Cookies should not prevent Team Discussion

It has come to my attention that valuable volunteers on my editing teams are unable to access Team Discussion because they are unable to accept the new cookies on Viki. I need them on Team Discussion!

I will not try to change their personal convictions about their privacy, which they feel are being violated by cookies. Viki is making it hard for us to easily tag each other on Team Discussion, because they can’t even see it anymore!

I have reluctantly accepted the cookies, yet half of my messages on Inbox remain blacked out by the huge cookies sign! I can’t even read my messages properly for the last two days, let alone answer them easily! I have one tiny space for one sentence at a time or I lose the whole message, and I often can’t even read what I’m answering once I scroll to reply to my messages.

Viki, please help!

15 Likes

It’s two months later by now and still nothing has been done about it.

1 Like

The issue experienced by @worthyromance regarding the below has been fixed.

@mirjam_465 We’re still following up on this! We’d love to provide an answer quickly, but there are several stakeholders in this, including third parties who we work with. It’s less direct for this matter. It may appear that nothing is being done as you observed, but things are running in the background. :running_woman: :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Thank you for all your hard work! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Has there been any progress on this matter? I’ve been shut out for 4 months now.

6 Likes

Will this EVER get solved? Either make it available for everyone or get rid of it and come up with an alternative.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s time for me to leave Viki. This ■■■■ will obviously never get solved and no one cares.

3 Likes

Please, please do not leave Viki! I need you! I don’t think they will have TD without cookies because many comments get held back for 8 hours. I’m really sorry that this situation continues.

5 Likes

What exactly is the problem?
Let us help you.

2 Likes

If you don’t accept cookies, you can’t see disqus so no comment section on a drama’s page and no Team Discussion in the editor.

2 Likes

Not functional cookies but tracking cookies, which goes against the GDPR.
Btw, it doesn’t go for all sections on Viki that are led by Disqus, nor for Disqus itself.

Thank you, but only Viki can solve this. Until about two and a half years ago, my TD worked just fine. Then suddenly, it was gone and we were told to accept social-media cookies (which include tracking cookies and should never be forced upon us) to get it back. Accepting essential cookies should be enough.

4 Likes

I thought you had a problem even after accepting cookies.
Is that what you’re talking about?

Maybe the problem comes from disqus.

1 Like

@mas4 Your social media cookies aslo seem to be off, can you see team discussion in the editor?

2 Likes

It was just a test.
As @mirjam_465 said, if I don’t accept them, I can’t see TD and comments.

2 Likes

Yes, they want to force us to accept tracking cookies just for TD to be working, while TD is considered a necessity.

Funny enough, the comment sections on the actors’ pages (but not on the show pages) work just fine. I can also see TD directly on Disqus (if I can find the right link), but I can’t log in there so I can’t write anything there.

4 Likes

That’s weird. :astonished:
Maybe it’s time to find an alternative to disqus if Viki is unable to resolve this problem.

4 Likes

You could do one thing. Set your browser to delete cookies and history every time you close it. And you can close your browser after you visit Viki. Yes, it’s a hassle, you’ll have to login to Viki (and every other platform) every time you open your browser again. But it will get rid of the problem. And you can set your browser to remember your login details so logging in will be a one-step process.

3 Likes

Actually, you can specifically designate individual websites to clear cookies upon closing your browser. It doesn’t have to do it for every site. I have mine set to clear cookies/cache ONLY for Viki.

4 Likes

Oh, in my case there are many more where I want it to clear them rather than Viki. Viki after all doesn’t bombard me with advertisements like others. Not that I ever see them, since I have in place not one but three ad-blockers (each does a different job). My son says it’s not right to block ads on YouTube because that’s what supports creators. But it’s so jarring to be listening to an opera and suddenly have a nasty jingle and an offensively cheerful voice come up to advertise!

4 Likes

Our son bought ad-free YouTube for the family. I’m happy because the ads aren’t relevant to me.

While I’m on Viki, I have lots of history looking up terms and synonyms. When my hubby uses my computer, he always cleans the history for me.

I still don’t see why we need cookies on Team Discussion. I think it’s a problem with Disqus. Viki respects our privacy.

1 Like