[Viki Community Team] French Machine Translations

Here it is on Age of Legends also subbed by vikibot. 4 days ago.
Translation: “The French translation was done by a bot? Sometimes incomprehensible, what is the staff doing?”
On Come and Hug Me: image
Translation: “Unfortunately the French translation of this drama is really bad. There is some words which are still in English, some sentences in which there are words missing, some sentences are feminine written whereas it should be masculine. It’s a really good drama and moving but this quality of translation makes it insipid.”

3 Likes

Anyone got a PM of Viki staff for a chat about Inbox problems?
I am not using my inbox that much so not really something I am keen to chat about …

I got it but will not be enough present to participate. I don’t have time this weekend for this.
Even if I would like to have a better inbox, because I’m often checking and sending messages. And I’m keeping all of my messages.

And the commenter probably thinks it was a human that was sloppy translating.

The most part of the time, people doesn’t even take the time to read if it’s translations done by a bot or not.

1 Like

No I did confuse it with this one:

I am not that active, so my inbox kind of is full of “cyber spider webs” LOL I guess there will be others being edgy talking about the inbox matters. Why pick me?

Haha who knows how they choose who they contact.

I am off to pick a new drama and get some sleep - oh, almost forgot the washing machine - okay with a bit of delay.
Good night^^

1 Like

Good night, I’m going to sleep soon too. :slight_smile:

Thanks @irmar for the update. Could that nice gentlemen have been Sean?

Is there a problem with About Time?
I am confused, there were no machine translations on this one. What’s the matter so I could take a look?

Yes it was Sean:

@angelight313_168
Come and Hug Me is a channel that is obviously bot-translated in 3 language as it is stated on the main page.
I don’t know about other channel information …

1 Like

@lutra

I’m going to check it out see what points can be argue about the ‘‘bot’’ subtitles (if there’s any bc if it was edited it can’t be bad) lol. Thanks for the info. Enjoy your weekend.

1 Like

I can’t look at anything in that drama it’s restricted at my place And since no team is visible on the main page, I am tempted to believe that the English subs were provided by the content owner, but I do not know for sure, it’s just an assumption.
As I mentioned before I believe the bot would need an AI sitting next to it detecting the person’s age, gender, position … Reflexive pronouns/verbs and such, I think they might be a problem for the bot, who seems to be “more comfortable” in “straight” sentences.

Bot might be the future but it’s not really there yet, it misses out since human uses all senses to translate, the bot gets words in its system and brings out words from its system other influences who make or break a subtitle in a movie/tv series are yet not in the mix, therefor accuracy might be only possible for shorter sentences.

I remember I once had a newbie not really that good at English and that is the base for our subtitles - I told her to start with only short sentences simple syntax and vocabulary she knew. As the bot may learn through edit, we are hesitant to do it, since it is so much to correct that you probably will delete the bigger sentences anyway, because it messes with your mind, when you start to correct a sentence that has 3-4 several types of mistake it will be exhausting for an editor.
As we don’t know exactly how the bot works, and we might not get that information it might be classified since it is a “product” in the works. We will need to hear the position of Viki.
Another sentence a bot might have trouble, irony ahead …
“Mom’s daughter sends her greetings!”

3 Likes

As long as it clearly says so, the viewers know they are not to blame us.

3 Likes

I would really like to happily agree with you on that, but will they all notice that? I remember clearly the banner - This drama has only English subtitles - yet, people still complained about other subtitles.
I tried to look for channels with that information - I knew Marry Me Now was one of them - I couldn’t find any with that banner anymore. Is this no longer put into practice? Or are the other languages allowed in those channels or was it all tested with the bot?
But I saw the questions on Portuguese subs? No bot affected language yet, but since it’s about channels I can not “touch” from the other side of the ocean …
I don’t know what happened.

3 Likes

There will always be people too lazy to read what’s in front of their eyes. But at least there will be something to point them to. And when they finally see it, they won’t be able to say “the info wasn’t there”, they will be clearly be on the part of the wrong.

2 Likes

Ah, d*** it. The log out bug got me once again. So annoying and out of context, sorry. :tired_face:

1 Like

It kicked me out three times while patiently deleting Timed Comments from “Melting Me Softly”. That’s why now I save and close after doing each chunk.

2 Likes