The strangest / most original dramas you've ever watched? 😯

i just remembered that Japanese movie that i watched recently, " Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead", it was really weird but i think in a good way. i enjoyed it & found it different from the zombie movies i’m used to.

3 Likes

Korean:
Beauty Inside
FL changes appearance

ML changes appearance

Pretty original concept, but the realistic technicalities are so weird to think about LOL

Chinese:
My Husky Boyfriend - this one was SO weird but I ended up loving it - probably the one I love most of all the dramas listed here. ML’s DNA gets altered so he has husky/dog tendencies XD

Be My Cat
I know there are dramas about people turning into animals but this guy turned into an animal which was ALSO an alien so it brought on a whole new level of weird XD

Love Me in Three Days - took Beauty Inside to Level 2: ML turns into whoever he has physical contact with

3 Likes

I loved Strong Woman Bong Soon…loved their chemistry…and the FL is such a good actress…have watched her other series as well and she is really really good!
NOT interested in watching Strong Girl Namsoon - did not catch my attention at all!

3 Likes

Chinese Drama: Till the End of the Moon

The fact that it doesn’t let you move on is the ‘strangest’ part about this drama! The one drama that I watched recently and have already rewatched two times is ‘Till The End of the Moon’. It was brilliant and had so many complexities when it comes to cdramas. The character portrayal of the ML was fantastic and LUO YUNXI was phenomenal in his acting - absolutely nailed it! He earned a life time fan in me. And the CGI is to die for…really enjoyed!

Korean Drama: Mouse

The weirdest one I saw was ‘Mouse’ - ML is Lee Seung Gi. I saw it for him and he was brilliant in it. The story line was quite twisted and interesting…very very gripping! Even though it was quite twisted, it is worth a watch.

2 Likes

It took me a while before I decided to take a peek and check out that one too, and believe you me; the beginning is a bit weird, but it starts developing into a very decent story that at some points might even make you cry as much as it will make you laugh. I am looking forward to Season 2 since it was clearly hinted in the ending. Every actor/actress played the role so well that they ‘‘fit’’ perfect into them. My favorite will always be [Strong Woman Bong Soon] but SGNS is not bad at all; worth watching.

2 Likes

defininetly “The Sweet Blood”, which has Kim Jiwoong (my purple love) main acting !!!

1 Like

“My Holo Love,” “Devil Judge,” “W,” “The Smile Has Left You Eyes,” and “The King: Eternal Monarch,” are all super original dramas in recent times, to me.

But there are a ton of OGs like “■■■■ Me, Heal Me,” “I Remember You,” and “City Hunter” too.

For dramas that were too ridiculous for me, I couldn’t find the will to finish more than a couple of episodes of “Eternal Yesterday,” but I know it’s got a 9.3 rating. A lot of people loved it. I just didn’t see where it could go, with the dude being a corpse and all, lol. It was just a bit out there for me. :sweat_smile:

And I know the majority of people will disagree, but I couldn’t finish Thai BLs “Tharn Type” and “KinnPorsche” (I’m sorry!!). I personally – personally ok! – couldn’t take the plot and setting of KP seriously, and there were so many issues with TharnType that put me off, largely Type. Midway, one of the MLs punched the other, and it (relationship violence??) was just swept under the rug and not discussed. I’m pretty sure I clicked out and never returned right at that moment.

To all the die-hard fans, I apologize, lol. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Watched when it was released in 2015 and it’s on Viki at the moment.

