Which languages should be removed by Viki?

Hakka is the only one I have ever heard (of)! :laughing:

Thereā€™s also Min Nan which is one of the dialects spoken in Fujian province and in Taiwan.

1 Like

There is an influence possible because most people going to America, would travel the river Rhine and will go from there by boat to America, but some were really poor and had to first work for some time in the Netherlands before taking the boat.

1 Like

I donā€™t see Brabants in the list.

Itā€™s hard for us to guess how many people on viki who speaks that language. There is no option to write what languages you speak in your profile so viki can only use geotargeting and go by what countries people are visting from. So I donā€™t know if itā€™s a good idea to remove languages but maybe not list them and let people request them?

Too bad that subber broke the rules. Since itā€™s all voluntary I donā€™t understand why people spend the time cheating if they are not really wanting to do the work. Just watch something instead lol

1 Like

The written language of Hakka is the same as that of Mandarin, so it would only matter if something was being dubbed. There are hundreds of languages spoken in China ( and they are actually languages, not dialects). But the written Chinese is the same (at least for the many I know of; canā€™t speak for all of them), which is all that matters for subtitles.

2 Likes

May I know why telugu should be removed ?

Iā€™m definately not saying Telugu, or any other language, should be removed. I was just showing a list of all the languages people can sub in on Viki.
The original poster of this thread, @dudie, thinks some languages should be removed, but I donā€™t know if Telugu is one of them.

2 Likes

I never heard of Telugu before. Who says that language should be removed @padmalayag ?!
And if someone said it should go you can prove them wrong by telling why it should stay.

3 Likes

Your original thread was about something very different. It quoted as an example different regional varieties of Dutch. And it made the valid point that people who speak or understand those varieties will also understand the main language, so they are not really necessary. It also quoted Sindhi, a language spoken in the Pakistani region of Sindh but not recognized as an official language.

Telugu, on the other hand is one of the 22 official languages of India, spoken in three states: Andhra Pradesh (with 49.386.799 inhabitants), Telangana (35.193.978 residents) and Puducherry (244.377). A total of more than 80 million people (the census was in 2011 now they will be many more!). So I donā€™t think that anybody would even think to suggest it be removed.

6 Likes

Interesting. Now I wonder do all people in India even understand eachother when there are so many official languages.

4 Likes

Well, Sindhi has over 30 million speakers, which is more than those spoken here. Also, some of the views here are the primary reason why I stay far away from becoming a subber and just enjoy shows.

I think something more reasonable, would be that a certain language/dialect etc. would have to demonstrate to have a viki community where they talk their gibberish to each other and that they keep producing subtitles. (some languages are actually dialects of each others and vice versa.)

If these criteria are met, then why should we judge them? Sure, if someone just trolls of miss represents an language, say I translate Sindhi subs, but actually I translate everything into finnish.
Not everything is made as per German engineering, well defined, standardized, government supported and concise. Languages are a mess.

1 Like

Itā€™s sort of like weā€™re in clubs with different code laguages and to interact with each other we use mainly English and Hindi. However, if you know Hindi, you can understand a little of most North Indian languages, while Tamil usually helps for South Indian languages.
Thatā€™s how the British sort of brought about their own trouble-- English became the medium to unite all the Indian provinces.

3 Likes

Hindi too if you know both Hindi and English you can travel anywhere in India
Each state speaks a different language!

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining it. And yes I noticed that they speak quite a bit of English in India (I watch a YTer who lives in Bangalore and is learning Hindi) but now I totally get why with so many official languages.

2 Likes