perfect, with the one exception being the opaque ending screen counting down to the next ep, many times covering funny and watch worthy end credit photos etc, driving me nuts.
So why change a nearly perfect concept? What on earth drove them to this? Like so many have stated before: Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke.
I’m gonna go and give them feedback now, corroborating basically all you said, hoping they’ll take it to heart.

5 Likes

Just noticed that the feedback button has disappeared from the beta player, where do I go now to give my feedback? I really want to tell VIKI how displeased I am with the new player.
Anyone got an idea?

2 Likes

@irmar yes I don’t use the comment sections under eps a lot, sometimes I use them but when I really want to discuss a Kdrama I usually go to Soompi or someplace else as I find those places easier to have discussions about the kdrama because it’s in one topic.

Maybe it was Viki’s intention to have the discussions on here but not many people use these forums.

This new player is really annoying. Before I loved watching here, now it’s just a pain.

Everything is way too big and hard to navigate now.

When I switch to the next episode in my browser, most of the time I see the link to the next video in the video (bottom left or right side) and it doesn’t go away. I have to refresh the entire page to make it go away.

I liked reading the comments but the new way how they’re displayed is horrible. It’s WAY TOO distracting now because it’s too big and displayed in the video. It should be in the line above it, like before. I really liked this feature but I had to disable it completely because it bothered me too much.

I’m also missing the feedback button but I guess it’s removed because it’s not a test anymore and doesn’t matter if people like it or not? Really sad, I was happy that I found this website but now watching dramas is just annoying.

6 Likes

I think this site demonstrated once again the lack of respect towards viewers, paying subscribers, future subscribers even! they removed the FEEDBACK button bc they couldn’t handle all the complains, and what i know was hundreds of very negative feedback about that new video player.

What other excuse they have to remove the feedback button and make ppl stay STUCK with that new video player? bc no matter how many times I log out, clean cookies blah, blah, blah, the miserable new thing comes back into my sight.

If this was done by experts all this shortcoming with his new player would have been caught on time, and it wouldn’t be adding misery to viewers/volunteers. It’s horrible how HUGE that screen is, how hard is to navigate other options, and don’t even let me go there: the complains I hear from volunteers that has been working here for years and have a hard time working through this new player.

Are they going to do whatever they want, and not care one bit about viewers.volunteers/subscribers dissatisfaction?

2 Likes

Just used it the first time today. I can barely tell the difference between non full screen and full screen and I don’t like that I cannot scroll down when it’s non full screen. It feels very claustrophobic now. Is there any way I can leave feedback or go back to the old player?

5 Likes

There used to be a feedback button, but they’ve taken it away.
I had also received a message in my Viki inbox asking for feedback, with a link. When I did leave the feedback, I deleted it, unfortunately, otherwise I’d had given it to you. And I also periodically delete my browser history, so I don’t have the link.

I thought of doing a post on Help–> ideas where we could all add or upvote. But @ mariliam from Viki staff seems to be reading this thread, so it felt redundant.

P.S. I only have the old player now, fortunately. How come different users see different things?
PS 2 Aaaaargh, today I have the new one again!
@4%%$##@#$!!!&*%@!

1 Like

This is ridiculous; are you guys saying it’s annoying to press something for 9364347 times? I mean, after 2 hours, when you finally found the subtitle button?..
(…sorry, I’m completely frustrated. I made a tutorial for a TOTAL new volunteer on how to access the Subtitle Editor. And the second day, EVERYTHING changed…)

1 Like

Viki made new tutorials, when it is usable, instead of losing time to make one, you can put the Viki one.

This one needs a little touch up:
Access the main page of the drama => click on the ep you want to subtitle => (use the Viki pics)

We have to update our tutorials and nssa
, their segmenting and subbing tutorials.

1 Like

@nela_114, @lunanya

Here the survey:

3 Likes

I have to agree with most of the sentiments here. The main show page going to a video player with only an episode is what Netflix does. I mean, the video player interface is just a Netflix clone except with worse placement of buttons. The next episode button is next to pause? And then you put the forward/backward 10 seconds after that? Compared to Netflix, the only difference is that timed comments are a thing with dramas. Is there anyway to stop this mobile/tablet-friendly user interface revolution from affecting desktop users? Please?

5 Likes

Since few days ago I am not able to view any video. Can it be related to this new version? I have no problem to reach profile, messages, I can explore, segment, translate, but I must reach segment timer and subtitle editor from Project contribution page.
When I open chanell page, I can see all content, but when I try to open any video, I get Error 400 (this page doesn’t work), I can’t even see the dog as usual…
I don’t want to wait for months before somebody from VIKI support finally answers…

1 Like

Viki support is usually fast enough with these things. You should open a ticket asap.

As for me, I couldn’t access the subbing tools from the new Video Player. I clicked on Translation Editor, it said “it’s being segmented”, but in reality no segmenter was there. I clicked on Segment Timer and I could access everything from there.

Yeah, I’ve seen the tutorials. It is a good thing they have this. But in the head of the poor new volunteer I’m speaking about, it’s chaos. I told her an entire story today, she tried it tomorrow, and it didn’t work, I thought she was stupid, she thought I was stupid, because, well… nothing of what I told her matched:)) All in all, it was sort of funny, but when I explained her the new mode, she was blank. Then she asked me if after the weekend things will change again:)))

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:
Epic! It’s not every day we change tutorials xd
What did you answer?

Lol maybe wait a little more before changing tutorials in case…
Ty for the reminder! Changed mine already, hoping it is understandable. The previous version was easier to explain with 1 pic.

1 Like