The new Video player beta version - I hate it!

Okay, maybe you were wondering why I didn’t give my 2 cents about the new video player. Mystery is solved I needed more than a week to finish watching one episode.
I have not turned it on and already do not like the i n v i t a t i o n.

Maybe it’s an illness of a subber.

But for me getting an invitation means I have 2 options:

• I accept it - Hurrya, I like to follow it!
  • I turn it down - No, I just don’t want to go there. I really don’t.

In the case of the new player it’s sink or swim.

There are no 2 options it’s like - Be happy to …

I am not happy. I am really not happy.

If there is no option say - try the new … experience the new… But don’t give me the illusion of a choice when this button is a dead end and doesn’t give the option of a u-turn.

P.S.
I have a notebook, yes I know a small screen
Screenshot%20(586)
This is what you do to me and others - how is this a good experience and I only started the video.
I stopped it and had to make sure that my selection for the size of the subtitles is still small and surprise this is small.

P.P.S. The next thing I do not like, yes I tend to have a lot of tabs open and all the tabs now besides of sub-editor and profiles show Rakuten, Rakuten, Rakuten, at least in the drama tab it would be nice to have the drama’s name.

P.P.P.S. Is there any difference between a full and that new small screen? In the past you could check on your inbox that way not that unnecessary as a volunteer, but now you can’t. I just don’t get why make it that alike? Easier to handle for Viki staff? What is the reason for the new player, so ads can run better? That’s the only reason I would understand so far from the viewpoint of Viki. As someone who is right-handed I wished that play, pause would switch place with the other options except for the full screen button I want that to stay where it is. But as I write it I kind of feel it’s unfair to left-handed people.
P.P.P.P.S Because I need longer to read these “small” subtitles, I need to stop the video more often and move to the left side if perhaps my mouse was on the right side this “slide whatever you may call it” appears and even makes my pause longer - this is not the kind of viewing experience I wish anyone … Do something about that - P R E T T Y P L E A S E !!!
Screenshot%20(587)
Viki - just for your information, this is no fun at all, and this comes from a rational, level-headed person.
P.P.P.P.P.S If I get subtitles like this I am not able to avoid the “kindly ment input” What drama I watch - I know that, which episode - I know that and that I paused the video - … This function does not make any sense to me, if it comes after I let the video pause for let’s say more than 10-15 minutes, perhaps then it would make sense to me. In my case it makes reading the subtitles even harder.
Screenshot%20(590)

I will look up if I find a picture with the old good size for subtitles
Screenshot%20(487)
You see this is so much more text I wonder how it looks like now but I can’t compare it since this drama is no longer available to me.

How hard can it be to understand that you want to watch an episode in a reasonable pace, you want to follow the story not constantly stop the video, getting annoyed and move on. Or stop it for good and do something else to calm down again. I don’t think that is the intent of Viki.
Please the next time - make a beta version - get feedback and for once, take the feedback into account before launching the “new toy”.

No more PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP ssssssssssss from here not that I couldn’t go on. But it Saturday, it’s the weekend. I won’t be giving feedback all day, that might not get addressed to anytime soon anyway.

7 Likes

“Mon Astuce actuelle” pour parer aux sous-titres très gros qui apparaissent normalement sur vidéo épisodes
via com

Il faut sauvegarder la modification
les sous-titre apparaissent reduit … :wink:

la couleur de fond n’est pas obligatoire (c’est un choix perso ) :wink:
c’est le small

si ça peut aider provisoirement~

1 Like

I don’t think there is a change.
Screenshot%20(586)
Screenshot%20(593)

I have the same as you only different color setting. But don’t ask me why the set card now is all white …

Screenshot%20(591)

1 Like

Try changing the size to something big and then back to small. When I did that it became actually so small I had to start using a bigger size. I hope that works for you too.

3 Likes

Please try decreasing the zoom level of your Internet browser and see if that does anything. Otherwise, just use a different browser like Chrome, at least for Viki.

@lutra Il faut sauvegarder la modification
la couleur de fond n’est pas obligatoire (c’est un choix perso ) :wink:
c’est le small

1 Like

the thing with the subs appearance have many subbers and watchers -.-
you can change like aou want and nothing happens.

AND i WANT the italics back ><

LOL Adrian I am at 100% what should I change it into?

Thanks, I tried “normal” and it is actually smaller, than the former small.

2 Likes

100% is the default level for most browsers so lower than that. In Chrome, for instance, the zoom level can be decreased to as low as 25%. Try it out when watching a video on Viki. The level of zoom will only be saved for that page, the Viki website, so other pages won’t be impacted.

@adrianmorales It’s not related to the browser, I tried Tweet’s suggestion and that worked, so now I can look at the actors mimic again and read in a good pace.

3 Likes

Another thing I seem no longer able to do.
Before going to sleep I used to turn on another episode to at least try to watch some part. These days I got a lot to take care of, so I rarely make it past 10 minutes of watch.
Thankfully I was at episode 14, so this morning hurray, drama had that last screen, that looks like a dead end rate, if you don’t rate then …
I did not rate, as I have not finished it yet. I did not go to the drama’s main page I chose to reload the page, and with that slide banner got back to episode 14, but …
Big but, if this stays the way and I will have an autoplay function, that I always turned off in the past, and that is not possible now. I will no longer turn in before sleeping. Why?
Because waste of energy. My computer, if nothing happens, … I mean if episode is done and nothing happens in an hour or so it will turn off. So tonight it ran more than 3 hours before it turned off, I can’t even think about it, if I just had started this drama, …
I am angry. Such a waste of energy. In these times.
I am not getting angry easily, but waste is something that …

1 Like

@lutra
@mariliam
You are not alone with the supersized fonts, other people on Kakaotalk in our German group have pointed this issue out!

