The odd things K-Dramas taught me about Korea!

Really! You are a classic Godzilla fan too?!? :laughing:

1 Like

Oh yea! I did see that one. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Slumdog broke the mold , it was a very good movie, but to break the darkness , they did a corny Bollywood style dance number in the ending credits

1 Like

Well most Indians speak 4 to 5 different languages, and the key to them doing this is not mixing syntax with others, so when they do speak another language it is even with accent , damned near flawless; my boss told me it helped to think in the other language when you spoke it. Real Goals for me.

3 Likes

Well, in all honesty that was the part I loved the most. The dance was exciting and they looked so cute dancing together.

:rofl: This reminds me of one time when I went with my mother-in-law to exchange some shoes for her daughter because they didn’t fit. She had a very heavy Tagalog accent. I will try to write the accent?

Cashier, “Can I help you?”
Mom, “I nid to change dees chooz. Dey dun pit my dahtah.”
Cashier, “I’m sorry, I didn’t understand.”
Mom, “What she say?”
Me, “She did not understand you.”
Mom, “I brring dez chooz back because dey no pit my dahtah.”
Cashier, “I’m sorry, I don’t understand what you said.”
Me, “She said the shoes don’t fit her daughter.”
Cashier, “Do you have the receipt?”
Mom, “What?”
Me, Do you have the receipt?"
Mom, “Oo. Yes.”

I was trying my best not to crack up. Everyone was talking English but I was the only one who understood both sides. And I was really getting annoyed with the cashier. This was in a shopping mall in Daly City - a city just south of San Francisco with a HUGE Tagalog speaking population. There is no excuse for that clerk to be so language stupid. Especially in Daly City! She didn’t even try to bend her ears to understand. Does she not talk to her neighbors? Did she not have any friends in school? Is she an import from some English-only universe? What planet is she from? How can she live here IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA and not communicate with people? San Francisco has people from all over the world! We are talking polyglot central! I have a very hard time and no patience for English-only mentality. My mother-in-law spoke 5 languages FIVE! She TRIES to communicate. I have respect for anyone who tries to speak another language and I try my best to understand accents.

Ooo! Another fascinating story! This one. ( I LOVE languages, by the way.) Back in the early 80’s I used to work in a professional photographic equipment store just south of Market. We got customers from all over the world visiting that store. Usually I have no problem understanding what people were trying to say but this one time I could not ‘hear’ what they were thinking behind their words.

(Yea that’s a weird sentence) - How do I explain how I understand people. I listen not just to words, but to body language and their 'thoughts" ??? Yea, weird. Ok, So on with the story.

Anyway, this couple, From Mainland China, were talking to each other in low voices and scrambling though the pages of a book, which I presumed was a translation book of some kind. - This kind of stuff always intrigues me, so I waited patiently for them to translate. -

Finally they looked up and said, in a very lyrical and very oddly accented English. “How much is that cam-may-ra?” and pointed to a Leica 35MM. Their English was nothing at ALL like the English you can hear in Chinatown a few blocks over. I was fascinated by their accent and by my lack of being able to ‘hear’ or comprehend their thoughts. We went back and forth a couple of times about the camera. Me being very slow to speak English and using simple language. Absolutely fascinating! I could not hear one thought! or the thoughts I ‘heard’ did not make any sense at all.

Ok, So a few years later, at a different job, we had an accountant who was from China. I told him about that story and how fascinating it was to listen to them and he jumped in happily and said, “They did NOT speak a single word of English! They were looking through a Chinese almanac and there is no alphabet in China so to you have to look at characters that represent words that are close in sound to what you want to say, but of course, the meaning is entirely different, which is why you could not hear what they were thinking. They were thinking nonsense words!” So the almanac had them saying things like; "jump, peony, fortune, left, inside, run’. etc.

