The odd things K-Dramas taught me about Korea!

I’ll add to that. D) Their mobile rings and they have to take the call. In which case I’d suggest that they think outside the box and phone the secret/important thing to say to them. Their chances of getting the message across has just increased if they tried that. I say increased only and not with certainty as you know what’ll happen, the doorbell will go off and they have to go see who it is. (doubly galling if you happen to be in the same room when phoning the message through :rofl: )

5 Likes

Aaaahhhh! I forgot about this one :rofl:
If it’s so important, just tell the person while your phone rings a little longer. But this seems impossible :laughing:

Thanks for the addition :smile:

4 Likes

Yes, nothing is EVER more important than the phone call you just got. It’s like no one ever told them that you can ignore a call from time to time - as if voice mail doesn’t exist or something. Get your priorities straight, people.

6 Likes

I’ve watched multiple shows/movies where the innkeeper is like “there’s only one room left” so the main couple book it and as they’re walking away, another couple enters and the innkeeper tells them the SAME THING :joy::joy:

If Korea is anything like India, we never EVER, EVER use voicemail. All our phones come with it, but it’s more of a decoration. So if someone calls, you better jump all hurdles and brave rain, hail and snow to get to the phone… or you can just call them back.

Another odd thing: From the crazy amount of dramas I’ve watched, I can tell this with almost complete certainty— if the main characters decide to kiss and the slow motion starts when they are about 10cm apart(or more) and keeps going on and on, the probability of the kiss happening is very, very low. I just get ready for someone to interrupt them. :joy: However, if slow motions starts when they’re closer, the kiss will probably take place.

8 Likes

Yep, even if they don’t leave a voice mail, their number is in your history at this point, so call them back after you get that important secret off your chest.

I’ve never thought of this, but now that you mentioned it, I have to agree.

3 Likes

In Korea, these popular actresses who are known to play the role of an archetypal mother figure are dubbed as 국민엄마 (Gukmin Eomma - people’s mother).

I’d say some of the original Gukmin Eomma are people like

김혜자 (Kim Hye-ja)
%E1%84%80%E1%85%B5%E1%86%B7%E1%84%92%E1%85%A8%E1%84%8C%E1%85%A1

고두심 (Go Doo-shim)
%E1%84%80%E1%85%A9%E1%84%83%E1%85%AE%E1%84%89%E1%85%B5%E1%86%B7

정혜선 (Jung Hye-sun) - Although she is more known to play the infamous mother-in-law character!
%E1%84%8C%E1%85%A5%E1%86%BC%E1%84%92%E1%85%A8%E1%84%89%E1%85%A5%E1%86%AB

김해숙 (Kim Hae-sook)
%E1%84%80%E1%85%B5%E1%86%B7%E1%84%92%E1%85%A2%E1%84%89%E1%85%AE%E1%86%A8

But I suppose as they get older, they are playing more of a grandmotherly role nowadays. So a “younger” generation new “Mother” of K-dramas, such as Kim Mi-kyung, as you mentioned, are filling the role. However, Kim Mi-kyung hasn’t “officially” earned the title of Gukmin Eomma in Korea yet. She will have to play a lot more Mother roles to gain that title. :wink:

8 Likes

That’s when the inn owners are trying to “help” the shy/coy couples into getting some “action!” lol

5 Likes

Stole my heart in ‘Radiant’ …one of the most touching dramas ever

2 Likes

Ditto! You said it better than I, but I was thinking along those lines. :smile:

2 Likes

:grinning :It was written cool!

Cars don’t have brakes in Korea and China. Everyone just drives and hopes not to hit anyone.

3 Likes

A breakthrough in the Korean drama. There are very hot kisses and a half-naked view of the bodies…E4pcekJVEAIsg6o

Sweetly stated. Thank you.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing that thought. I also notice how relatable other cultures are after seeing their dramas. that includes the Taiwanese, Chinese, and Japanese. I notice differences also but I often laugh more with Asian dramas than watching US shows that are supposed to be humorous.

I see a lot of appliances in dramas that I wish I could get here. I never see a refrigerator here that has a small door in the door to reach in and get water. That would be nice. It makes me wonder if those appliances are widely available in places like Korea or are they mostly only available for the rich there?

6 Likes

Oh, I love this thread!
Here is my little list:

• the FL always loses a shoe and needs a piggyback ride
  • the FL trips at least once and ends up being rescued by ML, so that they can gaze into each others eyes
  • the FL is incredibly thin but eats more food than a Polish truck driver, if she is from the lower classes. this is endearing.
  • the FL lead always teaches the ML that spicy chicken feet are delicious
  • the FL has incrediby bad taste and so the upper class ML treats her to a shopping experience where he chooses all her clothes
  • at one point, they will end up sitting on swings in a kids park
  • towards the middle episode, the ML will get a chance to see the FL childhood room, and so he realises what a hard worker and serious person she is. this is a turning point.
7 Likes

I can’t say for sure since I don’t know whether everyone in Korea have fancy appliances, but I do know that Samsung and Dyson sponsor a lot of kdramas, so naturally even the poorest characters will have the latest phones, vacuum cleaners and other appliances.

2 Likes

Yes, I have noticed a lot of product placement K dramas. Subway is another one and some instant coffees. I don’t mind some product placement if it helps to pay for those dramas. it is much better than having to sit through endless commercials. I have to admit, I have been tempted to buy one of those stick vacuum cleaners after seeing them on dramas!

5 Likes

I know why y’all are skinny!! you eat with chop sticks, slows ya down while you eat!

2 Likes

THE ODD thing K-dramas taught me about Korea that [NOT EVERYTHING THAT SHINES IS GOLD] 100% TRUE. The K-dramas basically come very close to despicting a fantasy world that only exist in our imagination because REALITY is hard to watch and face it; full force. Gosh it hurts to see it crumble before my eyes, but it’s ok bc I can handle it.

3 Likes

I have been dating a Korean guy lately which has been nice, but some things about him are not as I expected.

His father isn’t president of a major corporation facing a corruption enquiry while fighting off a hostile takeover bid.

He didn’t grow up surrounded by bodyguards in dark suits talking into their cuffs. On the other hand, neither did he grow up in an orphanage, his parents having died in a mysterious car crash which his secret brother (that he never knew he had) had survived, and who had ended up being fostered by the president of a major corp … (er, see above).

Nor does he have any special powers and seems to be completely incapable of time travelling back to the Joseon era and he struggles even to open a tin can in the kitchen, never mind any portal to a parallel universe.

What’s more, he doesn’t have an overbearing mother that hijacks him with Kimchi every 48 hours!!!

I’m beginning to wonder if this guy’s Korean at all … or, have I maybe watching too much K-Drama?!!

12 Likes