[Viki Community] New Moderator Roles Requirements

That’s awesome. I haven’t been “working” in English teams of K-channels for quite a long time, but I know that in C-channels (for dramas), there are usually only 4 parts per episode.

I believe any CM would be able to make the call, in collaboration with their CS, to create more parts per episode. Or the CM could approach VIki to do so, I think.

Indeed. I love “constructive” in every sense of the word. :+1::sunglasses:

3 Likes

The CM can choose the amount of parts or even recut the parts Viki may have made before release if she feels it will benefit her team.

3 Likes

The French teams generally work like you do, with a Google sheet. We don’t have a fixed part to sub, and teams vary in size depending on the moderator’s approach.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting take on team work. I have been experimenting with how I should work with parts distrubution.

Other Hindi teams go with assigning a fixed part to each subber on each episode. I have seen it has more disadvantages than advantages. If a subber goes absent, their part stays like that for months. Some subbers are not good enough to translate everything, and it becomes even scarier when their fixed part has the most complicated subtitles.

I have tried the English team approach, continue from where previous subber left; and I am currently playing with the Spanish team approach, be active and claim your part before it’s gone.

English and Spanish approach seem much more fruitful since deadlines aren’t missed by careless subbers (a major drawback that was in the fixed part approach), another is that I can easily see who are actually enthusiastic about working together and enjoy their work (makes it easier for me to decide whom I’d like to work again in future with).

But yeah, this is something to be discussed about in another thread.

3 Likes

The Portuguese Teams generally use Google Sheets as well, similar to your way, but the subber needs to start right away.

1 Like

So you send them a message and then they start immediately? But what if they aren’t online at that specific moment? :thinking:

1 Like

I suppose that once they apply for the part, they must be on standby? And so does the moderator?

2 Likes

Did we get any response back on counting special episodes towards our work?

I will explain better. Once a episode is released, the moderator send a message to the subbers with the google sheets, if you are available, you put your name in the part, and then you need to start to translate that part. In my case, as we have big teams, I do what we call “special realeases” in which just subbers who don’t translate yet can get a part, in this way I make sure everyone get lthe opportunity to translate at least one part.

6 Likes

Officially from Viki no. But everyone is manically translating them to finish (yet again) their projects.

Same here. One is not even in my region anymore…SMH

You’re right. The CM can decide to recut the parts already cut by Viki. I intended to try it once before but the CS wasn’t agreeable and so to maintain harmony, I stuck to the status quo. I also understand the comfort that status quo provides and the fear of new challenges.

I will try it out again in my next channel, if I do apply and get assigned. I guess I’ll first have to ensure my CS will agree to it. I think most will. After all, it actually makes it easier all the way around:

• For seggers, they can finish segging faster, and can go on to more parts if they want to (or their time allows them to), while allowing more seggers access to segging simultaneously.
  • For translators, especially newbies, it may seem less daunting and less time-consuming to start translating, and if the translator has more time available after finishing one part, that translator can move on to the next part or fill in the blank segs of parts already done.

The overall benefit for all would be enabling and having more volunteers contributing simultaneously, which would mean a quicker turnaround time for every episode, from each raw video upload to 100% translation. Of course, that’s also assuming the Viki subtool/system is built to handle it, and I doubt otherwise. I believe it’s built for the mass.

I will surely test it out (when I decide to apply for a new drama channel and am assigned one), unless some other CM with any new channel assigned would like to test it out already. Please do, if you will, and give us all an update, if you will.

3 Likes

I have found that this is a great approach to dramas. Not only does the episode get filled fast, but also the deadlines are met since the mod usually gives a certain amount of time to finish said time( the subber may ask for extra time in case they need it). I know with assigned parts sometimes subbers wait until last minute to start their parts. Again this might work since Spanish teams are typically large in numbers I am not sure how this will go with smaller communities. I think its all about experimenting different strategies and/or combining strategies and seeing which one is best for the project at hand and for that language community.

3 Likes

https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/5775906372883-Viki-Contributor-Role-Guide

Something new that they added recently.

4 Likes

Thank you for posting this :pray: It’s an interesting read. I notice that “General Editor” is now clearly a role for all languages and not just English. This makes sense.

One thing that is missing, though, is a note about the length of subtitles and timing them to fit within the length of segments. Hopefully @giant_sean, @amyk and the @vikicommunity team give some thought to this and create some guidelines and suggestions for subbers.

Some subs on Viki’s shows are immensely long and viewers probably end up with severe cases of whiplash and rattling brains as they try to process the information in a matter of a second or two. During my time on this discussion forum, I’ve read a number of viewers’ criticisms about overly long subs.

I think that subtitle timing is something that all the final-stage editors need to consider. For me, nothing wrecks my viewing enjoyment more than having to regularly stop video playback so as to read a subtitle. I don’t mind stopping and rewinding three or four times in a drama episode. After that, though, my frustration levels begin to rise.

5 Likes

SPECIAL EPISODES IN KDRAMAS

An irrelevant “special” episode is counted to the list of regular episodes making the whole project incomplete if that special episode is not subbed.

Is there a way of adding those special episodes in another section without interfering the official episodes?

For instance, they can be added in the clips section or create a section called ‘Specials’ anywhere else… :pensive:

This is a serious issue because the whole project is considered incomplete only because of that special episode :cry:

19 Likes

Screenshot_20220704-145012_Samsung%20Internet

The movie came in to me today, because it lost it’s license and so I have one more project on my dashboard?
It’s not my fault, that the movie lost it’s license :rage::triumph::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Please change this. Including something like this is not fair.

@amm11, @amyk, @giant_sean, @vikicommunity

13 Likes

The same problem here! I found two older movies on my dashboard, which lost the license, Tiny Times 1.0 and 2.0. Both fully translated and edited. I’m blocked for further projects now.

10 Likes

I have the same situation with Tiny Times :frowning:

4 Likes

Was there any survey?

3 Likes