What's a "good" volunteer for you? + Helpful guidelines

I am already in NSSA 1st project.
Yes, of course it’s ok to ask - it’s publicly written on my profile anyway. I work with Greek, French, Italian, English, in any combination.
I also understand some other languages a bit, but not enough to translate.

2 Likes

Here we are, I made my general guidelines document for Italian. When I have time I’ll also do it for Greek.

2 Likes

Awesome Irene.
Don’t forget to notify me as well.
Sometimes I feel I also need more guidance
And I have seen your resources in your profile, truly useful.
I am going to use them in my profile too for any new volunteers who will happen to check my profile.
And I am really looking forward working with you again in the future.

2 Likes

You are wonderful.
For ANYONE who is interested these are the guidelines all the teams I have so far been on adhered to:

1. NSSA guidelines: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1VtoxJT2gIExSdLtb1beMcOXvtDKy50V8eKbbEXwEehU/pub
  2. cgwm808 guidelines: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fe3dj5IWenyG6OHylvEEMCu2QwmQ5Rwiv_44NtaNcEQ/edit

Pretty good post on what is a good volunteer:
http://nssacademy.weebly.com/channel-roles-guide.html

1 Like

Hi everyone.
I read real fast the thread, how very interesting! Sorry I don’t have the time to make an elaborate answer, but thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.

@sophie2you @irmar @piranna
You can find all guides on NSSA website: http://nssacademy.weebly.com/
They are very complete. And in fact, it’s the NSSA guidelines that inspired the French guide we all know. :wink:

@Piranna, to be honest, I am very much interested in your progress chart. A current pet projet of mine (amidst real life obligations, very delayed editions and all other current hobbies) is to translate and make a guideline as complete as possible for French NSSA Academy. And start this academy, of course! But there are so many things to do and organize first. Would you be interested in lending a hand? In how to organize the courses, or as a teacher, for example?

2 Likes

Hello littleangele :smile:

Our chart is not really well developed, it’s just a table in a googlesheet with our correction for each person and we wrote down number of corrected segments / total segments for the part for each edition we did with the date. We didn’t think that it was necessary to develop a better one since it was enough for the team to understand their mistakes. We only did it for 2 projects where it was needed since the edition was very long to do, we didn’t have another choice.

I filled out the form to do Nssa training in subbing in French just a couple of weeks ago xd I don’t think that I can be the teacher and the student at the same time. It would be quite funny.
I don’t mind lending a hand to this program if it could help, why not ? But am I qualified to do it at the first place ? I can PM you if it’s more convenient for you to talk about it (in French of course).

1 Like

P.S. I also signed up for NSSA Korean school (not running yet). They then wanted me to skip the student and pushed me to be a teacher… :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe littleangele’s suggestion falls within the norm.

Sophie, :heart_eyes:
Oh… So what I was calling the “viki subtitling guidelines” were really not the official ones, but the ones made by cgwm808. But… this exact same text was on a page here at viki once. I know because I had copy pasted it on a Word document and saved it. Or is cgwm808 a representative/staffer?
I’m a bit confused.
Why? Because of this darned break issue. There is a whole huge group of Italian moderators who more or less reign here at viki, who demand breaks in the middle of long sentences, therefore most subtitlers, who have been working with them at some time (I also subtitle for them) are used to putting breaks. And in my own guidelines, after a whole discussion, I have followed cgwm808’s advice and said not to insert breaks if it’s the same person speaking.
But I’d like to find a really official place where this is written, so that I can show the Italian ladies. And there isn’t such a place, I’ve searched everywhere. I sent an official question to Help and nobody ever answered, although they did answer all my other queries.
Sorry if I went a little off-subject.

Notify you? Are you kidding me? I was inspired from your notes to compile the first ones I made, back then!!! (Remember, I asked for permission to do so…)
Yes, I know, I did correct you a few times on Jackpot, but sometimes it was just a matter of personal preference, and sometimes because you have too many projects and you did it in a hurry. I wish someone gave me feedback as well. As they say, two pairs of eyes are always better than one. Even as a professional adult, I showed my mother my translations, and she always found something big to correct - I was appalled at how I hadn’t noticed it. And she did the same with me, I read her articles and translations and found things, although she used to be top in the profession.
Just looking at your project list makes me dizzy, and that is, of course, the reason, I never dare to ask you to help out in my own (but if by any chance you’re interested in Jade Lover and The Legend of the Deep Blue Sea, I’d be delighted to have you in the team!)

cgwm808 is a really really old (longtime) member she works for herself and is no employee of viki!
She is one of the heavyweight chief editors on Korean shows. She happened to be chief in anything I was remotely interested in so I worked with her a lot.

yay! you’re on two future projects with me!

