How to continue on subtitling old dramas?

Hi, everyone!
I’d like to know how to continue on subtitling in french old dramas (gone on the air about 10 years ago).
I tried to contact the channel manager to be allowed to subtitle in french, but I have no answer and I don’t know if he (she) is actually active…
May I go on the subtitling by my self? The Editor is opened to subtitle.
Thank you for your help!

Gwadaelle

1 Like

I don’t think you should go ahead and start subtitling even though the Subtitle Editor is accessible (in most old dramas, that’s the case). Since the CM did not respond to your request, you could try to PM the editing team and the English mod, and at the same time, PM one or more Viki staff for help. I’m sure you’ll get a response from one of them.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Hi, @gwadaelle. So nice you want to help finish a drama. Any drama.

Old channels are mostly inactive. So in order to save your subtitles by locking an episode translation in French, you should contact Viki directly and ask to be the French moderator on that project. This process is usually simple, but can take time to be resolved. You can contact Viki on https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Unlike @jadecloud88 I think you SHOULD start translating it because the drama might be too old for any of their team members to still be active. We have done this before. If you start translating, it shows good will and capability to Viki. I understand why @jadecloud88 said what she said. We have many problems if people don’t follow community rules, particularly in new projects. But I feel this is different. It’s in the best interest of the project and the viewers that you start translating. Particularly because months can pass before you get moderator rights.

P.S. Considering how you are just starting to translate here on Viki, I would take a mentor, an experienced French moderator to check your translations in the beginning and guide you a bit with ins and outs of the Viki subbing. It greatly improves sub quality :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks @jadecloud88 and @bozoli for your answer!

I will do what @bozoli said. I have already worked as co-editor and translator on a little drama. I’m going to name the main Editor, because I’m so grateful to her for having taught me a lot of things : it’s @vee.

There are a lot of old dramas of which only 1 or 2 épisodes are subtitled in french. I’d like to complete the subtitling of some of their… If I find the time… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thank you!

Bye!

4 Likes

@gwadaelle : si tu envoies une demande au help center, il faut que tu montres que tu as bien envoyé avant une demande à la manager du drama ou à la modératrice française s’il y en a une. Une copie d’écran de ton message montrant la date de ton envoi suffit. Sinon, ils risquent de te demander de toute façon de le faire et tu auras perdu du temps.

5 Likes

Merci @kobolt pour l’info! Combien de temps est-il raisonnable d’attendre la réponse du gestionnaire de chaîne (pas de modératrice française sur ce drama)? Tu vas dire que je suis impatiente, car cela ne fait que 4 jours que j’ai écrit, mais j’ai le sentiment que je n’aurai pas de réponse…

Sorry, don’t mean to meddle in your French business… :smile: I feel like I’m snooping, actually.

I would say reasonable time is one week to wait for the response.

3 Likes

Thanks, merci @bozoli. It’s a pleasure and reassuring to have so much help and advice! So there’s no “snooping”. I’m just very more at ease writing in French than in English… :yum:

@gwadaelle : pareil, j’ai écrit en français parce que c’est plus simple.
Je suis d’accord pour au moins une semaine (en général j’attends même plus, certains passent des examens et ne viennent pas sur viki à ce moment-là). Si la manager est active (regarde sur sa page si elle a fait des sous-titres dernièrement et regarde aussi sur sa page si elle n’a pas dit qu’elle était en pause pour ses études et qu’elle reviendra à telle ou telle date) alors elle devrait répondre, donc patiente un peu, si elle n’est pas active depuis des mois ou des années, n’attends pas plus d’une semaine.
Bonne chance.

If I may, I would also like to add that it is not a bad idea to just check with the English team first. If you translate and don’t get your credit as a member of the team, it looks like an abuser (someone who translates without permission). This is not what you would be doing but it would look like that if anyone was to look at your projects.

Most on Viki did that at the beginning, because they didn’t know the system but it is also one of the biggest problems we have here and some people ( I do as a CM) do look at your projects when you request to join teams.

I would advise that it is better to be safe than sorry. Maybe someone at Viki could add you if the CM or Mods don’t respond.

If I may ask, which drama is it? Maybe I know someone on the team who could add you.

3 Likes

C’est ce que j’ai fait. Elle a eu une activité qui date de 15 jours (visionnage). Je vais prendre mon mal en patience, mais j’avoue que ça me démange de commencer à traduire. Je suis dispo en ce moment et ce ne sera peut-être plus le cas dans 1 mois…

It’s “Moon River” or “The return of Iljimae” (2009).

I see. Well, maybe the Chief Editor can help. She is active and I’m sure will be glad to help you. She’s very nice. :slight_smile: Here’s her profile:

https://www.viki.com/users/kakashiandme/about

Thanks a lot!!!
I will send her a PM right now! :+1::smile:

Good luck! I hope it works out. :slight_smile:

If it doesn’t, I will offer my help for new dramas… :wink:

1 Like

There are always projects that need subbers in most languages, so I’m sure you’ll find something you want to work on. @kobolt would be a great person to get to know. She’s one of the best French Mods here, in my humble opinion. :wink:

7 Likes

Oh @gwadaelle it is so good to know that you are back on the community…
You’re such a sweetheart… Your message moved my heart.
I have nothing to add to all the good advice mentioned before.

I just wanted to let you know that I love working on old projects, so if you ever need my help, just let me know. :slight_smile: It would be a great pleasure to team up again with you.

2 Likes

Thank you for chiming in. This is exactly why I said it’s better to check with the Eng editing team and at the same time check with Viki. If no one from the team is active or will respond, I’m sure one of the Viki staff will help pave the way to letting @gwadaelle gain access.

I’m glad everything seems to work out well eventually. Happy subbing @gwadaelle :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actually I understand now what you mean. For my first time I will be careful and wait for an official permission before begin subtitling. I hope that it will be easy to have the permission…

Thanks!

1 Like