What's a "good" volunteer for you? + Helpful guidelines

I also ran away from a show because didn’t know enough Korean and Chinese… :frowning: It is so hard. I know the English is there but the source Chinese is a much better approximate. 70something episodes of c-dramas later… I feel much more confident.

I love the script. Isn’t it wonderful? no more replay 6x and consulting. I also have fun putting things not in script too.

You know the similarities is probably chinese influence.

1 Like

Yes Six Dragons Soar is closer. I think the person who named it used a pure Korean verb form. I always hear things in the chinese shows so now I want to sub in Korean. If I could I would want to watch shows with korean subs because more similar languages.

2 Likes

Interesting that you mention determination (others also used the word “sensibility”). I mentioned something like that in my initial post in this topic and was jumped by a reader who criticized me vehemently only to recognize that she didn’t read properly my post… :confused:

1 Like

I know that I have made a huge mistake by reading you fastly and answering you this way because of this error of forgetting words. I didn’t feel happy to have answered you like that. And I have said my apologies for it. It was unfair for you, I am really aware of that you know, so I give you my deepest apologies again if you are still unsatisfied about it. I didn’t do it willlingly and it happens to everyone to make a mistake while reading a comment, doesn’t it ? I didn’t think that it was still unforgiven even after my apologies because for me, I thought it was. And from my surroundings, in France, when other people misunderstand what I say and they told me that they are sorry, I just accept their apologies and move on, I won’t blame them for this kind of mistake. My friends, my family are the same too.
I don’t know if I have hurt your feelings but it wasn’t on purpose. I am really sorry about it. I have sensibility too and I know that I have done wrong in my answer regarding what you have told.
I hope that you won’t take it at heart because for me, it’s not like if I have killed people and their parents won’t accept my apologies, nor I have done something really really bad to someone as steeling someone’s boyfriend through my actions that it can’t be unforgiven. I would understand if people would blame me forever for this kind of mistake.

I think if we had real life conversations, it would have been better so I could have stopped my answer right away if you told me so before saying something that you haven’t. I don’t know you personnally but I know myself enough to be polite and say sincere apologies when I’m at fault. My apologies again if it can make you feel better.

1 Like

Would you mind sharing the French learning resources with me? They sound great.

I briefly did some French subbing a loooong time ago, but I quit after realizing that I didn’t know enough French. I was scared of becoming a burden to the editor :frowning:

Good news, though. I’m still continuing my French education at school and should (hopefully) be ready to give French subs another try by next summer ^~^

2 Likes

In case any of you are interested.
I just compiled a list of Korean profanities-swear words-slang. Knowing the sound of it and how it is usually translated in English will help translators understand the intention behind each insult, in order to render it better in their local language.
I’ve also made a list of Italian insults, with two columns: the ones which we’re not allowed to use in subtitles, and the ones which we can select from.

6 Likes

what is happening in this thread

@irmar did you post something with your comment, there is just a white space.
I’d be interested to see such list, it could make it easier to prepare such wordings ahead
in German since it’s sometimes hard to figure out the degree of profanity… there is also a
thread in discussions about using/applying swears etc on viki:
https://discussions.viki.com/t/is-swearing-allowed-while-subbing-a-drama/9544/3

1 Like

@irmar and @simi11 I heard that there is a sheet that an inactive user created. Let me try to see if we can pry it from her. I pm’d BWCatNYC a huge list and did research too.

My list was from Reply 1988

1 Like

Me too. It really surprises me that some moderators have such elaborate charts and even hold classes.

1 Like

I had three Skype tutoring events today. My wish is to make my job easier in the future, by letting my team understand what I mean when I say that it should be good in the target language. It’s much easier for them when we do Share screen and they see me research for words, and ask myself, and them, “how could we make this better?” etc…

I edited the link.

2 Likes

I’d love to have your list to enrich mine!

