[Viki Community] New Moderator Roles Requirements

I don’t know what you expect me to reply to this except for… we’re talking about bugs, but certainly not about insects.
If you don’t fix the fact that YOU CANNOT ADD ANYONE ANYMORE AS LANGUAGE MODERATOR you can take care of the new projects by yourself. Please go ahead.

Somehow, I know now why reading comprehension is considered important…

12 Likes

Dear Viki satff,

Thank you for your message, although it does not answer any of or questions nor does it solve any of the problems we are experiencing. Its not about getting used to it. The issue lies with the fact that there are 101+ problems that already exist, and this little upgrade made things even more chaotic. It’s not about getting used to it, this is not working for us. The channel managers can’t even add moderators.

We DO NOT need a survey. We require you guys to address and fix the issues. Furthermore, we have all submitted tickets asking for help, and telling you guys all the issues we are currently experiencing, yet no one has bothered to answer any of us. This is greatly affecting our work pace. Your response and solution to our tickets would be greatly appreciated.

With love,
The Translating Community

9 Likes

So, are you suggesting that we, volunteers just sit still and wait until the end of May for the survey, and not contribute anything until then, since you make it almost impossible for some of us to get on any projects? I am quite astonished to see you got such a hard-working community, full of people who do their best to PROVIDE & VOLUNTEER even when you make it as hard as possible for them. Sincerely asking you, why should we volunteer when you try everything in your limits to make it inconvenient for us to do so?

I am unsure whether you are trying to increase the quality of the subs or rather trying to get rid of the volunteer community altogether at this point. I’m doubting the time, my time, that is spent on Viki. In between comments cursing the volunteers for slow work, telling us to “work faster, you are getting paid for this” or insulting us for the low-quality pre-subs created by your ACTUALLY PAID subtitlers, you also keep focusing on the most irrelevant aspects rather than improving what needs attention. Instead of creating more trouble for the volunteers, please try to acknowledge our needs and feedback that you claim “you want to hear”.

Thank you,
-Alina

9 Likes

Basically project will be on hold for some language for not know how long because of the bug 🤦 just great news (sarcasm) so we don’t know how long to wait.

3 Likes

I personally never want to lose my joy of editing and watching Asian dramas. :smiley:

In order to solve the problem of incomplete channels and irresponsible hoarders of channels, we now can’t load any language moderators. Viki needs positive solutions instead of negative restrictions.

For English teams, they should be required to release a minimum of two up-to-one-hour episodes per week counting from the time it’s segmented on each channel, unless only one episode airs per week. Longer episodes and movies can be counted by hour length for the requirement. For example: a one-hour-plus episode needs to be released by maximum two weeks, preferably sooner. A three-hour movie needs to be released by maximum three weeks from the time it’s segmented.

We each know our own capabilities and hours we can commit to helping Viki, and if we can’t follow through, then someone else should. If English teams follow this requirement, everyone else comes after us and can also finish two episodes per week on each channel. If any moderators don’t produce the required amount, the CM has the right to replace them!

Regarding quality of subs, I have been viewing Asian dramas since 2002. All I ask for in subs is that they be good enough to understand what is happening in the show. We are not performing surgery here or launching rockets into space! A viewer has only 3-5 seconds max to read a subtitle! They don’t want a screen full of subs so they can’t even see the faces of actors. Yes, I do my best to ensure the subs are the best of my ability, but I also do my best to fit them to the timing allotted. And I beam from the messages of thanks I receive:

“I take my hat off to you and your subtitle team for your work on “Be Together”. As someone from the U.S. I have seen some bad interpretations but this one was outstanding. It thought this drama was well written but your subtitles were spot on and enjoyable. Thanks for all you do.”

I had four people fixing pre-subs so viewers could watch decent subs asap. I had four TEs and four GEs and my goal was to release four episodes per week.

