Funny subbing mistakes

Based on the second clip’s, sentence, nurtured should be murdered?

Screenshot_20220215-233828_Chrome
Screenshot_20220215-233902_Chrome

Episode 1 of A Tale of Two Cities, Less than 2:00 minutes in :wink:

3 Likes

That completely changes the whole context. Oh dear. :grin:

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s a Star Wars reference:

roger-roger-roger

6 Likes

Hi, there’s no mistake there. They are merpeople, like mermaids and mermen. Thus, they are nurtured, or born, at sea. :blush: Oh, or were you referring to the past tense verbs in the second clip?

3 Likes

Yeah, I see ‘nurture(d)’ used a lot in Chinese dramas, so it didn’t look off to me, unless like @pandali_666 says, you were referring to something else or the combination of both? :blush:

2 Likes

@pandali_666, @feyfayer,
If nutured is intended to mean they were taken care of, then I stand corrected.
The meaning conveyed by the two clips above, if changed, would change the whole context like @midknightmoodz posted.
The thing though is, their tears turning into pearls drums up a sad meaning, and as the drama later confirms.

Thank you both for this opportunity to mention another subbing I found in this drama. I found it indigestible. Here goes:
I found the word Roger also used in this drama, in an episode, 왜요? ¯_ಠಿ_ಠಿ_/¯? Roger is such a dated term, and military term, at that, used by American soldiers to mean yes, or go ahead, it’s a term of agreement. It does not go with the timeframe of this drama which talks about emperors. Hence a Funny subbing mistake.

2 Likes

Yes, I completely agree that “tears turning into pearls” does tend to have a sad connotation. However, the speaker was just describing them to set up the story. Also, technically, it could be happy tears. Haha. But yeah they were captured to force to create pearls later on.

5 Likes

A mistake I saw in the J-drama “Ishitachi no Renai Jijo,” which ran as “Doctors’ Affairs” when Crunchyroll had it (it’s not a romantic comedy so it’s not likely to ever make it to Viki,) is a scene where the caption said:
“Sometimes you do not try to not like somebody.”

It was kind of a pat-on-the-back moment for me because by coincidence, at that same time in Japanese class we had just covered imperative forms, so I recognized why the mistake was there: In Japanese you indicate “have to” or “must” with a double-negative. So “Sometimes you do not try to not like somebody,” which is a literal translation of the Japanese sentence, should really be “Sometimes you have to try to like somebody” or “Sometimes you must try to like somebody.”

7 Likes

Screenshot_20220302-031210_Viki
Found another :joy:
Screenshot_20220302-115236_Viki
Annnd!:rofl: another!
Screenshot_20220302-123234_Viki
https://c.tenor.com/2CGcZ_W3A8YAAAAM/laughing-hard.gif
:face_with_hand_over_mouth: The episodes as it stands, I’m at 37, are riddled full of an endless supply of more FSM:face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Psst! Everyone :rofl::rofl::rofl: The entire drama is a minefield :bomb: of FSM :scream: :eyes: :joy:

7 Likes

She asks: Are you hungry?

A litter? :rofl:

11 Likes

But that’s only a typo.
More important: The question should come first. Or do he ask the same?

5 Likes

That’s the question! :joy: One has to see the actions before… it could well be the person before asked the same…

8 Likes

If I’m not mistaken she repeats the question.
It’s a funny typo to me XD

8 Likes

I’m currently watching a show (that’s not aired on Viki) but there was a funny subtitle.

“Did they have beef with each other?”

Beef in this context was not referring to food.
It’s a slang meaning, having a disagreement or falling out with someone. :joy:
When I saw the subtitle I had to giggle. This show is a Cdrama set in the republication era.

8 Likes

Guys I’m back after a very very long break.:no_mouth: Actually you guys knew about my situation. It was quite hectic past few months. But, now I’m back and would talk and discuss with you guys again.

I don’t know if you guys still have watch parties.

Anyway its good to meet everyone again.
@leerla73 @poeticpeep @porkypine90_261 @padmalayag @kdrama2020ali @vivi_1485 @natyh many more. don’t remember every one’s name. Sorry for that :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Welcome back! I don’t really know what happened, but I’m glad you got it all squared away. :wink: I hope you have a discord account, it seems the parties are happening over on that side. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Welcome back!!!
The last watch party I was invited was Ghost Doctor, as far as I know there is no watch party in this moment, at least not in viki.
I know that some of the regular watch party fellows are doing it by discord but I’m not so involved in discord right now.
Anyway, if you want to do a watch party you can make a thread with the show and we can join (me and whoever wants to do it lol)

5 Likes

We do! We’ve moved to Discord but most of the hosts post the WP link in Discussions too (if the drama is on Viki).

5 Likes

Welcome back! Do tell me if you are looking for projects!:smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah I had joined but didn’t remember, thanks for mentioning that.

2 Likes