@irmar thank you so much for that interesting list.
I always laugh when they say: Do you want to die, or I will never forgive you… to me this is very funny as someone would want to die when he is asked so and someone who is not important to you will never forgive you, like you care… must be such a cultural thing… I just remember a saguk and I know where it’s coming from…
One thing that is frequently used ist the word “wench” and there is not a good word in German for that, I wonder what alternative english words are used, cause sometimes it’s used casually so Im not sure what degree is meant when they apply it.

re:Cursing pm to BWCatNYC
diseases:
지랄하다 (ji-ral-ha-da) - Foaming of the mouth. Back in the day when people have rabies. They acted weird. So it’s saying that you’re diseased foaming blithering idiot.
염병 (yeom-byeong)- typhoid fever. Basically same principle as 지랄 except we’re talking about you be damned and getting typhoid fever now.
sex references:
씹 (ssip) - literally sex. The female reproductive system. Internet nonsense says it’s cuz the female reproductive system is damp so 씁 (sseup (humid)) and it evolved to 씹.
씹하다 (ssip ha-da) - to f**k.
Therefore since education is all about applying one’s knowledge what does 씹(sip)새끼(saeggi) mean?
It means f-ing bastard. :smiley:
So what does 18 mean everyone? 씹할 (ssip-hal) = 시발 (si-bal) about the same. F-ing!!! yay!!!
So all the grape seeds and vitamin C’s you hear are I think the cultural equivalent of heck instead of hell etc. It’s really only half a curse!

• 쌍놈! (ssang-nom) - Literally peasant. So… you’re basically putting someone down and saying they’re illiterate peasants.
  • Etymology on 기지배 (gi-ji-bae) - originally 계집녀, and it evolved… I’m still not sure why it’s derogatory, but people feel not good being called that… not sure.
    *ajumma2 said that 미친년 (mi-chin-nyeon) can be anything from girl to bitch (so we try to sub in context)
  • 엿먹어! (yeot-meok-eo) - f off. It’s a 1960s CSAT urban legend that the answer was I forgot but authorities insisted it was yeot. So they threw yeot (traditional taffy) at the testing admins and thus a way of saying screw off or screw you was born.

dialect: we always get Busan. Maybe cuz 2nd most populated city in Korea???

• 문디 (moon-di) - cousin with Andong and Gumi parentage (both small cities in Gyeongsang Province) explained as 문디 means not good and I’m like nod nod. I ask Momma who’s got Gyeonggi Province parentage and she’s like… those people are strange.
    문디 = 문동(moon-dong) + 보리 (bo-ri) ==> In Gyeongsang Province, a lot of times the harvest basically sucked and so you got rice shortages. People ate barley (보리) instead. A 문동 is a scholar/learned person. So you’re saying barley eating educated person. How is it insulting? Well this is more a contextual word to put down GS people as poor and ignorant. It’ll be tough to find a GS person who doesn’t flinch when being called 문디.

So the dog references.
I didn’t know about WHY but meh. Link below says it’s cuz puppies like to masturbate so it’s to kind of put that image upon people. Not sure.
Found this nice link while I was doing my quick 30 sec research:
http://hangul.typographyseoul.com/tshangul/19669

P.S. Cannot add comments to your document so here:
존나 and 열라 = friggin is a good translation
화냥년 = horny whore (not that it has any violent undertones.)
또라이 = weirdo, odd one <= not really a curse at all (read the body language)
도대체 means exactly why! Why exactly! Iterate for me! (remember Korean doesn’t say things in more than one way. To emphasize you repeat yourself. If you listen to subs you’ll hear the repetition). < = not a curse word at all.
껴져 = piss off. Not really a curse.

You know what’s really bad? calling the people from Jeolla Province 홍어 (hong-eo) skates because during the Gwangju democratic movement, many died. The smell of rotting corpses is like that of fermented skates so you’re calling people’s relatives and brothers, and sisters who were downtrodden by the government, rotting fish.

5 Likes

Bien le bonjour,

Je vais écrire en français par fainéantise, hein. Pardonnez, pardonnez ceux et celles qui pourront. Attention le gros pavé made in Ytr et si vous cherchez une fautive : @littleangele. ;D

Bwahahah, désolée mais je suis bien forcée de rejoindre Guilitoy sur le fait que bah, ça me fait rire. (^_^) J’ai fait une lecture transversale de l’ensemble et une seule chose : qu’est-ce que vous êtes sérieux/ses et d’un altruisme. À côté, mes motivations transpirent un grand égoïsme. Sérieux.