Because of a shortage of editors, I trained at least ten people to be English editors in my years on Viki, and I am proud of all of them. I also don’t accept just anyone, but they must be good at spelling already. I applaud all senseis on Viki who impart their knowledge to others! They are training, not doing episodes. So if Viki just implements the two regular episodes per week requirement per channel, senseis of any languages are not affected.

I think this is the best solution rather than adversely limiting our hard-working, highly responsible, dedicated language moderators who work on Viki daily and always complete their channels! If any CMs do not require this of their teams, then the CM either needs a Co-CM or it’s grounds for removal. This would not overtax the computer system which doesn’t tally the number of Language Moderator roles properly or allow our CMs any control.

This would also help Viki to gauge what kinds of shows people want to work on and/or view so they don’t spend money on shows which attract no one! Everyone can tell by my username what kinds of shows I watch and where I am willing to volunteer.

4 Likes

Personally, I’d like you to also consider this:

4 Likes

Thanks to Dimghro, he notified that the problem of adding moderators has now been fixed. You can now add moderators who are eligible for the role.

16 Likes

Not every drama gets support with paid translators.

You can guess yourself lucky, I made different experiences.

2 Likes

For a while, I didn’t have shows without them anymore, I think. The Japanese show is usually translated at least after 3-4 days for that reason (and it’s from 2016, so just an old drama they added). Same for the Chinese show I work on, and for Korean shows it has been even more common lately. :woman_shrugging: I noticed this around 6 months ago for the first time.
I won’t deny that it had been different before, but I think it’s more or less the standard nowadays. Sometimes they even work together with us. E.g., we were informed about the songs appearing in an upcoming episode a few days before it aired.

I’d say it’s more likely to happen with “rare” source languages (Vietnamese, Thai, Cantonese) and Mandarin. However, lately they often work together on Chinese shows - and I’d encourage this as well if it’s possible in any way.

4 Likes

Hi everyone!
For those who have issues in the number of your moderator roles, how is it going? Has it been fixed?

For example
Witch’s court is 100% completed in English and it ONLY has 16 episodes but for Viki system it has 32 episodes… So this is now being considered incomplete because of those 16 inexistent episodes and it’s seriously affecting all moderators.
This is a BUG!
@vikicommunity can you please this issue? :disappointed:

https://www.viki.com/tv/35614c-witchs-court

Screenshot_2022-05-20-09-11-45

Screenshot_2022-05-20-09-24-28

5 Likes

Hi,
check in the notes or in the Team Discussion if there are special episodes (like bts).
This was my case with Best Mistaken 3…
Best,
Elisa

1 Like

Best Mistake 3 indeed has special episodes, but then the total number of episodes (written above) doesn’t match the last real, non-special episode. As can be seen here:

1 Like

Looks like you have phantom doubling of real episodes. Definitely a true bug. Did you report it?

2 Likes

I have something strange, too. The chinese drama HUNTING, translated 100% long time ago, is on my Moderating List and I can’t understand why. I wrote to Viki, but still no answer.about%20hunting

3 Likes

I didn’t experience completed shows being shown in Dashboard. But I have a hunch that completing a show again might be helpful? I don’t know, I can’t try and see if it works but someone else might?

What you have to do is delete some subs from an episode so the epispdes gets at 94%. This way, it will normally show up in Dashboard as incomplete. Then you can put the subs back in and see if the show is removed from Dashboard.

There are very high chances that it might not work. But someone can give it a try and see?

4 Likes

Same here

Picsart_22-05-20_12-34-30-790

1 Like

That’s actually a good idea. To jiggle the system a bit.

Could you try it, @tony83n_283 and @cerejacult?

2 Likes

It’s worsen now :rofl: Nothing changed on Dashboard after deleting. When I put the translations back the episode shows now 95%. Maybe it will change soon :joy:

1 Like

It went back to 100%, but nothing changed on Dashboard.

If it’s a series, the whole series has to go under 95% (so at least 94%), not just one episode