The odd things K-Dramas taught me about Korea!

I don’t know about the other things, but you sure got lucky with the mother-in-law, as I’ve been reading real stories of Italian girls who married a Korean and went to live in Korea: and the situation with Korean mother-in-laws is often very off-putting. To be fair, it’s exactly as it was in Italy about 60-70 years ago (my grandma was horrible to my mother)

3 Likes

I just have to say that if you ever decide to write a comedy special, I would most definitely watch it. I laughed out loud at this.

Let me add something: “If someone doesn’t end up at the hospital at any point for any reason, then the story isn’t complete.”

The thing about the crying and the few streets especially entertained me and I’ll tell you why. I watch K-Dramas with my family and I can quote two things in relation to this that were said as we all watched various K-Dramas together:

“Oh, I know this street!”
and
“Oh, are they crying again?”

All jokes aside, though, I absolutely love K-Drama and all the K-Dramas I’ve seen have been amazing, but this is so on point and it’s hilarious. Please write a stand up comedy special. :joy:

5 Likes

I learned one more thing from K dramas and that is, and if you watch closely; you will see so much lying in them, and that is not a good thing to learn from them at all…

A few of my fave quotes why I dislike LIES so much

2 Likes

No no no. You made an association. My paternal grandmother was Italian (and my mother Greek).

3 Likes

‘Something in the Rain’ has the world’s worst mother-in-law who is hysterically opposed to her 35 yr old daughter marrying her 25 yr old boyfriend.

It got so bad I stopped watching it at one point. I was shocked that social mores counted for so much more than the happiness of her mature daughter.

Hell, when I think about it, this was a majorly rad show which had the couple sleeping together!! Unmarried and in a K-Drama!!!

3 Likes

Please don’t remind me of this, it was something that I (and most of the others watching and commenting) believe was one of the major disappointments in my k-drama life. A drama all of us adored up to episode 12-13 and hated afterwards, including the ending. I don’t know what came into the writers to completely ruin the show, making the characters do things that completely clashed with their previous established personality, as if they became possessed by aliens or zombies, of as if they had a death wish, to destroy themselves, their lives and other people’s lives.
Ugh!
After that, they made Spring Night with the same couple, to redeem themselves, but the bitter taste persisted.
At least it made a star of Jung Hae-in.

3 Likes

This is the thing. We become very invested in these shows, and we give many hours attention to them.

I suspect some storylines don’t reach the commissioned span, so they go for far-fetched twists of the tale to wring some extra life out of the plot.

Probably, in response to that scenario, we’re seeing more 12 and 10 part dramas.

Two shows that I felt badly led up the garden path about were Chocolate and Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol.

Especially the latter. Just at the very point of consummation they took the show right off the rails. Grrr.

Apologies for bringing up Something in the Rain, though. Mea culpa.

4 Likes

I just finished that one and I went in cold.
Like what were the writers even thinking? :sob:

Another thing to add to the list:
It’s perfectly fine to pretend that you are dead for a (long) period of time. All will be forgiven and life will carry on as if you haven’t deceived your friends or the love of your life. Just a normal part of life I guess :joy: :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

That was mad!!!

3 Likes

he is definitely not korean

1 Like

I was reminded of this when, last year, after 2,5 months of being immobilized in the ICU, I couldn’t walk nor lift my arm, not even sit straight without fainting.
The physiotherapist told me that even after one week of immobility in bed, you lose about 30% of muscle mass.

Here is an excerpt from article in the National Library of Medicine

Prolonged immobility is harmful with rapid reductions in muscle mass, bone mineral density and impairment in other body systems evident within the first week of bed rest. (…) The most commonly used model, bed rest has been shown to cause muscle wasting within 10 days in healthy older adults. (…) Immobility also increases the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines and reactive oxygen species with subsequent muscle proteolysis promoting overall muscle loss. As a result of loss of muscle mass, up to 40 % of muscle strength can be lost within the first week of immobilization. (…) While the majority of immobility related pathophysiology normalizes upon mobilization and reduction in sedation, the effects on skeletal muscle do not. Instead muscle wasting results in muscle weakness, which in critical illness is termed Intensive Care Unit-Acquired weakness (ICU-AW).

