Which languages do you know and which do you want to learn?

Hey
i know french (native tongue)
i speak french, english and spanish :smiley:
i would like to learn korean , chinese, japanese
I know korean a bit and the alphabet :hangul
but i donā€™t a lot

I would like to know mandarin! and chinese traditional characters.
I would like to gain a comfortable level of spanish @.@

mmm I wish I could better my Korean!

Hi,
Malay is my first language
English is my second language

I want to learn:
Japanese
Korean

Right now Iā€™m learning Japanese and I do know some basic words and sentences.

Languages I know:

• English (born and live in USA)
  • Vietnamese (spoken at home)

Languages I am learning:

• Korean (by myself)
  • French (at school for 3 years now)

Languages I would like to learn or will be:

• Latin (when I enter high school next year until I graduate)
  • Chinese/Japanese
1 Like

Iā€™m Korean and have made some videos with Kdrama for helping Korean learners.
Iā€™m searching what kind of videos youguys need to study Korean.
Please. Let me know them to plan new series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvOXciYG1WU

I speak:
ā€¢ German (native)
ā€¢ Englisch
ā€¢ Spanish (not perfectly but not bad)

I am learning:
ā€¢ Korean (2 years by now)
ā€¢ Japanese (4 years, Iā€™ll be there for 10 months soon)

I want to learn:
ā€¢ Mandarin
ā€¢ French
ā€¢ Russian

Maybe itā€™s a lot that I want to learn, but I really love (learning) languages :relaxed:

1 Like

Iā€™m Czech/Swiss/American,

Czech (native)
German (native)
Swiss German (native)

English, proficient, speak and write
French, was fluent but gotten rusty since years of not applying
Spanish, basic, can speak and write. (studied in Malaga and worked in Ibiza)
Russian, learnt in school for 3 months, I still remember some words but the Alphabet I have forgotten.
Korean, the recurring words on drama, oppa, oma, abudji, kamsahamnida, etc.

Would love to learn Korean, have a CD Program and a book, but lately no time.
I dream of traveling to S. Korea and study; I see so many beautiful regions on Korea Clickers fb.com

When Im tired, I have this language salad, I canā€™t remember one word in one language but know it in the others, so annoying, or subbing from English to German too long, I see English words in my subs.
Remember, your brain is working harder :smile:

3 Likes

ā€œLanguage saladā€. Good description, haha.

Iā€™m German, so I speak & write German. (native) :grinning:

English - 11 years at school, worked as a translator English-German, simultan translator
French - 9 years at school, but forgot too much, as I never used it for the last 15 years
Spanish - 2 years at school. just some basics
Korean - beginner, can read and write, some basics

Would love to learn Chinese, Japanese and Thai, too, I know some basics, but Iā€™m too lazy, sorry and spend too much time at Viki. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I know
English, which is my native language

Korean- I learned this at home but sometimes I feel like I still have problems expressing things from Korean to English. Which kind of sucks cause I know what it means in Korean, but translating it to English makes my head feel like spaghetti sometimes. Which is why I think translating on here is good practice :smiley: I feel like I need to build up my vocabulary list too, though.

Some Japanese- Learned 3 years of it in high school. Surprisingly, I remember some grammar and still know how to read all the Kanji, hiragana and katakana that I learned.

I want to learn:
Thai
Cantonese
Vietnamese

So I knowā€¦

-English

Wow, so many languages. I know. The best part is Iā€™m awful at english grammar so yayā€¦

The languages Iā€™m learning:

-Latin (Second year- and final- in high school)
-Spanish (I work with a lot of native Spanish speakers soā€¦)
-Chinese (Although I really only know how to cuss)

The languages I really want to learn:

-Chinese
-Korean
-Spanish
-Really any language

Itā€™s just been my dream to, at least, be bilingual. I really want to learn another a latin language and an asian one. The only problem is I was never exposed to any other languages when i was younger so I canā€™t pronounce anything correctly. I would love to move somewhere else thats not english speaking so i can both be forced to a new language and experience a new culture. But ya know, if anyone wants to be my friend, I can help you with English in an exchange you help me with another language! ; )

I thought latin only counted as an extra for litterature or law. I never thought to count it as a language.

Viki is a good place to start tweeking your pronunciation on most of the languages youā€™re learning :smile:

1 Like

I know English and some tagalog + Ilocano since thatā€™s what I grew up around. But the tagalog and ilocano is verryyy basic.

Iā€™m learning Korean ^^ Just turned 3 years this last march.

I want to brush up on tagalog and ilocano because I have a new found appreciation for my heritage.

I also want to learn some Thai and French :smiley: (So if any of you want to do like a language exchange, hit me up)(Seriously, I need all the practice I can get, letā€™s be friends, yes? :D)

Iā€™ve also been teaching myself some Korean for a year now. Right now, when I hear the characters talking in dramas, I can repeat what they are saying but most of the time I donā€™t understand what Iā€™m saying :sweat_smile:
I also can memorize lyrics to OST much easier now, but still, I donā€™t understand them. So, if youā€™ve been learning for three years, I wonder how fluent you are? Can you watch dramas without using the subs and still understand them?

mmm living with Korean parents I think makes you about 50% fluent.
Soā€¦ longtime exposure Iā€™m not sure is the most effective.
I think actively practicing and trying to learn would probably? most likely make the most difference. my 2 cents.

I know German (native), English, Danish and Russian (just reading). And Iā€™m currently learning Korean. :blush:

For now, I donā€™t really want to learn more languages than that. Besides English, Danish and Korean are my favorite languages and I want to master them first.

1 Like

Well, i know arabic(native)
english
korean
Basic words in jappanes and thai and chinese
i want to learn vitnames cuz my friends are from there and i wanna make them feel comfortable with me

1 Like

Finnish (native)
English (fluent)
Swedish (learned for 6 years)
French (learned for 5 years)
Mandarin (learned for 2 years)
Korean (Iā€™ve never studied korean, except for reading hangul, but I understand spoken korean pretty well)
Japanese (I understand spoken language in everyday context)

I would like to get fluent in my ā€œcurrentā€ languages, but in addition to them, Iā€™d like to learn German, Hindi, Arabic, Mongolian and Afrikaans.^^

1 Like

I know:
Persian (native)

I want to learn:
English
Korean

I know:
Mandarin (fluent)
English (native)
Japanese (self-learned/ing for 4 years now)
Korean (learned for 2 years, can read and write just canā€™t understand meanings)

I would love to get fluent in both japanese and korean. I also would love to learn spanish as that seems to be a popular language and french as I think french sounds beautiful.

1 Like