Dear Irene
I know what you mean however since you are a professional I believe the ones you will make will be more complete than mine.
Secondly whenever you wish to lend you a second pair of eyes in editing before locking an episode not hesitate to ask me and whenever you have a little bit of time you can also lend me your eyes in one or more of my complete projects that need editing.
And as for my list of projects since most of them are off air I am not feeling intimidated at all. Afterall only a couple of times some viewers asked me the progress of our translation, that means the Greek community that watches the series here either knows English or can wait for our greek subtitles to be completed and I am very grateful for them for not pressuring me.
As for W i saw the trailer and I believe I could accept a part per week.
Finally I would like you to tell me if you don’t mind of course which translators you find to be better and which need help because I would like to help as well guide them if they probably participate in my projects as well.

2 Likes

Oops, sorry, it wasn’t W, it was Jade Lover! Same actor, only longer series… (I corrected it in the previous message)
OK, let’s continue in p.m, LOL!

1 Like

But, the NSSA is official viki? Excuse my ignorance, but there are so many different “academies”, some of them by a private group.
So the guides are considered “Official viki guides”?
Because, if so, on the issue of the break which I was asking earlier, the instructions are a bit ambiguous:

_> BREAK
_
> A break should be added to separate two sentences in one segment or to add a note or explanation in round brackets ( ) on the line below the translated sentence.

It doesn’t say whether you SHOULD separate two sentences by the same speaker, or only if it is two speakers, as in cgwm808’s guidelines. She specifically says not to separate in two lines if it’s only one speaker.

In at least one thing they seem to disagree…

Well in my channels new heart, general hospital 2, Yi San and The Duo we use the break (for explanations) only if the sentence isn’t too long and viki won’t break it more. So we try having a two line segment max in most cases. And we of course use it for different speakers.
I have checked that in most mobile devices the two lines are acceptable and won’t make it difficult to read.

1 Like

Break for explanations is ok.
I’m talking of a break if it’s the same speaker who says a long sentence. What they say about the mobile devices is that, as when you put artificial breaks in MS Word, and then for some reason you add a word or two, and Word has its automatic line breaks, so at the end you have both the automatic line breaks and the manual ones, resulting in 3-4 short lines which break randomely. Something like that. It was fully explained in another thread. And it seems that it happens only with certain apps, (Viki SmartTV/Roku/AppleTV)

1 Like

Since there is the probability viki will break it more we avoid that

1 Like

Not official per se, but it’s supported by Viki, yes. This would be large scale, not just teaching for a private group. A bit like how it’s already done for segmenting (NSSA and SEG101 both). If I am not mistaken, the guides were written by fans for fans.

About the break, I also asked around back then, but no one could answer me for sure. However, after witnessing how breaks can mess up subtitles on screen (on mobile phone, the app, even when the screen gets smaller on laptop, or just on laptop when the breaks aren’t used correctly), I have decided to not use them anymore unless they are needed (two people speaking in the same seg, to differenciate OST, editor’s note for example). IT’s true that so far, French teams used breaks a lot. It’s already a habit, and it’s true it’s easier to read two same-length lines rather than a long one and a short one, but since it can mess up on some screen, no choice in my opinion.

2 Likes

Hi hi! Glad to see you so active on Viki. New blood is wo welcome!

It may seem simple to you, but that’s a lot of work! And some organisational skills that may be used for NSSA. :stuck_out_tongue:
As Sophie2you said, when skills are recognized, no need to be a student first, especially since it’s something we are setting up, so we need teachers first and foremost. Else, I am like you. Back then, I also wanted to go through NSSA subbing academy, but as you see, it’s not there yet and I gained experience since then.

Well, yup, we can also speak through PM if you would like. But just let me repeat myself: this is a slow and long work considering all of us are pretty busy, unfortunately. But help is always welcome! :smiley:

2 Likes

You’re welcome. :smile:
I am also busy when I am not on holidays so I may not have much time later to do it fastly, sorry for that. :slight_smile:

Oh no, it doesn’t seem simple for me at all. And I am not really organized :blush:

Ok, I will PM you to ask more questions about it later (I can’t right now, I’m going on holidays abroad tomorrow so no Viki for me)

Thank you ! :wink:

1 Like