Sorry if I didn’t answer sooner, I saw the big paragraph and I wanted to take my time to read it and comment it
Thanks for sharing your experience
Sorry if I don’t follow the questions line because I’m just writting chronologically.
1) How did you end up on Viki? How did you discover Viki? Why did you start volunteering?
So it was thanks to your friends that you’re here I’ve never watched Secret Garden. Was it really good in your opinion?
As for me, I discovered Viki when looking for a drama title that I wanted to watch. I forgot when, it was many years ago and there wasn’t Viki pass I think, I didn’t create an account until this year though. Why? Because I stopped watching dramas for many years like almost 7 or 8 years except occasionnally, and then one day, I was just looking for something to watch and I discovered Running Man, the Korean reality show. When was it? I forgot, I really have bad memory. I think it was 5 or 6 years ago, I remember there were some episodes but not too many like one hundred.
After laughing a lot at this kind of new Korean approach for me, I tried to look for another Korean reality show and I discovered The Return of Superman = the love of my life. I got hooked with the concept of this show and I just love children. I’m just watching every episode since I discovered it. For me, it’s still the best show that I’ve ever watched. But this show is only available in English and one day, I just wanted to read it in French and also, make it better known in France, and just sharing this awesome show for non English readers, so I was looking for a subbing team of this show and I fall back again on Viki (it’s a small world). I saw that to participate in translating because of restricted access, I had to become QC, so I just created an account last year in 2016 and joined a few teams that was looking for subtitlers and began subtitling.
But the big problem is that I began to love subtitling with people that I’ve met, and of course, I could translate Return of Superman during these past months but it’s not the only show that I translate (for better or for worse, I’m still asking myself this question because I don’t translate as much as I want on this wonderful show).
So this is the reason why I began volunteering on Viki
2) What was your first experience on Viki as a volunteer?
I’ve never watched A tree with deep roots neither, but after reading the synopsis, I’m interested How was the drama? I like this kind of mystery story, a murder case that we have to solve.
LOL you just subbed the drama until it was completed, way to go That’s awesome!
I know exactly what you mean by challenging, this is one of the reason why I like subtitling.
I take it as a challenge for myself because the subtitler has to rack his brain to find the right words to convey what the characters wanted to express. We are not the scenarists but it’s like we create the story with our own words. It’s like we’re telling a story to someone (and I love to read, so it’s just my thing).
And when we finish telling the fairytale to someone, we are just happy Yes, exactly what you said.
Good luck with the dramas that you have to finish in Dutch!
3) What was your evolution on Viki after this first try if you had to make a recap? And now?
Ah I see. But it’s not bothering you to watch twice the same thing in a row even if it’s a story that you like?
Like for me, I would need some time to forget a little about the story details and only after that, I would want to translate.
But it’s true that it’s easier to translate something that you just watched.
4) What was the most memorable project that you realized on Viki (the best and the worst)?
Oh that’s too bad! I’ve never got this case of expired licence but got something that became restricted access in my country before I could finish.
Oh, I watched “She was pretty”! Some scenes were really fun!!
That’s good that you enjoyed your first experience as a mod on-air drama even though it must have been tiring
After that, did you want to continue immediately with being mod on-air drama or you wanted to rest a little?
6) Who do you work / hang out a lot together with? Why? Do you prefer to work as a lone wolf? Why?
Yes, I see what you mean. I’m like that too.
If releasing quickly an episode was not really important, I would have picked working alone. It’s just more convenient sometimes when you just do what you want without putting notes and informing everyone even though you can feel lonely. I think that working in a team asks more organisation than working alone, that’s why I don’t like sometimes to organize things because it’s time consuming and it’s less enjoyable. But I think alternating things is good also, like on 1 drama, you work in a team and on another one, you are alone, so when you just want to stay quiet and sub, you pick the other one. You have the choice.
For segmenting, I pick segmenting alone or with a few segmenters but not on new channels. Because it’s more relaxing.
7) Has volunteering on Viki impacted your life? In which aspects?
Do you learn other languages? Or does it inspire you to learn other languages?
Me too, I have more vocabulary in English and I know better French too! But I can’t say that it’s a lot, I think it got better but in a moderatly way because the dramas that I worked on haven’t got specific terms in an area (medical, law field…) so the vocabulary was all in all pretty much common.
But good things that I can list are:
- I restarted to grow an interest in learning Chinese language, I had stopped a longtime ago after highschool so I’m just getting back to it step-by-step. Learning a language is so exciting and fun!
- When we put notes to explain something, we have sometimes to look on the internet and read articles about it and I learned for example about “sheng nu” in China or “leftover women” or a real Korean murder case where the killer only killed people wearing red and white (be really careful in a bus).
- I became more curious about Korean culture thanks to trendsetters channel (because during my diet of 0 drama, I wasn’t interested in Korean culture), I learnt some real life things that I wouldn’t have discovered without Viki like : about makeup for example (I’m not interested in makeup at all but I wanted to give it a try because I can train my English ear and at the same time learn about K-culture, kill 2 birds with one stone) so I know that Snail products are really good for acne prone skin and I know some good K-beauty brands if one day I want to give it a try or to recommend to my friends. Through Return of Superman and trendsetters, I also know some good cafes, restaurants and areas in Korea where it’s fun to hang out and other fun activities in Korea (mud festival, ice park, make tofu, visit ancient Korea)
What else? The Pepero day in Korea, and more things about Korean everyday life.
- I learnt tips for raising children from the Korean show the Return of Superman. It will be useful to every mother-to-be and father-to-be.
- I improve my typing speed xd It’s useful for professionnal life.
- I know how to make and use a Googlesheeet, I could reviewed a few Excel formulas that I forgot.
- I learnt a little about html codes
- Learning patience: I think I improve in that area with volunteering on Viki. Because you have to manage your relationships, people comments etc… I have become calmer when confronted with bad reactions from others, I won’t take things too personally etc
- Learning to work in a team : organize things (I’m not used to it)
- Taking more initiatives : before I would have never wanted to become a moderator or CM but since I have a little more experience now, these past few months, I’m more confident and accepted things that I would never have. It’s all about being ready to test new things where you were lacking confidence to take the step.
Wow, by thinking about it, volunteering on Viki did some things to my life
8) How do you see the evolution of Viki over the years or over the months?
9) What would you say to someone who is hesitant to contribute (should I or not contribute) ?
Wow, you became a subtitling sensei! Congratz!! Too bad I don’t know Dutch!
Yup, come over see subtitling academy
10) Question dedicated to thank people on Viki : Who do you want to thank? Why?
Oww, that’s just too adorable. Same, everyone deserves gratitude and many thanks, volunteers, staff, viewers who come here to watch.
Oh I like that you added some of your personal facts
Your list is well organized!
“What happpens to my family?” seems fun.
Thanks for your awesome facts about you! I would recommend you for Dutch subbers in nssa subtitling and dramas