[Viki Community] New Moderator Roles Requirements

Personally, I’d like you to also consider this:

4 Likes

Thanks to Dimghro, he notified that the problem of adding moderators has now been fixed. You can now add moderators who are eligible for the role.

16 Likes

Not every drama gets support with paid translators.

You can guess yourself lucky, I made different experiences.

2 Likes

For a while, I didn’t have shows without them anymore, I think. The Japanese show is usually translated at least after 3-4 days for that reason (and it’s from 2016, so just an old drama they added). Same for the Chinese show I work on, and for Korean shows it has been even more common lately. :woman_shrugging: I noticed this around 6 months ago for the first time.
I won’t deny that it had been different before, but I think it’s more or less the standard nowadays. Sometimes they even work together with us. E.g., we were informed about the songs appearing in an upcoming episode a few days before it aired.

I’d say it’s more likely to happen with “rare” source languages (Vietnamese, Thai, Cantonese) and Mandarin. However, lately they often work together on Chinese shows - and I’d encourage this as well if it’s possible in any way.

4 Likes

Hi everyone!
For those who have issues in the number of your moderator roles, how is it going? Has it been fixed?

For example
Witch’s court is 100% completed in English and it ONLY has 16 episodes but for Viki system it has 32 episodes… So this is now being considered incomplete because of those 16 inexistent episodes and it’s seriously affecting all moderators.
This is a BUG!
@vikicommunity can you please this issue? :disappointed:

https://www.viki.com/tv/35614c-witchs-court

Screenshot_2022-05-20-09-11-45

Screenshot_2022-05-20-09-24-28

5 Likes

Hi,
check in the notes or in the Team Discussion if there are special episodes (like bts).
This was my case with Best Mistaken 3…
Best,
Elisa

1 Like

Best Mistake 3 indeed has special episodes, but then the total number of episodes (written above) doesn’t match the last real, non-special episode. As can be seen here:

1 Like

Looks like you have phantom doubling of real episodes. Definitely a true bug. Did you report it?

2 Likes

I have something strange, too. The chinese drama HUNTING, translated 100% long time ago, is on my Moderating List and I can’t understand why. I wrote to Viki, but still no answer.about%20hunting

3 Likes

I didn’t experience completed shows being shown in Dashboard. But I have a hunch that completing a show again might be helpful? I don’t know, I can’t try and see if it works but someone else might?

What you have to do is delete some subs from an episode so the epispdes gets at 94%. This way, it will normally show up in Dashboard as incomplete. Then you can put the subs back in and see if the show is removed from Dashboard.

There are very high chances that it might not work. But someone can give it a try and see?

4 Likes

Same here

Picsart_22-05-20_12-34-30-790

1 Like

That’s actually a good idea. To jiggle the system a bit.

Could you try it, @tony83n_283 and @cerejacult?

2 Likes

It’s worsen now :rofl: Nothing changed on Dashboard after deleting. When I put the translations back the episode shows now 95%. Maybe it will change soon :joy:

1 Like

It went back to 100%, but nothing changed on Dashboard.

If it’s a series, the whole series has to go under 95% (so at least 94%), not just one episode

I don’t want to take this risk :rofl:

1 Like

I completely understand! :grin:

Now that the issue of hoarding by some OL Moderators is slowly being addressed, perhaps we can direct our attention to improving the English team. Since the speed and quality of OL translation depend largely on the quality of English translation and the timely release of videos by the English team, I think it is worth a closer look.

I have noticed that Viki has been hiring more English translators and I, for one, am very grateful for the help they provide. Thanks to them, I would no longer have to experience the tremendous pressure from both the viewers and the OLs when I become one of the few contributing English subbers for a project even though there are sometimes more than dozen subbers listed on the cover page.

I realize that many English editors are unhappy with staff translators not following each team’s subbing and/or formatting guidelines. I think what might be helpful is the CEs coming up with a comprehensive subbing rules for all subbers, including the staff translators, to follow. I understand that our CEs each have their own set of subbing guidelines, but isn’t it much more reasonable to ask the handful of CEs to reach an agreement than to ask all the subbers to switch gears with each project?

Now, as to the quality of paid translators, might I suggest a probationary period for the potential candidates wherein they work on a project and the Viki staff ask the English team for a feedback before the hiring process is finalized.

To our esteemed CEs, I ask you to please take your time to get to know the English subbers. I know that you are all inundated with projects, but I assure you that a bit of handholding and words of encouragement will go a long way. On the other hand, if you notice an abuse, please nip it in the bud by issuing a general warning to the English team without singling out anyone, but letting the abuser know that s/he is being watched. I feel that this is much more effective and less humiliating way to stop the abuse.

Also, perhaps the CEs (and GEs) can start compiling a list of TEs to share with future CMs and CEs as we all know that good TEs are very hard to find. What would be even better is if notes regarding each of their strengths (i.e. medical, legal, historical) and their peculiarities are added to the list.

As to the issue of inactive or unresponsive CMs or CEs, I think the CM and CE should each have the authority to release videos to OLs when one or the other is unable or inactive for a long period of time, and when both the CM and CE are inactive or unresponsive, the OL Moderators should be able to collectively ask Viki for their removal.

In short, what I wish for, from both Viki staff and volunteers, is increased communication and cooperation. To this end, I would like to suggest that Viki create a position for a liaison officer who can handle all volunteer-related matters as a priority. If Viki is the heart of Asian entertainment, I dare say Viki volunteers are the heartbeat. As such, if the community is to thrive, our volunteers should be well cared for.

12 Likes

Most Ko-En subbers never take the trouble to read Team Notes - paid subbers tend to be more responsive, but not always.
They come or not come as they please, as if it were an optional. In most dramas, when I check, at the end, I see that some of them have only done 10-20 subs, or even zero. Then why accept to be part of the team? Just say no!
They forget spaces after hyphens in dialogues, they forget italics in flashbacks, they forget punctuation at the end of complete sentences - things that are common to ALL dramas and on which there is the general consensus that you wish for. Someone is called a director in one part and a president in another part, again because they never bothered to read the team notes where they could find everyone’s job designation. They never look at the corrections for improvement, they even get the main leads’ names wrong. Not long ago someone re-translate an OST which is already translated in Team Notes (although it meant more work for her - but checking Team Notes seems to be too much of a bother).
I’m definitely not saying everyone is like this. But the majority is.

Nowadays I don’t even dare write any feedback to them, because I’ve had the experience of a couple who left banging the door, with ruffled feathers, saying “I already give up my precious free time for this, and I won’t stand being criticized”. And we cannot afford losing team members.
I have learned the hard way that polite feedback, reminders, gentle nudges are useless. So I very rarely say anything. Except to those that I know will take it well, because yes, there are those who are fine and with whom there is good communication. I edit everything that’s wrong (and that would have been so easy for them to do correctly), fuming inside, but unable to react. They are queens and we are their slaves, really, because we need them: it’s a fact that without them there would be nothing to edit. And there are very few of them - not just few good ones, but few period. And if they perceive you as too demanding, they will never come again if you call them for your next project.

What to do? This is the situation, and we must adapt to it.

5 Likes

Yes over the years a lot of good Ko-Eng subbers have left Viki for various reasons. Sometimes they where fed up with Viki and all the viewer complains they where like screw it all I’m gone. And for others life just happened and they are to busy or whatever reasons.

What could we do about it? I tell Viki for years they should do something about the sub whiners and be more pro active in the comment/ review sections backing up volunteers where needed because it’s causing people to leave and now we are at this point.

7 Likes