Which languages do you know and which do you want to learn?

Either alone or at school ^^ I used to live in switzerland so I learned german there.
Then I moved to Korea when I was 10. And that’'s how I know Korean.
In korea the 2nd language that I took at school was Chinese, so I’m learning it since I’m 11 or so.
Then I learned English by myself because Korea is NOT the place where I could learn English and become fluent.
But since last year my English teacher at school is Canadian so I’ve been able to learn more properly the language.
I continued to study German when I transfered School…
And I want to become an Interprete (?) so I have to know 7 languages.

Really? What kind of interpreter needs to know 7 languages? I always thought 2 was enough. And are you still in Korea?

1 Like

I’m planning of entering a certain school with a really high level, so I need to know at least 5 languages fluently, not counting the native language. And yes I am ^^

1 Like

keeping this post alive… xD

1 Like

how old are u

17 years old

ur only three years older then me and you know all that. where I live u only get three choice of what u want to learn and u stick to one i pick Spanish there’s German and French too. i wish i could know as many as you

Wow that’s the most practical way to learn languages :open_mouth: you’re really lucky and respect. It’s not easy to keep up with ao many languages

Spanish is my native language, and I´m fluent in English.

I want to learn:
Korean
Mandarin
Japanese and
German.

1 Like

Congratulations!!! That is quite a goal, but I heard that at least you need english, spanish and mandarin. So, you have 2 out of 3! :slight_smile:

I know English, Chinese, Korean and Cantonese. Trying to pick up Spanish right now (: I think it will be useful in the future :smiley:

1 Like

This is a great combination already! Keep up the great work!! :thumbsup:

Hello everyone! I LOVE languages. My current language list looks like this:

I KNOW:
Indonesian: native
English: native
Spanish: advanced (C1~C2)
Russian: upper intermediate (B2~C1)

** I hope to pass ТРКИ-3 (C1 Russian) and DELE (C2 Spanish) sometime within the next year. It’s going to take a lot of work, but Viki will be absolutely crucial in helping me achieve my dreams of becoming a translator!

I AM CURRENTLY LEARNING:
Indonesian & English: Because you can never know enough of your native language. Also, because I was raised bilingual I feel like my knowledge of each language isn’t as good as that of a monolingual’s, so there’s that to think about as well.
Spanish & Russian: I hope to use these languages professionally in the future, so I’m taking the lifelong learning route for now!
Mandarin: I have Chinese heritage so I am trying to discover my ancestral language. It’s not going too well though.
Armenian: Just because. I am not aiming for a very high level in Armenian, but I do go back to it once in a while.

I WANT TO LEARN:
Japanese
Arabic
Turkish
Persian
(I am probably never going to be able to learn these languages though, simply because the ones I’ve listed above (save Armenian) are taking up 100% of my time and effort. Maybe one day, maybe one day…)

2 Likes

I love your post!! You are so right about life-long learning, even in one’s native language. People don’t often recognize ti, but those skills can be lost, too.

1 Like

Definitely true! Whenever I go back to Indonesia my English regresses to nothing, and whenever I go back to the UK I find myself struggling really hard to remember even the most basic Indonesian vocabulary. It takes special dedication to polish two languages at the same time, especially for a bilingual!

1 Like

I know:
Spanish
English
Haitian creol
french
American Sign Language

I am still learning:
Chinese
Korean

I want to know:
Japanese
Italian

2 Likes

That’s great! How did you learn ASL? I got random classes here and there, enough to bumble through conversation with a deaf person but never properly solidified it.

There are a lot of Haitians in my hometown, so it would be good if I learned Creole, but I never got around to it. What did you do to learn it?

Hello ^^
I’m studying Linguistics and it’s very interesting. I’m thinking of possibly wokring in the field. I wonder if it’s easy to find a good job though?

This topic and the whole Language Learning discussions has made me realise that there are so many more people interested in languages! It’s great. In real life I don’t get to meet many people who speak more than 3 languages (like me). They usually either think that I’m crazy, or a genius. And I’m neither ^^

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that you’ve had some negative reactions to your knowledge and abilities, but I think it’s great. I only have 2 right now, myself, working on a third has been difficult, because I learn best when immersed in the new language’s environment, but I haven’t been able to move somewhere new yet. All the best in your career. Linguistics is something I would study if I got a “do-over” in life.

1 Like

I Know:
Spanish (Native) and English

I want to learn a lot of languages xD: French, Italian, German, Japanese, Korean, Chinese and Russian.

It will be really great to meet friends around the world so I can practice and learn more languages =D

2 Likes