The odd things K-Dramas taught me about Korea!

:joy::joy: I’ve watched dramas where the character yells “I QUIT!” and then comes back with the resignation letter. Probably because respect for authority is taken very seriously and you have to be respectful. It doesn’t matter whether your boss is obnoxious or not, you still have to honor him/her.

4 Likes

being scared at every little thing. or that high pitched voice, orwheres that white paneled truck? havent seen it lately oh and umbrellas,

3 Likes

100% way for a guy to be rejected on a blind date. - Have pattern male baldness. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If I could get the concession for selling envelopes in Kdramas, I could retire early.

5 Likes

It’s cigarette lighters now and not umbrellas :slight_smile:

4 Likes

oh yeah thats right! now more into cigerette lighters!!

I was laughing my guts of
 So true. So good written. Outstanding review of pros and cons of Korean dramas
 Some changes happened on the way (Mouse for example), but that “middle mass” has all these things described in the topic. Thank you so much. You made my day. :):rofl:

5 Likes

I don’t know if this is exclusive to Kdramas, but not only will she have seemingly endless amounts of cab money, she likely will have an endless supply of coats. I always wonder not only about how they have enough money for that many coats that are clearly worth a pretty penny, but also where they keep them in their tiny apartments.

5 Likes

That’s hilarious! Great business idea!

1 Like

Your comment made me think of a few more things. The cabs are always perfectly placed or perfectly not placed. In My Private Life, there always seemed to be a cab waiting outside the Museum even though there are no pedestrians anywhere. Cabs are immediately available when it is not raining and the main character is in a huge hurry. Cabs are usually unavailable when it is raining. There is only a single cab for the two main characters when they don’t know each other.
Almost always (with exceptions), a female main character never has an umbrella, and is stunned when she is suddenly shielded from the rain when a man holds an umbrella above her.
I have never seen a man drenched from tire splash on the road - apparently only female main characters get splashed.
The two main characters end up being forced to spend the night together somewhere, often when they are dirty or grimy. While there, sometimes they have to wash their clothes, but it seems like the underwear is never washed :joy:
Side dishes are prepared by a mother of one of the main characters (a secondary character can’t have side dishes from a mother). I have never seen just a few side dishes. There are always so many and so much quantity of side dishes wrapped in a cloth that it is a huge physical struggle to carry, ending in a huge sigh or grunt when the cloth is set down.
The main female character has modest practical nails that look like only a transparent light pink nail polish has been applied. If fake nails are used by any female character, that character is usually bad (with the exception of Graceful Family).
I have never seen a romantic comedy that is missing the obligatory scene: one main character falls down on top of the other main character, and then they stare into each other’s eyes; or modified by a falling scene where the male character catches the arched back of the female character so she doesn’t fall, and then they stare into each other’s eyes.
One of the main characters always has an amazing and expensive car. The other main character rides the bus. If the car-owning main character is ever forced to ride the bus, he doesn’t know how to manage the bus fare transaction (no bus pass, no actual cash or coins, no idea of how much it costs, tries to use a credit card for the bus fare).
The main male character sometimes has an elegant dress plus accessories delivered to the female character so that they can attend a fancy function together. The dress always fits perfectly even though most people shopping for their own body can’t find a dress that fits perfectly on the first try. The high heels always fit perfectly.
Alternatively, the male main character brings the female main character to an exclusive female clothing store. There are never less than 3 staff members that select dresses or dress the female main character. At some point, the female character gasps when she sees the price tag of the dress. About half the time, the female antagonist shows up at the same store at the same time. If the female antagonist doesn’t meet at the clothes store, the female antagonist sees the female main character at the fancy function and is angry by how nice the female main character looks.
The male main character usually takes a shower at some point, and is usually seen by the female main character when he walks out of the bathroom wearing only a towel and having a drip of water fall down from his hair in slow motion, while he is wearing makeup.

5 Likes

Add C-Dramas to that :joy: you’ll retire twice as quick! :rofl:

1 Like

I dunno about the politics in feudal Korea, but either/both the right or left minister is always crooked and has more power than the king and is willing to kill just about anybody who gets in their way.

7 Likes

And the Inn or Hotel only has one room available 

6 Likes

Product placement out the wazoo 
In Chicago Typewriter , when the girl steps inside the guy’s new Kia Stinger ( apparently it worked as I remember the name and type of car ) and says, ‘Wow, if this car were a guy he would have abs’

4 Likes

Accurate and thorough. I feel like I just watched a whole drama while reading your post. :joy:

The drama I’m currently watching meets 99.9% of these, although in a shocking twist, it was the second lead male who got the female lead the fancy dress to take her to a fancy function, but the main male lead and second female lead were obviously there and jealousy ensued all around, of course.

5 Likes

I don’t know if someone already said this one, but I was watching a drama where this appeared and I got flashback to other dramas with this trope :roll_eyes: :unamused: :laughing: .

Whenever someone has something really important to say, they don’t get straight to the point. They talk very slowly or say a bunch of unrelated things first.

As they are about to say that very important thing they a) get killed b) change their mind or c) get silenced, either by fainting / getting knocked out / being threatened, etc.

Very handy system to prevent secrets from getting out :laughing:

8 Likes

This is so infuriating.

Along the same lines, when the ML has done or said something that caused a misunderstanding with FL. She is furious and demands an explanation but literally doesn’t give him a chance to say more than a few words before she continues to berate him, probably calls him some names, and proceeds to storm away.

5 Likes

117410994_3369916323058778_7138622323352598071_n

Kim Mi-kyung , ie, The ‘Mother’ or K-Drama

6 Likes

118161298_3373069412743469_6335777664636148626_n

Only in K-Dramas , this jacket is not considered ‘loud’

4 Likes

In this case it was a very important secret. People in the TCs were basically cursing out the person, because [I don’t mention the drama, so it’s not really a spoiler] he got killed before he said the secret and this might have prevented his death. With his dying breath, he finally told the secret (in other dramas the character would’ve just died).

Le sigh.

What you just said is also so annoying. 1) Just give them an answer quicker. 2) And let the other people talk when they have something to say :laughing:

5 Likes