Want to subtitle? Let people know!

Hello there,

I’m new here and I don’t know exactly where to start but I would like to help with subtitles from English to Romanian. I’m a native speaker for Romanian and my viki profile is https://www.viki.com/users/ina59/overview

Hello! I want to help with subtitles .I can sub from English to Turkish. (* ^ ω ^)

Hi @Ina59, I’m a newbie too. If you don’t know where to start the only things that I can recommend you is to continue reading and posting in discussions like you’re already doing, to search dramas and DM the Channels Managers and Moderators and last but not least to sign up in the Subbing Academy or in the Segging one (enjoying them is optional but I think it’s better do it). I add a last tip: DM just a few volunteers and wait for a while before sending messages to others and possibly choose just one of the academies to start because if you receive response from more people you risk to have to deny some projects for not having enough time. I hope I haven’t made too many mistakes in English and have been helpful.

2 Likes

Hello… I want to subtitle … I can sub from Chinese to english/// So pls looking forward to your replies :blush:

1 Like

hi!!
I’d love to help with subtitles! I would like to translate from English to Italian<3 Let me know!

ciao!
mi piacerebbe sottotitolare dall’inglese all’italiano <3 Fammi sapere!

I would like to help! I can translate from English to Bulgarian

1 Like

Hi!

I can make subtitles from English to Dutch and the other way around. If you are interested message me please :slight_smile:

Hola! The use of translation services like Gogle aren’t allowed anyway. Your subtitling has be be on it’s own merit.
Have you looked at the Project finder?

Well, that link BOMBED. To find it, go to VIki.com Click on the Community link at the top of the page. Then click Project finder.

2 Likes

Good to know. I am only new using that thing and wondered why it was not useful. Glad to know I am not crazy. :smile: (So much for being non-helpful :wink: :rofl: ) Well. Honesty time - The French you see in this discussion board with maurine_antoinne is entirely googled because I don’t speak French. But I said that right at the beginning. But Google must be pretty good for French because Maurine forgot I was actually using Google while speaking in French to her. :laughing: I wouldn’t try to subtitle using that though. And how would you use Google to subtitle anyway? You’d have to understand enough English to translate to Spanish anyway.

You don’t have to have lineage to speak a language, after all, I speak English and I am not English. I only know street Spanish from my neighborhood in California. But that is NOT correct Spanish. :sweat_smile: :rofl: At least I don’t try to pretend I speak proper Spanish though.

I am learning how to segment and am killing time helping at After School Club (ASC) which is a bilingual KPOP variety show - doing subtitles while waiting for the next level segment training. There are over 450 shows there that need to be segmented so I hope I finish my training in time to actually do some segments there. However, I don’t have the experience to talk about subtitling English to other languages though. At ASC, I listen to spoken English and type in the English and also listen to the spoken Korean and type in the English translations for the Korean that I do understand. I don’t understand how someone would use Google to translate to Spanish since you have to listen to what is being said. There is no written English on that show until we write the subtitles. Subtitlers would have to understand enough Korean to type something into Google and you can’t use romanized letters in Google - you’d get garbage. :joy: That show does have a lot of hard text but they leave a whole lot out so they aren’t used at all for subtitles.

The ASC show uses published lyrics for the songs and we’re lucky if they tell us the title beforehand. :grinning: Good thing I like a lot of kpop. Their guess the song games are ‘fun’ :scream: to figure out. :scream: :joy: :scream:

How 'guess the song’ works is (if you don’t know which song it is)
-Listen to the song.
-Go to the lyric site and listen to that groups songs on the site until you find the same tune.
-Then read through the Korean lyrics for the song until you find the lyrics that match the bar being sung. (I can read Hangul even if I don’t understand what it all means)
-type that translated lyric into the segment.

It gets even MORE fun when the lyrics aren’t on that site. So then I google the groups You Tube songs until I find the one that matches the song. Then go try to find the translated lyrics for that song and read through the Korean until I find the English translation for the bar being sung. So yea. a LOT of work. And I don’t know how someone could cheat. :rofl: (And people wonder why it takes time to subtitle!) :laughing: (It’s because we are too busy enjoying the music!) :rofl:

But it’s fun for me because I like Kpop. I just have to make sure I don’t get derailed and start just listening to songs instead of working. :laughing:

1 Like

Google is used for the WRITTEN English to whatever other languages. Not from spoken. (Although higher-up people are developing bots to translate from spoken language, they are not available to us common mortals yet)
Moreover, here at Viki nobody translates from Korean or Chinese to other languages than English, so that’s not what we were talking about. We were talking only about English to …whatever.

2 Likes

hello , i want to subtitle from english to spanish

Actually, some do. I recently heard about people translating directly from Korean to Polish. And they are probably not the only ones.
It’s just that Viki assumes that most other language speakers don’t speak Korean/Chinese/Japanese.

4 Likes

Google Translate is not good for ANY language. It might make less mistakes in big languages like English and French cause it gets more training in such languages, but good? No!

Yes, you can. Put GT to English to Korean, type in the romanized version of a Korean word and you’ll get the Hangul version on the Korean side. Now switch to Korean to English to see the English translation.

With Google Translate you get garbage anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I hope new subbers will read or had read your post about the project finder…

3 Likes

Hi! I can sub from English to Spanish, this is my profile: https://www.viki.com/users/joojanah/overview

Really? I didn’t know that. Interesting - but I’ve never use romanized letters for Korean - I hate them. I learned Hangul right off so trying to read romanized Korean is so weird it throws me off. When I was first learning Korean, I looked at the US Federal language program for learning Korean. What a joke that is! They teach their employees to read that awful romanized letters instead of learning Hangul. Stupid! I could not use their program at all because of that. So I learn online from Korean sources since they don’t teach Korean at the university I worked at.

But I still need practice spelling in Hangul. I can read Hangul but I can’t always spell what I hear correctly because of patchim.

Here is an example of what I am talking about.

안녕하세요 - hello
안용 is what I hear, but that is incorrect spelling. 용 is dragon. :sunglasses:
안녕 is the correct spelling.

Since Google sucks, I asked Yandex, which is supposed to be better at Korean than Google, to translate Dragon into Korean I got Konglish 드래곤 :rofl:

So, the Korean that I am listening to and translating to English and the lyrics I am listening to finding the printed form and then the translations., all that hard work - Other language subbers are taking the written English and running that through Google?

Oh. I didn’t know that was how they were doing it. :sunglasses: (What a bunch of slackers!) :laughing:

2 Likes

@porkypine90_261
Not everyone does that. we have many good korean to English moderators and editors working really hard and giving good quality work.

3 Likes

I learned them both at the same time. The Romanized version scared me more than the Hangul. :joy:
Yet, at computers other alphabets can be a pain sometimes. I did add Korean to my computer, but those stickers were nowhere available and besides … Am I going to add stickers for each new alphabet that I may learn? Then soon I will not see anything on my keyboard anymore, haha. So I mostly use:

Maybe under the influence of 지드래곤? :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course it’s just the criminal kind of subbers who do that and they get eliminated when caught.
Regular OL subbers and moderators work hard and have to deal with the challenges that come with translating from an indirect source.

1 Like

Too much 지막을 :chicken: :beers: :rofl:

1 Like

Hola, busco proyectos puedo traducir del ingles a español y de español a ingles