Was it right for VIKI to delete posts?

I would implement exactly two things:

1. A Block option, so whenever someone becomes annoying or bossy, you can just block that person, essentially hiding away their profile and posts. They wouldn’t be able to see your profile and posts, either. How awesome would that be?

2. The Be Nice! rule. You don’t have to get along with everyone, but I expect everyone to show a bit of politeness, refraining from personal attacks and such. Otherwise, why are you even here? You must be a troll or a bot, so now you’re banned. Or you must be someone with issues. We should try to help that person, but ultimately, I recommend they seek professional help.

With these two in place, everyone should be able to talk freely about anything they want.

2 Likes

@adrianmorales

BRAVO ADRIAN!!!

Wow love those two suggested options bc I could block those who are constantly attacking EVERYTHING I write here no matter how trivial they are.

#2 It’s the best one since some people are always attacking what others write, and they get away with it, which at this point is very fishy to me that such thing is allowed so freely in here.

1 Like

The nice rule is nice and well-intended.
Viki has something like that written on the forum and it is difficult to have the same definition universally.

What do you think of suggesting your idea to Viki by PM or through the Help center?

I don’t have a particular stance on this.

There should be control steps or people who watch if this is applied.

All in all, the trend nowadays is more regulation and control on social media by social media when it comes to discrimination, incitement to hatred, harassment, etc. and companies follow it in their own ways.

That’s the thing. People don’t need even more oppressive rules. They don’t need a Big Brother constantly watching their every move. There’s a reason the world has been set aflame. We can look after each other. And even if we can’t, do you think another person censoring us is going to change anything? It will only give leeway to abuse and corruption.

2 Likes

There are lots of different matters where an individual can’t decide without concertation and a general approval from his peers.

• Timed comments
    Disqus that has a block function, reviews and timed comments are monitored or at least, they created a task for that.
    There was a suggestion to abandon the timed comments function because of… we know.
    Some other peers didn’t want to, because of… we know.

The current situation is: timed comments, reviews and disqus comments are still under monitoring. It’s a huge task if we read other peers describing it, but the same peers who happened to monitor them or some who watched them didn’t want to give the function up.
The counterpart is: someone to monitor so other people can still enjoy.

• PG rating
    Some dramas left a bitter taste to some viewers because it was an offense to watch a type of scene for them and it was not appropriate for the audience on Viki so it was suggested first to remove the drama(s) or movie(s) falling in this category from Viki library or that in the future, they avoid buying this type of content.
    Some other peers didn’t want to because they didn’t feel the same repulsion towards the same scenes or they wanted diversity and said if someone doesn’t like one drama or movie, to watch something else, but to let others watch it if others like it and parents are responsible for their own children.

The current situation is: the content is here and they highlighted better PG (but still, there might not be equivalent to someone’s country or accurate or …)

• now: this forum

I am not Viki, Fb or Twitter or Unilever and the decision emanates from companies.

Your anger is directed towards a company because your freedom was repressed in a way you consider unfair and you can’t talk about what has occupied your mind lately.

On the other hand, some other users don’t share the same opinion as they told this week and the previous week, because they don’t feel they had less freedom. They feel that Viki intervention was right because it allowed them some peace of mind to avoid what has been going on currently and avoid fights between users.

There is no right, nor wrong here that others or you feel that way.
Your feelings happen.
The current situation happens.

The best to take your right back because you felt your right to speak has been taken away is to ask other users on this forum (and some have answered here, rather like in a democracy or in a poll because everyone is impacted by this decision and you are not alone). Then ask Viki with an alternative, in the better case, approved by some other peers.

Maybe you will have more chance that way.

This is just a suggestion with the intention to help you.

You’re normally more on the sunny side, I hope you can cheer up in some way and enjoy the upcoming summer.

1 Like

@adrianmorales

The one track mind people; THEY are always right, and EVERYONE ELSE/ others are always wrong. They can say whatever they want, but when other people say something, they need to be ‘‘flagged’’ and their comments HAVE to be deleted.

Like Winston Churchill said in the most wise way.

Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people’s idea of it is that they are free to say whatever they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.

Winston Churchill](https://www.azquotes.com/author/2886-Winston_Churchill)

2 Likes

No, you don’t understand.

If I didn’t want to help him, I wouldn’t have posted or explained him the past for the recent rules or asked him for an alternative and give him a suggestion to ask Viki and some others.

The post would have been eventually buried without interactions from other users and it allowed us to confront different opinions from other users. The main goal is not for someone to be right, but to know what others think on this matter, take it into account, develop ideas, find an alternative to that and foresee what can brake it from an idea in development to its realization like a plan or when a new product or service is thought or changed from the experimental phase to its application.

If after suggesting his ideas, Viki is opposing him “But…,” he has to foresee and takes it into account when giving his proposal.

This is just examples of what has been discussed or how it was solved on Viki.

Somehow, we don’t think of a solution or another side of our idea, so it is fine that by discussing, we come to find an alternative.

1 Like

If you take a look in this forum’s past or are a part of this community for long you could see that the recent situation didn’t happen suddenly.

The global real world crisis just added the last drop to this forum.

Some people have mainly negative views about this community and its users (maybe for people in general) for whatever reason. They’re spreading negative thoughts for years talking and waiting for change that will never happen - or at least no change in the way they expect it.

They expect different results though their thoughts, their behaviour stays the same.

Now VIKI did take action but suddenly some aren’t happy with that either (it’s not about your post/thread/opinion Adrian since you have a clear position and although you weren’t directly involved, VIKI’s decicion and new rules counts for you in the same way as for everyone else).

These examples are couple of years old, long before I even knew VIKI and this forum.

(Just scroll down and you’ll see the same statements as you see now; how bad this community is, how rotten (even worse than the real world - but how can one think the online world exists independent from the offline world? it’s not that being online means being surrounded by a programmed AI):

VIKI staff wrote:

The Viki Community Team has locked this discussion thread for violating Viki community guidelines, including:

Posting personal information, including Private Messages (PMs) and/or correspondence between other users
Posting personal attacks, insults, trolling, bullying, harassment, or threats towards other users

So it’s at least ~4 years old. Nothing changed and finally VIKI took action.

If you read the old posts you’ll also see that those who did have a different - more positive - opinion about the community and its users in general (in the way that not ‘all’ are bad, not ‘everyone’ is a enemy, there are no tons of sockpuppets (fake accounts) that do only exist for manipulations etc.) also kept their way of writing/posting.

PS:

I posted the old threads as examples that certain things are longterm issues that already existed before some new users joined this community and that even without being part of all that several years old stuff one could easily get involved in these old strings without knowing at first that its the usual pattern some are following for years.

2 Likes

I’m not angry, don’t worry about it. And if this post is buried, so be it. Just as you’ve mentioned, it means everyone was happy with the result. It also means that no one will treat you badly. That’s my priority: The wellbeing of my friends. Thank you so much for your support. :heart:

Thank you. Yes, I should cheer up. :smiley:

3 Likes

Let’s do just that, dear Wanda. :smiley: :heart:

1 Like

You bet. Enjoy your Sunday with your love ones, be blessed, and thanks for being the kind of person you are simple, honest, sincere and truthfully loving us all the same.

2 Likes