On va commencer par… le commencement, en disant qu’un bon volontaire pour moi se résume en deux qualificatifs : diligent et rigoureux. Que ce soit dans le sous-titrage ou dans le séquençage. Après, que le volontaire soit causant, réservé, etc, j’ai envie de dire que ça n’est pas le critère primordial. Le reste n’est que question d’affinités entre les volontaires. Il va de soi que la bavarde que je suis est toujours contente de discuter avec de nouvelles gens, de plaisanter. Ça rend la traduction plus vivante et enrichissante, mais on peut s’en passer (l’exemple des projets sur lesquels je suis toute seule, bah assez difficile de me faire la conversation toute seule ^^).
Dès lors, je porte deux types de projets lorsque je modère :

• type modo no-life : je suis seule membre de mon équipe ou éventuellement avec une ou deux autres personnes, et on avance calmement ;
  • type modo envahissante : j’ai une équipe bien fournie composée de traducteurs que j’ai démarchés et d’autres qui se sont portés volontaires d’eux-mêmes, et les mots d’ordre dans ce cas sont “let’s have some crazy fun subbing this drama !” (^__^)
    C’était pour répondre à la question objet de la discussion.

Je disais tantôt que mes motivations transpirent l’égoïsme parce que Viki DOIT rimer rigoureusement avec trois mots pour que ça marche : fun, partage et loisir.
Fun parce que quoi qu’il arrive, traduire doit rester amusant.
Partage parce que je souhaite donner à d’autres, par les sous-titres que je crée, ce que d’autres par leurs sous-titres m’ont donné, lorsque j’étais plus jeune et que je ne parlais pas un mot d’anglais, allemand, japonais et mandarin.
Loisir parce que bon an mal an, Viki n’est qu’un passe-temps les gens. Hors que question que ça devienne une prise de tête pour quelques raisons que ce soit.

Dès lors, je fais partie de ces modos qui, dans une certaine mesure, trient les candidatures (je l’ai appris à la dure). Et pour cause, j’ai mes limites et la plus grande est que j’abhorre éditer (celles qui me connaissent reconnaîtront la reine de la procrastination d’édition faite femme ;D). C’est vraiment le truc que je fais parce qu’il faut le faire, mais lorsque je peux m’en passer, je ne fais pas la fine bouche. Or, il n’y a qu’un moyen de s’en passer c’est que les traductions initiales aient été faites avec diligence et rigueur (albeit les fautes d’inattention, évidemment, personne n’est parfait). Il en résulte donc que je n’ai absolument aucun scrupule à remercier poliment les volontaires qui ne remplissent pas ces critères a priori comme a posteriori de l’intégration dans l’équipe (qu’on se le dise néanmoins, le fait est plus rare a posteriori).
Et pour cause, si je trouve très charmantes vos idées (notamment @Piranna) très pédagogiques sur l’accompagnement des traducteurs, les tests, les fiches, etc. Hmm, je dirais pour ma part que je n’ai pas vocation à faire (et je n’en ai d’ailleurs pas envie XD) l’éducation linguistique de qui que ce soit. Et surtout, je pense qu’on ne devrait pas avoir à le faire. On n’est pas prof et surtout j’estime que c’est faire preuve de respect que de s’assurer d’avoir un niveau correct dans une langue avant de se lancer. Je ne cherche pas la perfection, mais c’est le minimum syndical à avoir. Autrement, c’est du gros “foutage de gueule”, si vous me permettez l’expression. C’est pour cette raison que je vais trouver que toutes ces idées font trop et surtout que leur finalité est bien moindre. Soit tu as un niveau correcte, et tu traduis diligemment (s’interroger sur le vocabulaire, la conjugaison, etc) et t’améliores aussi ce faisant, soit tu n’as pas un niveau correct et je suis désolée mais tu retournes à tes manuels pour consolider tes bases. Logique.
Autant je suis à 100% pour tout mettre en œuvre pour faire comprendre aux nouveau & Co. que volontariat ne signifie pas laxisme et que dès lors la traduction sur viki doit revêtir ce semblant de sérieux et rigueur tout en restant de l’ordre du loisir, autant le reste c’est à eux de le faire. De prendre l’initiative de s’améliorer.
Bah oui, écoutez, j’ai été nouvelle comme tout le monde, génération Viki donc récente, mais je n’ai pas souvenir d’avoir jamais été un “cas social” à la hauteur de certaines gens avec qui j’ai pu avoir l’occasion de bosser. Arrive un moment où il faut arrêter les bêtises. (-_-,)

