What is your subtitling/segmenting setup?

Do you use an extended screen? :desktop_computer: Do you use headphones? :headphones: Do you snack while contributing? :popcorn: Is coffee a must? Tea? Notebook by your side?

Share your setup! :nerd_face:

8 Likes

I do not use an extended screen. I just use my laptopā€¦ Snacks and soft drinks are must to keep me going!! I do note down a lot of things while subtitling, I note it down on my phone. Things that needs to be brought up to the CM, doubts etc etcā€¦ While subbing for OL, I always note down errors in the english subtitles, so that I can inform about the same to the CMā€¦ I do not use headphones, because it might be a distraction for me and might interrupt my flow of thought. I also have a separate spreadsheet to note down the new words I come across in OL. So that, I can use it the next time when I come across the same word. I take a lot of breaks in between to bring in a balance!!!

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Moderators who hoard channels

Hi @lutra, no obligation to join the discussion if there is no input, no worries!

Thanks for getting my attention on the topics. Iā€™ll move your reply to the respective posts and continue the conversation.

2 Likes

Completely opposite of you, I need my headphones to save me from distractions! Also to hear the dialogues better, especially if I am translating from Chinese to English.

5 Likes
  • I do not use an extended screen
  • I always use earphones/headphones so I can catch the faintest sounds
  • I never eat while doing it because both my hands are occupied :sweat_smile:
  • Though I donā€™t have a notebook, I have several tabs open: an online thesaurus and the Team Notes; I might also have reference/research pages open for technical terms with certain dramas
8 Likes

Same as you, except for the headphones. It depends whether I wear earphones or not, for example if itā€™s more noisy at home. Also, I often have a Google document with notes on the drama for subtitling. Just a cup of water or tea by my side, but I have to be careful not to knock it over :sweat_smile:

4 Likes
  1. I do not use an extended screen, I just use my laptop.
  2. I always use headphones, because it is more comfortable for me.
  3. I do not snack, but I always make a tea, which I forget about later anyway because Iā€™m too focused on subtitling, so it is cold when I take a break.
  4. I donā€™t use a notebook, but I always have a Google document open to write things down, like character names, places, and words that I might find useful in the next episodes.
5 Likes

If this is for improving a feature at Viki, then Iā€™ll also share my setup.

I donā€™t use an extended screen for Viki, I donā€™t even need one for Viki. Neither do I need headphones, that could be because I mainly translate to OL. The English subtitles are right in front of me, so I can just translate them. However, sometimes I just increase volume for specific scenes where Iā€™ll need some Korean context to translate. For example: sometimes English subs say ā€œPleaseā€ for ā€œė¶€ķƒė“œė¦½ė‹ˆė‹¤.ā€ which could be translated to another phrase in my language rather than plain translation of ā€œPlease.ā€ In such cases, I might need high volume, but headphones? Umā€¦ no.

I admit, I have many tabs open when I am translating dramas with jargons or really difficult terms. I just finished translating an episode of Melancholia (which heavily uses jargons and mathematical terms), this is how my browser currently looks like:

I also have a sheet where I write down my daily accomplishments, what episodes I finished, what episodes I had scheduled but could not finish, how many episodes are left and alike. Here is a screenshot of that, (as you can see, this is a recent invention:grin:)

Do I eat snacks while contributing?
Thatā€™s impossible for me, either Iā€™ll just eat or Iā€™ll just concentrate; thereā€™s no in between. I do sometimes drink chai when subtitling in evenings.

Notebook? Hmmā€¦ no.
Spreadsheets are enough for me. For a while, not so long ago, I used to track my progress through Google Tasks but I gave up soon. That wasnā€™t interesting.
Then I found another app to track my progress, I still have it and it stores my progress on dramas really well. If anyone is interested, hereā€™s a link to that app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.moo.myworks.progressofproject

10 Likes

This is something I frequently run into too.

2 Likes

I use split screen one for the subs and the other for notes. Itā€™s very convenient without the hassle of tabs.

I switch between earphones and headphones.

