When is is okay to start subbing a drama?

So, I’ve heard a lot in the discussions about contacting the Channel Manager before subbing, because some English-subbed episode might not have been edited yet, but I have a question;

Is it at any time acceptable to sub without contacting the manager? If it says below the drama that “this and this episode is open for new languages”, meaning they’ve already been edited, can I just start subbing without asking for permission?

1 Like

Of course not. You need to follow the guidelines of this site, and those are that you must be part of a team in the drama to be able to do subtitles. You have to wait until the moderator in your language sends what they call here the ‘‘Go’’

Under any circumstances you can start writing subtitles in a drama, movie or show (program/documentary) without following the proper procedures.

1. Contact moderator in your language and request to be added in the team.

2. Wait until the moderator sends you a PM that the episode was released to other language.

3. Follow the rules of the moderators (they usually have several) like ask for the part and let them know when you finish the part. Don’t do the OST or credit (usually the moderator will do those).

Start by going to this link and reading carefully so you learn what to do:
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/categories/200004034-Subtitling-Community

Volunteer Guidelines

• 2 days ago

Follow

PS. THIS IS A WARNING POSTED @ DAYS AGO:
Members of the volunteer community on Viki must follow the following Volunteer Guidelines.Failure to follow these guidelines may result in account suspension or other action. To report someone for failing to follow the guidelines, please contact us through the Help Center.

Subtitling Guidelines

• Follow the Channel rules set by the Channel Manager and Moderators
  • Always contact Channel Manager and/or Moderators before starting to subtitle, especially on active Channels.
  • No inappropriate subtitling, which may include but is not limited to:
    • Subtitling without knowledge of the original and destination languages
    • Copying subtitles from a non-Viki source
    • Using a translator program (ex: Google translate)
    • Subbing with the sole objective of raising the number of your total subtitles
    • Editing subtitles that are correct and/or complete
    • Adding only HTML or punctuation marks into an empty segment
    • Deliberately adding incorrect subtitles
    • Adding anything other than subtitles to the subtitling section
3 Likes

Thank you! I haven’t done it, but it made me wonder when I first saw that written on a drama poster. Thank you for explaining, and giving me the link!

2 Likes

Your welcome. I’m glad you didn’t do it, and asked first because that can work against you in the long run. I wish you the best of luck and welcome you to the world of volunteers at RakutenViki site.

Thanks! :grin:

1 Like