I added to my complaint above about the missing Autoplay swith button, it’s so annoying that they had to resort to remove it, or perhaps the developers have just forgotten to add it when they were designing the new player, please Mariliam do address this big problem to the respective team, gracias.

2 Likes

Hi there @lutra and @simi11,

Good news! We got confirmation that the autoplay function is already slated to be released in the next few weeks. The team continues to work on further improvements to the player and the autoplay function needed some more time before release.

In regards to the giant subtitles, that definitely looks like a bug :bug:. I’ll be raising it up to the team! Let us know if this continues to happen after it got fixed @lutra.

@teufelchen_netty_266 We’re aware of the bug affecting Chrome browsers, which is not letting italics render properly on the video player and our team is already working on a solution!

I’m still sharing feedback with the team, so feel free to raise up any other issues or concerns you might find with the player on this thread!

Cheers,
Mariliam

3 Likes

Hi, Marilliam.

Is there any chance the team could

1. introduce a lag when hovering over menus for subtitles and episodes? Or increase the pointer-sensitive area around the menus. The menus collapse too readily. You have to be very careful not to go outside the menu boxes with your pointer, otherwise everything closes. Especially if you activate the menu with episodes - you have to move the cursor up first, to be able to go left and right. If you try to move diagonally from the icon for episodes, the menu rapidly closes.

2. Show all 10 episodes from one episode tab on the screen at once, rather than scrolling left and right?

3 Likes

And it would be great to get access to the editor per cellphone.
Since the new player I I can’t enter episodes per phone @mariliam ?

2 Likes

So from what I understand, all the complaints about the design are useless, Viki is happy with the design. The only things the designers are willing to address is bugs. Right?
There’s no chance to see our beloved comment pages back.
There’s no chance for us to see those fat enormous characters in the drama title and the Timed Comments become smaller and inconspicuous.
No chance to make the player controls more like the ones we’re all used in, for instance, Windows Media Player?
wmp
It could be, in our case, fast backwards, 10’’ backwards, play/pause, stop, 10’’ forwards, fast forward, and at the far right of all of them, next episode.
The designers of the player and those who approved it really thought that this design they made was the most intuitive and user-friendly?
Does anyone really take feedback into account? Or was the feedback you received overwhelmingly positive?
I get it that this thread is for people who hate the new player. But I didn’t see another thread popping up, titled “How I love the new player!” Maybe it’s true that most people write only if they’re unhappy about something, but still, would you mind sharing the general statistics of the feedback? Because I’m really curious, even if nobody from the Viki higher-ups is.
I think that asking for our opinion is just for show.
Dear Mariliam, I have nothing to say about you personally. You’re a very sweet and very capable person, trying to do her job as best she can, in the most diplomatic way, to keep everyone happy, and it’s a tough balancing act, I can tell. And I am sure you’re passing on feedback from us to them. The problem is the feedback from them to us, which is just a trickle.
The focus in every interview I took part in was on how to attract more new volunteers. What’s the point in doing that when on the other hand you are making the existing volunteers unhappy and exasperated with the lack of collaboration and lack of goodwill from the part of Viki? The new ones will also leave after a while, disillusioned. Or just keep doing their 500 subs per 6 months, just to be able to watch dramas (I know many capable people who did just this). Is that what Viki wants?

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

@bozoli - Thanks so much for the feedback. I shared both points with the team just now.

@teufelchen_netty_266 - This was intentional as we’re currently not supporting mobile access to subtitling tools. Can you let me know how you were using these before? Where you contributing, sending messages on chatter, managing a channel with your mobile device? Would love to understand how you were using it on your phone.

@irmar - Thanks so much for understanding! In terms of design, you are correct the design has been set, but the design is mostly look-and-feel. Functionality is another matter altogether and we’re actively sharing feedback with the team regarding functionality, bugs, annoyances, etc. This includes issues with different screen sizes rendering subtitles and timed comments in a disproportionate way, amongst other issues like the ones I mentioned before in this thread. Sorry I didn’t acknowledge that beforehand!

As you know we did ask for feedback about the player in various stages of development. I’m not at liberty to share the results but I can say that they were overwhelmingly positive. That doesn’t mean we will ignore functionality issues though, which is why I’m doing my best to put these issues forward to the team in charge.

I will share your suggestion for player controls, but since the positioning of the controls was a design decision, they might remain where they are, even if we add more functions later. We might still revisit this some other time!

I hope this answers some of those questions you and many others have about the new player and development/design decisions. We want to continue improving the experience as best as we can with every release!

Happy to discuss further if there are more questions or feedback.

All the best,
Mariliam :star:

2 Likes

@mariliam: I got acces trough my browser on my phone. I used the desktop version and so it worked. And now you can’t enter the editor, because you can click on the editor button (the pen) a view times when the episodes starts, but nothing happens

Screenshot_20200311-104153_Samsung%20Internet

Hi there @teufelchen_netty_266,

Yes, as mentioned before that is intentional. Were you accessing tools from your phone to contribute or for some other actions? Can you clarify?

Thanks,
Mariliam