Par conséquent, dans une certaine mesure, je me retrouve tant dans ce que Guilitoy dit que dans ce que Piranna dit. Je ne laisse couler que pour autant que ça ne remet pas en cause mon fun à traduire (égoïsme quand tu me tiiiiiens XD)

Cela dit, s’il est vrai que je comprends que les propos de Guilitoy aient pu offusquer d’aucun(e)s, il faut reconnaître que ça ne manque pas de pertinence. Il est de ces choses que tu ne peux appréhender que lorsque tu as eu le vécu nécessaire à leur compréhension. En l’espèce, je ne veux même pas imaginer ce que ça peut demander de patience et de “dévotion”, pour avoir ce nombre monstrueux de contributions, ainsi que les compromis que ça implique. XD On n’a simplement pas les mêmes priorités, ce qui est somme toute normal.
Donc, c’est beau de chipoter, de rêver du merveilleux land des parfaits traducteurs, mais gardons les pieds sur terre, voulez-vous ? Ou du moins, achevons autant de contributions à notre actif et reparlons-en.

Par ailleurs, s’agissant des modérateurs fantômes… Bwahahah, à bas le modérateur fantôme, sérieux !
Ce cas de figure m’insupporte d’autant plus que je compte parmi les traducteurs initiaux dans les projets dont j’ai la modération. Lorsque tu modères un projet c’est que de deux choses l’une : tu as des traducteurs et tant mieux pour toi, tu pourras te concentrer sur la gestion de l’équipe, etc ; tu n’as pas de traducteurs et bah tu dois mettre la main à la patte et avancer ton projet toi-même, lentement mais sûrement.
A côté de ça il y a les modérateurs qui vont te prendre mille et un projets en cour de diffusion en même temps… Ce n’est juste pas gérable. M’enfin, ce n’est que mon humble avis.

Dans tous les cas, terminons par un big shout aux contributeurs “monstres” de Viki (sous-titres et segments confondus, toutes langues confondues aussi). Maiiiiis je ne connais nominativement que les “monstres” des sous-titres français donc : @Guilitoy, @Kobolt et @Charlie40 ! ;D

Bon dimanche à tous/toutes.

4 Likes

Korean language is getting more and more interesting. :smiley_cat:

@sophie2you Im still curious what other words or what is the exact meaning (in korean) of the in english translated “wench”, it’s used for example in FIP but also common in modern drama… thanks

1 Like

On ne demande pas de la perfection, en géneral. Juste de faire la distinction entre “attentat” et “assassinat” ou “bagarre” et “divorce” quand on traduit .
Pour le reste, je suis d’accord.

1 Like

Probably 네이년! (neh-ie-nyeon) or 이년 (ie-nyeon)
literal translation is you girl!! (but if you read body language it is very much in line with wrench)

1 Like

I am the worst when it comes to this… I fix things even if the subtitle is “correct” because I once played back an episode in Spanish with my minimal Spanish skills from the Korean. Quelle horreur! I do this to make sure the feeling conveyed is accurate too. (ex: me and 2lizz5 went fishing for 교묘하게 협박. We found “artfully threaten.” This word is perfect.)

Like @lupita311 said we are playing a giant game of telephone. I dearly dearly wish for the English team to use a dictionary but sometimes it is too hard and I understand so I find these words myself and post onto team discussions. When they don’t use them I get sad.

What is annoying to me is when the official English translation isn’t used. If you google it is the first link!!! (e.g. National Tax Service (NTS) > Korean IRS, Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (MFDS) > KFDA, Assemblyman (Korean government is an Assembly) > Senator, cardiac arrest > heart stopped)

and these mistakes are made throughtout the entire series… :frowning: If I leave them it looks like sloppy work.

Am I expecting too much…? I noticed using a dictionary and thesaurus makes my translations better (inspired by awesomeharry and Nirvana in Fire team) so I started using them too.

1 Like