[Viki Community] Project Contribution page updates

Just a glitch then, but a fun one :grin:

3 Likes

Yes😂 I was like… why am I a rookie? I was confused

3 Likes

We would have been awesome rookies, though. Already knew everything we needed :smirk: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hahaha, right. Such cool ones :crazy_face::grin::smirk:

1 Like

That is what I see on your account
29,170 subtitles
If it is about the comma, as far as I know it is the American way of writing higher numbers, in Europe most of us will use 29.170 a period. If it isn’t about this, then I don’t know what you mean.

I was looking at your account and your contribution, I don’t see the title Rookie at all.

It’s like this
Screenshot_20210630-210722_Samsung%20Internet

2 Likes

That looks like a formatting error, or at least a glitch.

1 Like

I just saw that the first pages of my project page all look like this:

It’s not just one page but 4 pages full with deleted projects I once worked on including some CM projects such as Oh My Geum Bi. Would have been nice if Viki informed me about it before deleting it.

6 Likes

Most of them haven’t been available for a while already, but you wouldn’t find out until after you’d click on them.

It’s just that the way the shows are sorted in the project contribution has changed and also it’s not possible to click on them anymore, instead it’s shown that the show is not available anymore.

For more information:

Actually, since I’m making a list of shows subtitled in Dutch, this change makes it easier for me (as I used to click on so many links, just to found out they were not available). :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I don’t think it’s been deleted, @jeslynl said these channels’ licenses have expired and so are not available (that’s why you won’t be able to find certain dramas which were there before). If the license is ever renewed, the subs and everything should still be there…
Previously, they used to show the “This show is not available in your region” message for dramas with expired licenses.

3 Likes

We once were informed that most licenses are about 2-4 years, actually a lot of channels weren’t accessible for the longest time and now are visibly “gone”.

5 Likes

Agree. I wonder what’s the point, too. We can always keep our own tab on projects we’ve worked on, either privately in a google doc, or on display in our profile page. As it is now, I see “a mess” and frankly, I don’t like it. Besides, who cares what was worked on? We care only about the quality of the final output that viewers and we ourselves get to watch, nothing else. At least for me, that is the case.

Me too. I wonder why… The only reason I could think of is a change in CMship. But then again, even with a change of CMship, why is there any need to redo the whole project?

Yup. This is puzzling. I wish I could watch LG, too. She’s an excellent performer!

You can still see each volunteer’s status from the top left corner, and what their recent project contribution is, including their badges, etc. You just can’t see their “QC status progress” such as that “locked” section in your screenscap. Yes, that section is “locked” for all of us. https://i.postimg.cc/XYMmvjML/qcstatus.png

2 Likes

Yes, it would have been nice. They used to inform us, but… not anymore. Probably too much on their hands with all the revamps and upgrades going on.

3 Likes

Just as @ninjas_with_onions has commented, you just have to click on the “selector” to choose whichever episode you want to jump to (but only within that range of episodes, usually up to about 10 eps) which you can see on the right hand side of the screen.

This issue has been around (on and off) for a long time. I’ve been told that it’s a Disqus issue even though Viki has its own moderators. Exactly how that works, I’ve no clue.

The undesirable aspect about these tech apps, and one that’s most frustrating, is when no one owns up to the issue and everyone just points their fingers the other way, to the other partners. In the end, the users end up having to just “deal with it” somehow.

2 Likes

Maybe so that ​a recruiter can check to see whether a volunteer’s contributions are legitimate and of good quality before adding them to the team? Their contribution count alone ​can’t determine how good the volunteer is…

2 Likes

Pertaining to the “quote” (of mine) you’ve quoted, I was/we were referring to Project Contributions column (please refer to @angelight313_168’s screenshot above), where the old/archived channels are being reuploaded. You can’t determine a volunteer’s quality of work (only quantity of projects) from that column. To determine quality of work (and only to a small extent), you need to look at the Recent Contributions column.

I agree that contribution count alone cannot determine such quality of work, too. I’ve seen too many “abusers” with gibberish “input”, let alone straight off machine translation, and sadly, the algorithms could not detect and preempt them. I wish it could. I wish Viki would look into it and create algorithms that could prevent abusers from gaining count in such unethical ways, let alone the problems such “input” could bring to the respective team.

4 Likes