Which languages do you know and which do you want to learn?

Hello everyone !

I speak :

• french (native)
  • english (fluently)

I understand arabic but don’t speak it…

and I’m learning swedish (with babbel) !!! Loving it :smile:

1 Like

LOL. That’s a valid reason.

Btw, what do you think of duolingo and busuu? I’ve heard of them but haven’t used either as yet?

That’s interesting. Do you have family members that speak it? Is that how that happened?

Currently I’m using duolingo to learn Spanish and improve my french.It’s very simple and easy to learn new vocabulary,knowing italian I’m advantaged anyway.It’s completely free(at least up to know)but there are no exercises for the pronounciation(there used to be but not anymore).Negative point is the limited languages you can choose from.
Busuu is not exactly free,I found it good but demanding as a course.The great thing about busuu is the great community(you can chat directly with native spanish from over the world).There are exercises for pronounciation(for premium members only) and a big choice of languages.
I’m planning to start with busuu and when I get a good level pass to busuu

LOLL I can speak Arabic (well I’m a native Arab) and I hate my language sometimes as well xD
I can get why you don’t wanna speak it :stuck_out_tongue:
For example I’m sure my name would sound really weird to you and you might call me Wafa instead of Wafaa… which is wrong… while the ending sounds like a,h,e at the same time so it is frustrating xD

I know a guy whose name is Mohamed but we call him Momo because we never pronounce it correctly and it’s too hard on his ears. I find German and Arab particularly hard, I never tried to pronounce sth in Chinese,Korean or Japanese (I’m sure I’d fail miserably). According to my friends I speak English with a greek accent, Italian with a spanish accent and Greek with an italian accent. The last one was a hard blow for me…

I’ve heard that I speak English with a Spanish accent. I’ll never be the same again, I guess :’(. I understand where you’re coming from. I was so surprised to hear that.

I can speak Circassian( native ) , Arabic ( native ) , English ( fluently ) and some korean .
I’m planning to learn French and chinese after my graduation .

I am currently learning how to read Hangul. In the future I will be able to subtitle from Korean to English or vice versa.

1 Like

That makes two of us. :slight_smile:

This is the first I’ve heard of the Circassian language. Where are you from?

Hi, thanks for asking . We Circassian are are a North Caucasian ethnic group native to Circassia who were displaced in the course of the Russian conquest of the Caucasus in the 19th century, especially after the Russian–Circassian War of 1862 . After the Circassian genocide , unfortunately we lived in many countries around the world away from our homeland . Circassian language also known as Cherkess is our own language , there are two Circassian languages , Adyghe (West Circassian) with half a million speakers, and Kabardian (East Circassian) with a million. we still use it with each other beside the language of the country we live in which is Arabic in my case . I hope this helps u :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes. That’s quite interesting, and I knew nothing of it before.

Hi everyone!
I know English and Spanish (native level) and French to an intermediate level.
I’m also learning Japanese.

I would like to learn Mandarin, Arabic and Korean (which I started learning but had to put aside to focus on French and Japanese).

Woahhh @Pam720 you got your eyes on the most difficult languages :stuck_out_tongue:
Fighting!!

Let me know if you need help with Arabic and French ^^

I know:
Japanese (native)
English (fluent)
Spanish (nope)

I want to learn:
more Spanish
Korean

I took Spanish for two years in college but it didn’t work out. I want to learn Korean because of Viki :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve never seen it described quite like that before. That’s funny, though, and yet true at the same time.[quote=“Pam720, post:175, topic:171”]
I started learning but had to put aside to focus on French and Japanese
[/quote]

It’s so difficult to juggle if you’re learning several languages at once. That’s why I intended to leave Mandarin for a while to start Korean. (I’m so addicted to lang-8, though, it didn’t quite work out like I’d planned). But I fully agree with Wafaahs. “Fighting!!”

Hi everyone!
I speak Greek (native language) and English fluently (although my writing is more fluent than my speech). I had French for years and i even got my Sorbonne, but now my french are really rusty. I know how to read Hangul but i don’t understand Korean, except from the “basic” phrases that i learned after years watching korean dramas, haha. I want to learn Korean, Spanish and German.

Is it true that if you know French, it’s easier to learn Italian? Because i may try that,haha.

Hi!! So what is a Sorbonne? and how did you learn to read Hangul? As for your question, my understanding is that since Spanish, French, and Italian all have a common “ancestor” in Latin because they are Romance languages, it is easier for speakers of one language to learn the others. Also, once you know Spanish, it’s easier to learn Portuguese; and people that know French will have an easier time with Creole, etc.

I have Sorbonne C1, i think its equivalent is the Proficiency in English, but i’m not really sure. The certificates if i remember correctly are Delf A1 which is the first, Delf A2, Delf or Sorbonne B1, B2 and Sorbonne C1, C2. Sorbonne C2 is the highest i think, if you want to get in a French University.

I learned hangul through a Google Play application called Hangul (Korean Alphabet) from TenguLogi. It had lessons for the alphabet, syllables etc, and then after each chapter there was a test. So that really helped, and also another fun application which is super cute, called PopPopping Korean,was usefull! If you have a tablet or an android you should really check them!

Then i may try learning Spanish. The hardest thing for me in all languages is always grammar. Even in my own language haha. But maybe i’ll try self-teach myself (no money for a teacher yet).

1 Like