1 Like

In the category of strange (which makes it original, for better or worse) is:

The School Nurse Files (2020) - MyDramaList

Honestly, upon looking through my MDL, there isn’t a lot of originality among the dramas I’ve watched, which is fine. I find comfort in most of the cliched tropiness. One on my list that did have some originality was:

The Sound of Magic (2022) - MyDramaList

2 Likes

I thought the Arthdal Chronicles, both Season 1 and Season 2 are wierd. I think it was supposed to be like the Korean Game of Thrones. But for those of you who didn’t watch it – here’s one hint of the wierdness – in Season 1, Song Joong Ki bleeds purple blood and can communicate with horses. I forced myself to watch all of Season 1 but quit Season 2 after just one episode of more wierdness.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say this drama is strange, but it is definitely original in it’s execution. The dialogue is written almost like a pretentious literary fiction novel. Slightly bizarre, but also very real. It’s been a very pleasant surprise to have found such a gem while working as a contributor. It’s one of those dramas that I’ll never forget :heartpulse:

3 Likes

I would definitely agree with this. I also consider it a gem… one that I almost missed out on.

While it had its obvious melo moments, I appreciated its wit and dialogue. It had a kind of humor that I had not seen up to the point I watched it and maybe haven’t seen since.

1 Like

Exactly, I have watched many dramas through the years, but none have had the humor and delivery like this one. I fear I won’t ever see anything like this in the future, but that makes me cherish this one even more. It is also a drama where the OST matches the energy of the drama itself, it is weirdly enticing, yet beautiful.

1 Like

Hello everyone!
For me it is very difficult to choose only one drama because I consider that there are many original dramas but one that comes to mind and is not so well known is Page Turner.

I found Page Turner to be not only very interesting but I think it left me with a very valuable life lesson. I don’t want to say too much so as not to spoil it in case you haven’t seen it, but when you get to the end you may discover that the title is much more than a common title but also reflects the journey of the protagonist and the other actors.

Have you watched it? What did you think about it?

1 Like

I’ve started watching dramas only recently (must be one year now), but the strangest one to me for now was: Meteor Garden / Boys Over Flowers / Hana yori Dango - the Chinese version.

I mean, they’re all sweet and nice and everything, but… a group of youngsters makes a whole university scared of them because they’re so good at… card games. CARDS! At first I kept on watching because, no, it can’t be just that, there has to be something else, somewhere, it has to be… but no, just CARDS! And there are heated stories about whether or not the characters will win CARD GAMES, as it those games were life matters! Card games, life matters…! Talk about “weird”…

Also, this Chinese version often goes to a “practical manual for dating”, really leading to fully serious and 1st degree conversations… weird, to use a drama for that, so seriously?

I forgot the details, but I remember that all the characters had strange personalities and backgrounds too, especially if you knew the original work: they were all too “all sweet and potential role-models”, while the original characters are all nice in their own way, sure, but definitely not role-models.

Etc.

In the end, I tried to skip through the episodes but I had to give up rather quickly, it felt too weird, too often.

Special kudos though to Dylan Wang for the few seconds where he speaks a bit of French: I don’t know if he ever learnt the language, but his accent was very good, grammar and vocabulary AND intonation were great too. Kudos to everyone involved in these few seconds, and to him for delivering the words so well!

Another one:

Despite the fine cast, I’m hesitant to watch…

4 Likes

Same here. I couldn’t actually believe this was real when I saw the trailer. :laughing:

2 Likes

Reading the title of this thread, I thought about Sweat and Soap too. This series was very weird, but I liked the unexpected healthy conversations between the two leads.

Yesterday, I finished watching the series Ready, Set, Love. The female lead has to join a match making show, to find a wedding match in an Utopian world, where men are almost extinct, and to participate she has to pass several games and obstacle courses. Meanwhile, we get to learn a bit about some dark plots in this Utopian world. The female also has an ill younger sister. This series has a good combination of humor, adventure, serious moments and romance. :heart:

4 Likes

I don’t know why, but I was fascinated by imo, the most strangest and most original (a unique drama that can’t be matched) titled: W
I can see it again and again, and feel the same excitement of watching it every time (so far 4 times). lol

1 Like

For mee it’s Hotel del Luna.
I didnt want to watch it at first and then I was into the story and want to find out how it’s end. I will probably watch W though as the post before make me curious.

2 Likes