What are you reading?

Hello,

As a writer I am really curious about what folks are reading and like to read in general. It can be anything, from a Jane Austen novel to a Japanese manga.

14 Likes

Currently, Iā€™m reading The Halloween Party by Agatha Christie. Genres I enjoy:

• Mystery/Detective
  • Apocalyptic
  • Action
  • Adventure
  • Sci-fi
  • Historical
  • YA

Basically, everything. Haha:joy:

2 Likes

Awesome! Poirot is such a dandy gentleman. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™m currently reading The Light we Lost. I love reading tragic love stories, time travel and historical books.

3 Likes

Time travel? Awesome! Have you read The Ivanhoe Gambit? Itā€™s part of the TimeWars series. It combines time traveling with historical people and places.

3 Likes

Iā€™m German and normaly I read German books by German authors or I read manga translated into German, but today I bought my very first English languaged book. Itā€™s ā€œNever Let Me Goā€ by Kazuo Ishiguro and even if it is the very first book I read in English, it is a good one I choose to read ^^

5 Likes

I love to read Fantasy and really love the Rachel Morgan series from Kim Harrison. And I just bought ā€œThe Hidden Rune of Ironā€ from Suzanne McLeod, the 5th book from the Spellcrackers series. And I love the Eve Dallas series from J.D. Robb, a crime & romance series playing in the future.

3 Likes

Oh, youā€™re diversifyingā€¦ Thatā€™s good! :slight_smile:

My current reading list:

The Hobbit - J.R.R Tolkien
Sherlock Holmes and the Valley of fear - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Quiet - Susan Cain
The art of war - Sun Tzu
The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux
Symposium - Plato

Iā€™m reading all books of Sherlock Holmes and recently Iā€™m in the third book. The same with the books of Lord of Rings. :heart_eyes:

:books: :heart:

3 Likes

Now reading ā€˜Royal Art of Poisonā€™ :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone feeling curious can check out my book blog:
http://phantompaper.wordpress.com

1 Like

I recently(ish) finished reading ā€œThe Southern Reach Trilogyā€ (Annihilation, Authority, Acceptance). I found quite interesting the way the books were connected to each other. Books 2 and 3 were like sequels AND prequels at the same time and the story was just so well wrapped up at the end.
There is also a movie adaptation of ā€œAnnihilationā€ but the script is laughable. (Granded, the person who wrote it dindā€™t read Books 2 & 3 and it was supposed to be a stand-alone movie).

Currently thinking of re-reading ā€œThe Angelā€™s Kiss: A Melody Malone Mysteryā€. Technically a Doctor Who novel, but it can stand on itā€™s own since itā€™s not about The Doctor. Itā€™s just soā€¦ witty.

In the past I did too dabble a bit in the Sherlock Holmes books, but I gave up since there were too many old-timey British words (I think?) and I was too busy trying to learn them instead of focusing on the story. :sweat_smile:

Also, restlessly patiently waiting for the fan translation of Addicted Book 2 to be completed.

3 Likes

Iā€™m submerged in Amitabh Goshā€™s River of Smoke. I mistakenly started with the second part of the trilogy, but itā€™s not the same characters so who cares!
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/jun/11/river-smoke-amitav-ghosh-review

3 Likes

Iā€™ve heard of the movie Annihilation! Sounds like my kinda stuff.

Greetings from one writer to another :slight_smile:

I used to read a lot since my childhood, often with intense phases of reading storys about a certain topic/genre, that after a while changes to a different one.

• auto/biographies

• scifi (hard to find good ones)

1. fantasy (hard to find good ones)

2. historic inspired novels

3. thriller

4. manga/manua/manwha

5. science

6. crime romance (rarely)

4 Likes

I wish I had time to reread an awesome series that will soon be made into a drama by Amazonā€¦

Robert Jordanā€™s Wheel of Time.

Itā€™s longā€¦and itā€™s awesome.

Soā€¦back to reading subtitles and erā€¦ā€œfan notesā€ sigh.

2 Likes

Sometimes we close our eyes to the reality that evil is present in the world, and some people need to recognize how to counter attack this evil attacks form whatever source it comes from. Put on the armour that will give you the means to defeat the darts of the evil one.

While the text does affirm the reality of the devil, Pope Francis also offers wisdom in following Godā€™s righteous laws and keeping our eyes fixed on the sovereignty of Jesus as we battle evil in our own lives and in the world.

ā€œIn this important book, Pope Francis tells us how to use powerful tools of spiritual combat against the devil including the Word of God, adoration of God in the Blessed Sacrament, participation in the Sacraments, fasting, prayer and the intercession of Mary, Mother of God, through the Most Holy Rosary,ā€ said Bishop Michael F. Burbidge of Arlington, Chairman of the U.S. Bishopā€™s Committee on Communications. ā€œWe must recognize that there is a devil who is alive and active, but there is also a shield against him through the power of Jesus Christ!ā€

1 Like

@adrianmorales

Since we forget often that evil exist in the world and some ppl. are used to hurt others too, I like the fact that this book can help me to find:

1. How to use powerful tools,
    of spiritual combat against the devil including the Word of God.

2. Fasting Prayer- I stopped doing this and the benefits of fasting and Prayers are priceless to OUR soul.

Lately, I was always blaming GOD for all the evil happening in the world, and as I came into this book I realized that I forgot the existence of the Devil, and the many ways he can make us turn our eyes away from GOD, bc of the continuous attacks we receive throughout our life from people, tragedies and such. Itā€™s such a relief for me to have found this book and opened my eyes again.

I DONā€™T Judge the POPE for whatever he says sometimes because itā€™s a MIRACLE in itself he still standing. POPES/PRIEST/PASTORS/etc. suffers the most attacks from the DEVIL. That is why He is constantly asking worldwide to us all; for our prayers because he knows heā€™s HUMAN and can make MISTAKES.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m glad the book is helping, especially during this period. :heart:

3 Likes

@adrianmorales

Thank you so much, you are a sweetheart, and you wonā€™t believe this: I had a dream that you was buying a car at a dealership in the Queens area (close by my house). I screamed out Adrian; What are you doing here?! Itā€™s me!

Like ā€˜ā€˜meā€™ā€™ would mean anything to you; since you donā€™t know how I look, but I knew it was you bc of your picture with those GOD bless your shining eyes in the sun.

I was happy to see you and happier that you was getting a beautiful black car.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s so lovely. Thank you for sharing your dream. :hugs: :orange_heart:

Ehhā€¦ Iā€™ve always imagined you as a striking lady from the Caribbean. But if Iā€™m wrong, I apologise in advance.

1 Like