Want to subtitle? Let people know!

Hello, I would like to help. I can subtitle from English to Portuguese. I’m looking for a project to subtitle from English to Portuguese. I would like Western China, Costumes and period, comedy, fantasy, about the history of ancient China or ancient Korea. It can be absolutely simple or complex, from new dramas to those that have not been 100% subtitled. I hope to help you all, it would be a pleasure and satisfaction.
:heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :star_struck:

1 Like

Hello, I looking for a project from english to portuguese. :grinning:
Thank you!

1 Like

Try following this link: https://contributorhelp.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/18460015974419-How-to-create-Sample-Videos

1 Like

Thanks for helping~ But, I’m wondering if the article is new or old? I I’m wondering if Viki already remove that feature because at my dashboard really don’t have that section :cry:

Did you guys have the Sample Video section when you guys rookie / new to community? If not, what did you guys do to get the Sample Video section?

We old ones did not have this futire

3 Likes

Sample videos are relatively new and were initially only available for Spanish and Portuguese so we “old” ones never had it. That said, I did once have a bug on my dashboard that made me have rookie status for a moment and then I did have the sample-video option. Out of curiosity, I started creating one and it’s still at the bottom of my dashboard, but I don’t have it displayed publicly.

1 Like

Oh really? But i do try to create new account, but on the new account also don’t have the Sample Video section… :confused:

1 Like

I see, are you a subtitler?
If yes how did you get accepted to join the subtitling team since you don’t have Sample Video. I mean, they can’t see what you are capable of so how did you make yourself accepted.

2 Likes

I’ve had many roles, but I indeed started out as a subtitler. I sent a message to a few moderators. Some ignored me, but one gave me a chance and let me work on the show I applied for and later, when she got a new show, she invited me. Also, back then, you didn’t need to have 3,000 subtitles to become a moderator or at least there was no hard rule. It was just up to the CM if they trusted you to be a moderator. Nowadays, it’s a lot harder for newcomers. CMs are not allowed to add subbers without moderators anymore but to be a moderator, you need 3,000 subs in the language of choice and if you don’t have it, the system won’t let the CM add you even if they want to.

By the way, what language would you want to subtitle in?

1 Like

This means for beginners the position is subtitler right, only then can up rank as a moderator?

I’m still learning the Korean language, so for now, I will translate English to Malay. With hope, I will learn many Korean words at the same time.

Yes, until you have created at least 3,000 subtitles in the language you want to moderate for, you can’t be added as a moderator, but you can only be a subber if there is a moderator on the show you subtitle to guide you. A lot of CMs even want you to have 20,000 subtitles to be a moderator and/or start out with an experienced comoderator.

So you will need to find someone who meets the requirements to be a Malay moderator.

If you are hoping to subtitle from Korean to English, then I have to disappoint you. :cry: All shows now come presubbed in at least English, most of the time also in Portuguese and sometimes even in Spanish and French. If you get really good at Korean, there is still the option of becoming a TE (translation editor) for the English team cause even though the subs are already there, we still need to edit them. Also, you could caption K-dramas (transcribing spoken Korean).

And then there is an option that is different from subtitling but that at least is available for everyone. You could become a segmenter. You will need to go through our segmenting academy for that, though. You can apply for that here: Ninja Academy Segmenting Student Application Form
The academy will accept you, but there is a waitlist. While waiting, you can go on searching for a subtitling project. The academy will send you a message when it’s your turn to start. You will need to go through Sandbox (introduction) and 5 additional levels and then do exams before you can graduate. After that, you will easily be accepted into teams as a segmenter.
Because all shows nowadays have presubs, it’s improving existing segments rather than creating them, but there is enough work to do on that so you will definitely have a way to get enough contributions to reach and keep QC status. (To become a Malay moderator, though, you specifically need subtitles in Malay.)

1 Like

woaa thankyou for sharing. Means i need to apply as much as I can cause l didnt know which moderator want me?

Wait, so is it only Malay moderator that can accept malay subtitler? If they are other language moderator than they can’t accept it?

Ohnoooo! Is the TE also fans or work officially with Viki?

I do apply for this academy before but i didnt get any update :sob: i was worried maybe i dont have any chance to be translator. Thankyou for telling there is waiting list.

Is everyone will be accepted no matter what the background are?

Also, is there many CM that look for moderator ? I mean is it easy to get recruit if I pass all the requirement to be moderator?

1 Like

There are about 76 people waiting before you (if I counted well): Applicant List - NINJA ACADEMY
The people in yellow highlights are already in the academy and have started the course.

Everyone will be accepted into the segmenting academy and if you pass, you can always find a team to join as a segmenter.

Each time a new show comes out, the CM is looking for moderators. There can also be old shows that don’t have Malay subtitles yet. For new shows, the CM might be very strict, but since there aren’t many Malay moderators, it probably won’t be too hard once you meet the requirements.

The TE is usually also a volunteer. Occasionally, there is a staff TE.

Yes, because a Spanish moderator can not check if you know proper Malay or edit your subtitles.

Yes, but specifically to Malay moderators.

1 Like

Thankyou very much for share!

Ohhh, got it

The one that available for apply on project finder, isn’t that’s all have malay moderator? Since I also set the language I want to translate to is Malay. Or, they actually looking for moderator too, not only subtitlter?

1 Like

Yes, the CM looks for moderators and then the moderators look for subtitlers.

1 Like

Got it… Thank you for very well explain answer. And thankyou for answering my whole question! I don’t know what happen if I don’t met you. You are life saver :innocent:

2 Likes

But I noticed something interesting, that to be an Editor there is no minimum contribution number requirement. I checked in Help the other day. I thought it was strange, but there you go.

1 Like

For English (or Portuguese) editors nowadays, it would be problematic to have such a restriction since they don’t have the opportunity to start out as a subtitler and I don’t think that just going through our academy would give them the right amount of contributions.

3 Likes

Hello guys,

I want to subtitle from English to Spanish.
I have applied for 3 projects already, but I haven’t received any response yet.
Could you please provide me with some links for projects I can apply for as a beginner?

I deeply appreciate your help!

1 Like

There are less projects now, since many new Korean shows come already translated in Spanish. So the many translators that are already here, compete for less projects. That might be a reason why you have trouble finding any. You have a better chance with non-Korean shows, especially if they are old.

Secondly, did you perhaps apply through Project Finder? Not a good idea, since moderators don’t look at it daily. Better send a personal message to the Spanish moderator directly.

2 Likes