The odd things K-Dramas taught me about Korea!

All veins, and nerves end in the hands, and the bottom of our feet. Oriental treatments work with the natural way the body works.

2 Likes

Oh my, those are hieroglyphics, aren’t they? :joy:

1 Like

They are indeed, confused the heck out of me for a drama about the three kingdoms of Korea. Goguryeo, Silla and Baekje.

Although I have to make a correction for the second scenery/set location
riversub
That’s not how you spell Subways in hieroglyphs. :rofl: (maybe it reads vulture foot long made fresh instore)

4 Likes

This article might help, it’s about all the kingdoms of Korea: https://www.soompi.com/article/1219871wpp/best-historical-k-dramas-watch-time-period

:joy::joy: Subway is, was and will always be.

3 Likes

Korean women don’t get horny. They simply slap themselves twice in the face and ask if they are crazy if an erotic thought arises.

4 Likes

They also exercise. Men too. They go for a run, have a cold shower (like in The Sims)

6 Likes

The famous self talk, after the slap :joy:
너 미쳤어! ?
neo michyeoss-eo! ?

5 Likes

Talking to yourself out loud on a sidewalk is totally normal.

So is sleeping with lights on, usually more than one.

But seriously, one of the things I love seeing in kdramas is boxes of delicious food wrapped up in shiny, colorful fabric. This needs to start happening in my life. I might start packing my own lunch that way. (And yeah, I’m still working from home. Come at me.)

8 Likes

:laughing::rofl: too cute! :laughing:

4 Likes

You can totally do this for yourself at home :wink:. I don’t know what it’s called in Korean, but I use a furoshiki to wrap up bento’s. It’s fun :blush:

3 Likes

It’s called 보자기 (bojagi) in Korean. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi @vivi_1485,
Thought I’d piggy back on your post with this video!!

Hope the fans find it relatable, and of interest.

1 Like

The key to a successful pregnancy is not good pre-natal care , but having a family matriarch have a dream that tells her that her daughter , daughter in law or granddaughter is pregnant. Usually someone throwing chestnuts at the Grandma. Grandma always knows before the announcement , even when they live hundreds of miles apart.

3 Likes

The concept of taking responsibility for encouraging someone’s feelings.
If a person makes a move on you and then ghosts you, you have the right to ask the person to take responsibility. No having to play mind games. The confession comes out faster. Therefore, if you don’t want to confess, don’t make a move on the person. If you want to play push and pull, do it without touching the person(except to grab their wrist and drag or whirl them around). I’m seeing that in a lot of dramas.

2 Likes

There are a lot of guys in long kaki trenchcoats waiting around in neighbourhoods for the right timing to flash a (young) female. Sometimes they have a perfect get-away route, but sometimes they get a beating sooner than later… :unamused:

2 Likes

ikr theey’re alWAYS wearing the khaki trenchcoat! :flushed:

1 Like

I guess they all watch K-dramas too :unamused:

2 Likes

I was rewatching Touch Your Heart and got to the part where he gets a teeny tiny scratch on his neck… these were the TCs :joy:

4 Likes

Pervert flashers always wear Freddie Kruger style striped socks

1 Like

People in K-Dramas go up the outside steps to their rooftop apartments and almost never are out of breath at the top. The rooftop usually has a lot of amenities like a greenhouse, couches, chairs, hanging lights, picnic tables, etc. so that the man can fall asleep on the picnic table while waiting for the girl. There must be some kind of law whereby rooftop apartments can only be rented by the females, and the female lead in particular. About half the time, the female has to be carried piggyback up to the rooftop apartment and you only get to see that she is tucked into her bed by the man who is not sweating.
I don’t know why the main characters wear aprons. The aprons are always spotless even after making a 10-course meal and after the dishes have been washed.
I don’t understand how the tiny main actress can step on the shoe of her boyfriend, and then the boyfriend is suddenly in excruciating pain, hopping on one leg, and has a contorted face. Then, the boyfriend will limp.
The actress will be poor and have no money to eat. Then she will suddenly seem to have an unlimited amount of money in order to take a cab to go to the boyfriend’s home or workplace.
No one in Korea is ever angry enough to yell, “I quit!!!” and then walk out. Instead, they get angry but hand over a weirdly-narrow envelope to his or her boss with a handwritten message, using two hands for the envelope and bowing to the obnoxious boss. I guess that resignations and termination of employment notifications are never handled using email.
There is always a towel in the car when the girl gets caught in the rain. There is always a blanket in the car when the girl is cold.
The food is always hot - steaming hot. The soup bowl always has steam coming out of it. One of the mothers in Kdramas has an illegal monopoly on playing the mother role, because she plays the mother in 60% of Kdramas. The same goes for the head father/grandfather who is the chairman of the chaebol - about 40% of the time, it is the same guy.
You can usually tell who the bad guy is as soon as you see him. He looks mean, has a really evil smile, and always persuades the girl to spend time with him, go eat a meal with him, or go for a ride in his car to an empty house.
Dogs are often tied to a cable outside near a door of the apartment or house, but are always gone when the main characters are running inside the door to get out of the rain. Indoor dogs always appear to me to be very uneasy from being picked up by the owner who is the main character because the dog obviously has never met the main character before, but everyone acts like the dog and the main character have know each other since the dog was born.
The man often has to hide in the closet of the woman when a new visitor shows up. But the secret is ruined because the visitor always sees the shoes of the man by the front door, or sees the two sets of plates for eating on the table.
Someone’s phone battery dies at a crucial moment, and there is no place that it can be recharged anywhere.

5 Likes