We refuse to work for abusive Channel Managers! 😡

Are you serious???
That means they haven’t even read this post :disappointed:

I will go now and check :eyes:

French moderator for a K-movie and Jdrama series :anguished:

2 Likes

le_bombay_447
For me this account has been created today (August 25th, due to time zone, I am in the Americas) which is indeed really weird because most vikiers’ accounts don’t post things directly to Discussions on the same day their accounts are created just to post such a negative comment. This is not common. Something is fishy here.:mag:

Account reported for using offensive words :sunglasses:
You came to the wrong place :wink: Sorry I have to report it. I have screenshots of everything.

Okay, this is enough!!! I was being seriously patient because I thought it was going to be taken care of but

Even though I don’t know French (but I trust @justine_desmoulins 100%) I will go ahead and ask viki staff to check this username and the other one too and to investigate the whole situation once and for all :angry:

4 Likes

So, it appears some messages were removed, but they’re somehow important contextwise, so I’ll reupload the message and censor any insult there may be.

This was my message to reply.

So regarding the post above, to let everyone understand, let me translate in english. I’m sorry, but my English will be alot better. The French is really horrendous. But please don’t report it. Let everyone see.

“Do you know French girl, you feel like you’re the center of the world. F***, you don’t understand canadian because you’re too bad and you’re so ugly, I feel like pucking (not sure about that one). Your head is so big, you should “slim” your head and slim you arse, f** s**. You belittle everyone because you’re not having enough s**, cow’s cry. I watch your posts and they’re worse than shit!! Do you understand that, S***, bird-bread! Do Viki a favor and disappear. Do you get it?

@Irmar, please, tell me if you understand this, because that’s not French, and it’s not because there are a few canadian words, that’s it’s canadian. If there is a French or Canadian person around here who can say this is, let me know!

But well, it’s funny how an account created yesterday is already aware of discussion and following threads
 Futhermore when I didn’t even mention any canadian story.
Probably a second account created only to diss me, because she doesn’t want to use her own account.

This one popped up also :

ENG: you’re so innocent, you don’t even see that the account was created almost 3 years agoo. loool. F****. [I don’t have that part honnestly] And there’s not 447 on my account. You don’t understand anything and you think you’re someone else. I’m in France, but from Quebec and I know you’re in Paris. I’m just saying

Once again, preposterous. Anyone can see the account was created today
 and anyone can see the name

5 Likes

I do understand, not because it’s understandable, but because I have imagination and guessing skills (you need to, when you are an editor here). One doesn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

6 Likes

So @Vikicommunity :wave: , don’t you intend to do anything about any of those events?

@irmar Thanks for your insight. Your words probably matter most than mine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m afraid it is obvious by now that none of our words matter for “them”.

3 Likes

And now we received a new survey for possible new features
 What a joke :sob:

3 Likes

I’m quite flabbergasted after reading these French replies/messages. As far I remember people in Quebec learn the correct French language at school, the spoken French is “old French” more like a dialect, therefore the different words, some are bilingual, but I’m not familiar with their proficiency, although I had friends who were.

• That person has a poor selection of words, I think it tells a lot about her/his character!! :open_mouth::cold_sweat:
3 Likes

Exactly right! Even if some rules are differents, conjugation and spelling are still the same. I could always ask the Canadian translation’s office which is an institution handled by the Canadian government. I remember reading rules years ago, and it was indeed in a very proper French, but that would be ridiculous to bother them for this :smile:

Anyway, what I’m seeing is that I’ve been insulted publicly and Viki didn’t do anything except remove the comment. This is how they protect their contributors

8 Likes

Justine: I agree with you and feel sorry you had to deal with this behaviour. I’m Canadian brought up by a French-Canadian mother. I also took my first three school grades in France as a young girl, then french every year throughout high school in western Canada. Not that I consider myself completely fluent anymore (studied Italian and have been working on my Korean the past five years)
but honestly I could barely understand those posts. It sounds like she was using the QuĂ©bĂ©cois ‘joul’ french, which is the more slang-laden version of their spoken language than the standard french taught in Quebec. QuĂ©bĂ©cois grew from 17th/18th century french which was spoken in France when colonization began in Canada. And while the french language evolved away from that, so did the QuĂ©bec french. The big difference is in the accent and pronunciation, but they also use much less formal speech with everyone: instead of the more polite ‘vous’ for ‘you’, they use ‘tu’ as #le_bombay_447 did in those rude comments to you. There are also many semantic differences when a word in QuĂ©bec French has a different meaning than the French Standard, or even words that don’t exist in Standard French. I don’t think I would absorb much from a drama subtitling with this more ‘niche’ version of french when it is so specific to one region of the world. As for #le_bombay_447 quite disappointed to even see such disrespect within the Viki community. Thanks for your expert work as a volunteer Justine. Quality in translating as well as courtesy count a lot.

6 Likes

May I know what that is?

Thank you for joining the discussion. Considering your background, your opinion matters a lot. I actually didn’t know the joual existed, I discovered something thanks to you :slight_smile:

Exactly, I’m not saying it cannot happen on Viki, they could ask for a “canadian” language if they really wanted, but that’s just not the “classic” French anyone could read and understand. French is still a language talked in many parts of the world (in more that 20 countries), so we need to use the most basic French to allow viewers watching from all these countries to at least get a grasp of the situation. (Even if they might all have some individual differences though.)

This is what we received : Interested in getting involved as a beta tester and participating in future product research for Viki? Technically, all qc’s should have received it. I can send it privately to you if you’re interested :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They also sent it to our VikiMail, in “announcements.” All QC Trainees, QCs, and Gold QCs should have it.

2 Likes

was it about testing new features?

Yes, it was.

Yes, exactly :slight_smile:

Anyway, back to the point @vikicommunity Still waiting for any explanation or handling of the matter

3 Likes

Glad this time around this post has not been closed :v:

Looking forward to hearing from @vikicommunity
We are all waiting :wink:

tenor

7 Likes

I would have never though it would stay! He was still flagged actually! It goes to show some people found it inappropriate, but the truth isn’t always pleasing to hear :roll_eyes:

Maybe there’s summer vacations going on for the Staff.
Thx for your support @marykarmelina :heart:

4 Likes

“The big difference is in the accent and pronunciation, but they also use much less formal speech with everyone: instead of the more polite ‘vous’ for ‘you’, they use ‘tu’ as #le_bombay_447 did in those rude comments to you. There are also many semantic differences when a word in QuĂ©bec French has a different meaning than the French Standard, or even words that don’t exist in Standard French. I don’t think I would absorb much from a drama subtitling with this more ‘niche’ version of french when it is so specific to one region of the world”

This is so true. I went to a Catholic Canadian-French high school taught by Quebecois nuns. My sister went to an Catholic Irish high school with a France-French teacher. When we tried to speak together, although I could understand her, she could not always understand me!!

7 Likes

Or maybe we are going for an anniversary here too :face_with_hand_over_mouth::grin:

2 Likes