Yet these people in dramas, after many months or sometimes even years of being in a coma, get up and start running around with no care in the world.
One could quote “Yong-pal”, “Bring it On, Ghost”, " 30 But 17" and “Ghost Doctor” (maybe also “Rooftop Prince”), but of course they are not the only ones!

5 Likes

K-drama dating playbook.
Works at a convenience store :heavy_check_mark:
Goes to a local BBQ & Soju place :heavy_check_mark:
Woo her at a fancy restaurant :heavy_check_mark:
Hire an entire amusement park for the night just for her :heavy_multiplication_x: = Pain and loneliness.

3 Likes

And they easily faint…

1 Like

You forgot “is secretly an ultra-rich second generation chaebol who owns half the buildings in Gangnam but wants to live among the commoners; probably has a grandmother or father trying to bring him back into high society” :joy::joy:

4 Likes

The annoying scene: FL gets sick, so ML takes care of her and brings to the Hospital/// until a few episodes later is the turn for the ML to get very sick and end up in hospital which FL takes turn to care for the ML. So annoying to see lately those scenes playing so often in dramas/movies. Feels too fake.

거짓말 :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
How Koreans twist the truth to their advantage.
한국인들이 진실을 자신에게 유리하게 왜곡하는 방법.
:joy::smile::face_with_hand_over_mouth: (⁠✿⁠^⁠‿⁠^⁠):point_down:t5:

Go full screen to follow subs. :wink:

1 Like

Another thing I’ve recently seen a lot:

Instead of talking about a situation that they don’t fully understand with their trusted ally, ‘Koreans’ will rush over to where the villain is (if they know their residence / hideout) and demand that they tell them what is going on. Their ally has proven time and time again that they are capable of figuring things out (albeit, it might take some time) or standing up for the person / themselves.

But no, that would be considered a shortcut… or maybe they are allergic to doing the sensible thing? Maybe they think the villain won’t use the information they’ve just given them to plot against them? :laughing:

3 Likes

Every time…
WhyYouDoDat
Why are they so naïve to think that there’s a Chinese Criminal Code of Conduct/ Korean Kriminal Kode of Konduct?
:ok_hand: Extorsion, Murder (serial acceptable), Violence, Kidnapping, Corruption, Blackmail, White truck hit and runs.
:no_good_man: Telling porkies.

And now the ally has to go rescue their sorry @ss because the villain has been tipped off and can’t let them go.

5 Likes

IKR?

In the drama I’m watching, the villains have done almost everything in your list (not murder, but attempted murder) and they still go to the villains every single time :weary: :weary:.
At least they involved the police now, but WHY? WHY? :sob:
(Sometimes the police will believe the villain’s account of events)

Another thing… why in the world do they always pick up when the villains call (or let the phone ring to no end)? :unamused:
Apparently it’s impossible to block people on your phone? :no_good_woman: :no_good_woman:

Telling your ally a piece of information that is crucial is also not a thing they do :crazy_face::crazy_face:.

3 Likes

Ah, this is true of movies and series from all over the world.
The leading lady receives a message saying to go, at night, on the docks, to meet a mysterious man (obviously the villain) and she goes alone, without telling anyone, unarmed etc. We all know what happens next. She gets kidnapped so they can use her as blackmail to stop the hero from doing anything.

Also, there is a misunderstanding, one party starts yelling, accusing the other party who, instead of explaining, just says Party A’s name and maybe mutters “Let me explain” - instead of explaining directly, instaid of saying the one sentence that would solve the misunderstanding. Then Party A storms away, and the idiot stands there alone, inconsolable. When it would have been enough to say or shout a few words.

6 Likes