The new Video player beta version - I hate it!

@mariliam
Could it be an option to put the "re-direction arrow to the main channel page from the top left in between the player tools at the bottom?

At least with a laptop too much is going on in the left upper corner. Comments are off from my side, I just started recently to turn them on again, but seems that was a short experience.

I was watching a movie last night, and when it ended it automatically brought me to the main page …
Is Viki thinking about an option, because it’s really a lot of “work”, if you watched a movie/episode to go back or to rewatch, because I do not see an option, you are either quick in pausing, or need to make a detour that is not fun.

I am glad to hear that the auto-play will be gone, hope I survive these weeks.

The trouble with the font size is simply to handle like tweet998 suggested, by changing the font size. However, I do not know, how … Since now the normal size is the new small for me.

2 Likes

It used to be so much easier before to go back to the homepage by right-clicking the Rakuten Viki button which used to be on the top left and then I used to open in a new tab. The button which is there now does not accept right-clicks. I am forced to leave the episode to see what’s going on in my inbox and my Disqus.
Please, at least make that button accept right-clicks to open in new tabs.
There is something else, which I am pretty sure isn’t intentional, and that is that when is use the “Esc” button to exit full-screen mode, the screen button for full-screen remains as “Exit Full-Screen” and you have to click it twice to make it go full-screen again. It’s no big issue but it’s still wrong.
P.S.

Update: The new player seems to have fixed this problem so I have to thank you for this. I can now watch smoothly without having to leave and come back again. :slight_smile:
Another positive thing is that it seems to be more sensitive to where I left off than the older one which used to frequently lose where I left off.

It would have been better to make the button display a message that explains that this page is only available via computer browsers instead of it plainly just… not working.
As a matter of fact, I have made my first contributions via a tablet. If it hadn’t worked at the time, I would have just given up the whole idea completely. All of this is regardless of the fact that I am against this action as a whole because let’s say that one of us had something wrong with their computer. Now that would hold all of their projects back while it could have been possible (although not easy) to contribute via another device until the problem is fixed.

@mariliam Thank you so much for your support with our wishes and sending them to the devel. team, I trully appreciate it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::bouquet:

One more thing I realized few days ago, as there is a forward button > to the next episode was the back button < to the previous episode forgotten or omitted?
If they could add it that would be super awesome kind. :wink: Thanks again!

1 Like

I hate the new player, too!
Pages take an excessively long time to load and I have to wait a long time to exit the player then another long time to turn the player back on - I used to be able to just scroll down a little during an episode to look at something or right-click an item (after all, I can just listen for a few seconds while I look at something else).

Bring back the “previous episode” button, please.

But most of all, give us back the option to scroll down during an episode to see and right-click actor names, etc.!

5 Likes

I hope and have FAITH it will be fixed since @mariliam is giving us HOPE and some feedback something we didn’t have before. So to be fair I went to the new video player hoping something had changed in there but I saw no changes and it was hard for me to keep on watching (it pauses and won’t unfreeze after that I have to reload page), so I gave up (I’m watching Rviki via my TV).

The most annoying thing happening in the video player that I was watching; [The Game: towards Zero] and I had already watched episode 1, 2, 3, and was on my way to 4 when out of the blue the thing starts playing episode 1 again! so I click in the box that clearly says Episode 4, that supposedly brings me to the episode, and NOT happening (episode 1 started playing again! :rage:

So I go to main page… click on episode [4] box thinking I would start watching episode 4(like it used to do before), and I see… you guessed already? Episode 1! Gosh was my blood pressure about to blow my head up. I just gave up. Whenever is fixed I’ll start watching here at the site but for now my TV is the source of video watching. To do subbing I’ll work here at the site since I’m getting the ‘‘hang’’ of subtitle tools in new video player. so far…so good.

2 Likes

@irmar, I agree with you totally regarding the episode comment sections. I miss them and I use to say (when I would be commenting to complainers, in defense of Viki) that the interaction allowed on this site was one of the biggest strengths that set it apart from other sites. I don’t know if this interaction will be completely lost, now that it seems episode comment sections are gone with no chance of return, or if the community will evolve to find some other space for it. As things stand, I’m not sure how that can happen with what we currently have…the main page would be inefficient to use, in addition to the issue of spoilers if the main page was used for episode conversations. I have been away from Viki due to studies, and I was planning to return early April…I’ll be coming back for the dramas, but I’m less excited because I won’t be able to discuss them with anyone. I do hope, at least, that by April, the other problems that people are experiencing will be resolved.

3 Likes

There’s no need for that since they provide the strip where you have an overview of episodes 1-10 (and then 11-onwards) and you can choose among them.

I believe one click is really the easiest to do because I have to do more steps to go back with the episodes icon and then my cursor doesn’t always stay on the banner and I start all over again.

If there is a forward button it makes sense to have a previous button, I’m not the only one who sees this practicality. It’s already hard enough to use the left side commands from my touch pad on my laptop cos my finger needs to glide much more further… I already have some joint issues. Center makes more sense for right and left handed, so yes a I like a back button, because the autoplay is not fixed yet.

4 Likes

I’m with simi11 on this: There is a need for a next button for sure! Many series have 50+ episodes and you need to click through pages to reach the next episode so why not a next button? It would so simple to add and make the site much more userfriendly.

I used to click the last episode in my watchlist on the main page and from there click next, but since that is gone in the new player a next button would be appreciated.

4 Likes

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be handy. I just didn’t focus on that because there are other things that I thought were much more serious. What I do right now is that I slide the slider to the very end of the episode, and then the “next” thumbnail appears. That’s why I really didn’t think it essential. But yeah, a dedicated button, always there, would be nice for sure.

I did not know that the next button appears when sliding to the very end. Cumbersome but a better alternative than having to go through all episodes pages so thank you for that tip :slight_smile:

@cairns la discussion de nouvelle email inbox (personelle) se trouve ici, si t’aimes contribuer quelque chose ou un problem. La page de message apparement n’est pas encore tous fini. Quand meme c’est terrible :scream::cold_sweat:

1 Like

Don’t know if viki team is reading here but I watch on a bigscreen tv so the subtitles are still very large and there is no extra small option. Surely it can’t be too hard to add a smaller option because when the subs are up to 4 lines it fills up 50% of the screen. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They also added the Auto Play button back…

the fonts size and style is in the settings, have you tried it, it might depend on which browser you are using and also if you perhaps used zooming… not sure if it actually works in the video, it used to before the change…

1 Like

Yes, I have checked the size and font and they are still too large. I do not use zoom, only the fullscreen option. I use firefox - is there another browser with smaller fonts?

I see the Next button and I’m happy about that. Under Continue Watching I click the last episode I watched and click the next button from there like before.

@stockholm_syndrome Did you ever change the size of the subtitles in the settings? I had the same problem and tweet998 suggested it to me. After changing the size of the subtitles to normal, it was actually smaller for me, than before.

I sat it to small. But haven’t tried larger sizes. Will do - thanks for the suggestion.

Is anyone else having issues with playback using Chrome? It keeps looping the same time over and over for me…

I tried logging in IE and it works fine there but not sure if this is a known problem.

I changed to it Normal and back again and now it worked. The font is finally small. Can’t believe I didn’t think of that myself - I usually encounter silly techissues like this and I should be use to it by now :smile:
Thank you again Lutra

@stockholm_syndrome No worries, I was the same … Thanks to @tweet998 ,if I didn’t get that suggestion, I would probably still have huge letters on my screen.
You were lucky that I remembered the issue as it has been some time now. Good thing it worked for you. Now have fun watching!

3 Likes