And there you go. The reason their thoughts made no sense to me. :sunglasses: :rofl:

Oh! Another time, same job. I was speaking Spanish to some customers and they suddenly had blank, “huh?” expressions. Without realizing it, I had come across a word that was the same in Tagalog and switched languages on them. :rofl:

and another time, as a rather egregious joke, I had this Gaelic phrase on my sales binder. Ta fhios agam airgiod gulore aghaibhe" - Meaning, “I know you have a lot of cash.” Yea, I know. really bad, but FUNNY! I had put it on the sales binder because I thought it was hilarious when I found it in a Scottish Gaelic translation booklet. It was what local clerks said with a huge, welcoming smile to visiting English customers. :joy: One day, a couple from Ireland came into the store, looked at the binder, then at me, The GIG WAS UP! BUSTED! Their expression was priceless, they were amused and surprised at the same time. and said something pithy. lol I could only grin. Of coures Gaelic speakers would visit that store. :sunglasses: :rofl: :sunglasses: BUSTED! :sunglasses: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :joy: :joy::rofl:

4 Likes

I considered knowing more than one language a gift and a privilege to have, but with all honesty if the pronunciation or as I call it ‘‘heavy accent’’ is so strong, and people has to struggle just to be able to understand them, then in my personal opinion, it serves no purpose. Knowing a Language is to me the ability that we can clearly communicate between each other. .

I consider knowing any language when we can understand the person we are communicating with. I was getting treatments for my Lupus, and the nurse from India, every patient in that clinic refused to be taken cared by her bc we couldn’t communicate with her, and when it comes to you getting through an IV medicine; you need to know what this nurse is telling you she’s putting through your veins.

We had two Filipinos nurses and they spoke Spanish, Tagalog, English and a dialect from their country. It was very easy to understand them, although an accent/pronunciation issue was present, but they made sure they spoke slowly to the patients. The Indian nurse spoke like she was running a race, and so did my Landlords. I’m guessing they speak very fast? It never made sense to me that they didn’t even TRY to go slower so we can communicate better.

1 Like

Well I work in the IT field , which has a lot of Indian people in it , so I may be used to the accented speech, I will admit however masks these days make it hard to understand even native English speakers, never realized how much I relied on facial expression in direct communications.

4 Likes

I live in Tennessee and sometimes have to make a translation of what some of my co-workers from Alabama said … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Funny you mentioned this I called a credit card company, and the lady had a heavy southern accent, and I apologized to her profusely bc the poor lady had to repeat things so many times bc I could hardly understand her and I had to hang up. But strangely enough, I understand Dolly Parton, and she has that heavy southern accent too.

1 Like

Dolly’s accent is East Tennessee, which has a lot of twang in it , but the speech is clear ( I can’t speak anything ill of her , as I see her as a National Treasure with her philanthropy ) , but Alabama and the Carolinas have entirely different pronunciations and words you never heard of in their speech, and then there is Memphis , where I live that I have trouble understanding people on the other side of town…

2 Likes

She also does stuff like this: Gatlinburg wildfires: Dolly Parton pledges additional $3 million to help victims (usatoday.com)

1 Like

I also read an article that Dolly Parton donated a lot of money for the Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine. That’s such a wonderful thing to do when you have money and share it with others.

then she may have not known English itself very well-- there are two types of people: one that properly learns the language and makes an effort to actually communicate. The other is the one who just picks up the language for the sake of it and speaks really fast so that any mistakes will be hard to catch.
On an average, I think South Indians + Bengalis speak the best English (but some south Indians have very heavy accents so they’re hard to understand)

1 Like

I know! I never really paid attention before but I found that so many people in the U.S. do not have expressive eyes! Behind the masks, their eyes do not change expression - dead eyes. You can’t tell if they are smiling or not. Maybe that is why I like Korean dramas. People in Korea have smiling eyes.
(Korean people are really Irish people in disguise. :thinking: :grin: :rofl: Just kidding!)

Now, that thar is some real folks tawkin’ :sunglasses:

Loosana Cajun. (Cajun is short for Acadien - French descent people in Louisiana) an interesting accent.

i literally spent ten minutes searching for this gif after you said that :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
yas

4 Likes

Rock ,Scissors , Paper can solve 2/3rds of all problems

4 Likes

Aw! I love that gif! :sunglasses:

Yep! Rock, paper, scissors determined V was gonna be it. :laughing:

I LOVE GO GO! :grin: Oh! They are singing about parties, money and how to squander it.

3 Likes

Macarons are apparently the desert of the Gods, because they are everywhere

Behind South Korea’s ‘fatcaron’ sensation - YouTube](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXx5_EBeBWY)

1 Like

Rock Paper Scissors in Korea is not a game, it is LAW. :joy:
K-pop band iKON uses RPS for line distribution and who has to wear the cringey animal onesie. EXO’s Kai is forever using it for any problem he faces. It’s the best solution for lazy people with indecision problems. :sunglasses:

3 Likes