No snacks but a drink maybe. When Iā€™m in the zone I kind of lose track of time and forget to eat.

Sometimes Iā€™ll take a break and listen to some music. That way Iā€™m not staring at my screen for too long. Might even watch a show on my ā€œbreakā€ lol

2 Likes
  • I use mainly my laptop, if I need an extra screen Iā€™ll use my iPad.

• If Iā€™m not home alone, I usually use headphones to cancel out all the noises. I some times do this at coffee shops too, so headphones are must!

• If Iā€™m binge subbing (hours and hours), I usually have something to snack, since I donā€™t want my flow to be disturbed.

• I use Windows One Notes a l l t h e t i m e, when subbing. Itā€™s my source of power :sweat_smile: There I have all my notes about the series Iā€™m workin on (and worked on), OSTs translated, vocabulary/ synonym ā€œindexā€ Iā€™ve collected when subbing, list of series Iā€™ve watched/ want to watch/ are coming soonā€¦ You name it and my One Notes probably has it :sweat_smile:

• I also use Google calendar, where I time block every subbing project with my work schedule, so I can keep up with everything. This is how I make sure I have time for every project Iā€™m in and that I donā€™t hoard too many projects at the same time!

6 Likes

Iā€™ve never heard of One Notes being used by volunteers. This is something unique, and new to me. If you donā€™t mind, can I have a glimpse of your work on One Notes? It doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s written in Finnish, I just want to see the layout. I am sure it would be of great help for me, too.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve recently discovered the :sparkles: MAGIC :sparkles: of Sticky Notes :smile:

These days, I find myself using them all the time. When I have questions for the English team, I use them. When I have to give feedback to my Hindi team, I use them. When I have to note timings of certain segments, I use them. Basically, theyā€™ve made my work easier than before.

I no more need to switch tabs or regularly open inbox/Team Discussions for typing in my feedback. I write it down in one of the sticky notes (either roughly or more detailed if required). And I guarantee, it works!

5 Likes

N%C3%A4ytt%C3%B6kuva%202021-12-20%20205127

This is a mess, I knowā€¦ but itā€™s my mess and I can find everything just fine :joy:
But basically every series has its own tab and under that tab is everything I need for that particular project.

If you want to see/ know more, let me know :relaxed:

6 Likes

Thank you!!
I donā€™t see any mess. As long as you understand whatā€™s inside, nothing like ā€œmessā€ exists. :laughing:

I got the idea, Iā€™ll try and see if it works out for me. If it does, Iā€™ll be very thankful.

4 Likes

Widescreen laptop - Windows 11 - Chrome
2 widescreen monitors
split keyboard
headphones
tea

Oh yea. Most important is my tracking spreadsheet. It tells me which shows to work on and which
days times they drop.
spreadsheet

6 Likes

Newbie subber/captioner here ā€¦

I know the answers will be widely varied, but what is the one thing you wish you had starting out ā€“ or one thing you have now that makes your job so much easier? For someone like me who is just starting on her subtitling journey, Iā€™d be interested in seeing what equipment yā€™all consider irreplaceable or, for lack of a better word, mandatory for a good subbing experience.

4 Likes

I would say ā€“ STICKY NOTES!!!

Apart from bad subs (which already irritated me), I no longer have to keep switching tabs or split my screen (which also irritated me)!

Butā€¦ itā€™s true that I only need it when working with teams. When I work alone, I donā€™t require sticky notes that much, maybe for writing down a phrase which might be useful in coming minutes.

Iā€™d say, making a sheet to store all my subs was also brilliant.
Itā€™s really handy for flashbacks, repeated punch lines, or even when English teams change some subs/OSTs; I can just search and find the subtitle. There were changes made to OST yesterday, so some Hindi subs in this sheet differ from their English counterpart.

Orā€¦ this premade document. Whenever I get similar project finder messages, I also send my already made message. Itā€™s very useful, I donā€™t have to waste time in such things anymore.

Of course, I still need to personalize them. These are the most general messages that I send.

13 Likes

question - why would you copy al your subs onto a sheet when you could use the bulk translation tab to find stuff?