I am in big trouble - I don't know what to watch

It’s been so long, but yes I guess I am at this point again.
I watched them both, but somehow this aimlessly watching drama on a roll has come to an end.
I desperately need something calm with a light note, okay, I know there is no such thing in Asian drama, what I mean, that between the main leads there is no craziness going on, if possible. I don’t mind if it is a story about a sole person either and no particular romance going on at all, all is better than a crazy 2nd female lead or a no less crazy mother or MIL.
So maybe you know a drama as my mood is deep, deep, down there somewhere just like today’s weather gray, dark gray, rainy, …
I don’t care what country or length as long as it doesn’t keep on dragging. It still can be melo, if it has a good, satisfying ending.

For updates - what I watched this year:

What I have not tried yet:

And what I totally avoided, maybe I am doing some drama injustice?:

1 Like

Something calm…
I read an article about Racket Boys today… doesn’t look like there’s much angst and the romance is minimal. Do you think you’d like it?

I’m looking at your MDL watchlist and recommending… I didn’t see MLH on it so

lots and lots of romance and comedy. not much really goes on. In terms of craziness… not much that I remember. FL’s parents are totally cool with the ML. ML’s parents are also nice.

1 Like

Not at Viki? Viki is my main source apart from that only SBS and KBS at yt, where as it seems KBS sorted out quite a number of dramas.

2 Likes

Oh okay, then…
Shanai Marriage Honey is filled with pure fluff and zero angst. They have little problems that get solved in one or two episodes so nothing long drawn.

Got that one already … Now I would prefer less fluff.

I was trying Times because I wanted to watch it for so long now, but I somehow can’t, I tried Syndrome since it is a drama I have on my list even longer, I thought a medical drama for a change would be okay, but right at the start the messed up characters come into play, so no this is not it either.

1 Like

I didn’t? I did put it on, my oh my, officially my list is lacking another 4 dramas to fill up to 1000. Oh, dear me!

And of course discobrat had something to say again …

I am just looking at my MDL what I wanted to watch.

Should I try this one?

1 Like

I think I avoided it because the plot seemed boring. It does say “in defiance of her family’s opposition,” so you might have to deal with annoying parents.
A top review says this:
“I will specifically praise Choi Dae Hoon and Baek Ji Won for creating characters that knew all the right buttons to push for maximum irritation. The way they frustrate the viewers and the main leads is the definition of entertainment, in stark contrast to my frustration with the flat plot.”

1 Like

Only if you really like Kim Min Jae. I could put this drama in

Anyone who watched Black Dog?

2 Likes

I am constantly looking for dramas where this is the case. Obviously a drama needs ‘drama’, but I’d really love for that drama to come from somewhere other than crazy/delusional second leads or parents or forced separations, etc… It’s such a struggle to find things where the conflict is relatively easy on the leads and more internal than external. I’m always so happy and grateful when I manage to find it. You mentioned JBL in your original post, and that’s one of my all-time favorites, so if I found more in that vein, I’d be so happy.

I know how many dramas you’ve watch, so I can’t really imagine suggesting anything that you haven’t already seen.

1 Like

Isn’t JBL a melo? Classified along with dramas like

and When The Camellia Blooms?

Descendants of the Sun doesn’t have so many cliches: No love triangle, no SFL or SML chasing the mains, no crazy parents, no delusional characters, a very good second and third couple, only one or two separations(but he’s a soldier so it’s a given). Angst? Not really. The drama keeps itself quite light. It shows a doctor FL and soldier ML navigate their relationship and choose whether or not to commit to each other even with all the demands of their career.

3 Likes

Seen them all. Liked them all. Although, I’d put Come and Hug Me in a different category. It was not an ‘easy watch’ like the other ones.

1 Like

I won’t be helpful, then, because I don’t watch melos(I think they’re very boring, even though I haven’t watched a single one). I like my rom-coms. :sweat_smile:

@lutra Didn’t see this in your list, either

There’s no romance. The four main leads are good friends. The three men make themselves worthy of being FL’s oppas. It’s heartwarming. It isn’t gory.
What do you mean by “no craziness”? The craziness here is the heists they pull off. No real or long-drawn angst between any of the main leads. No parents anywhere.

Oh, you might like this one!

Relatively calm. All about young people and their interactions with the elders at a nursing home. There wasn’t much romance between the two leads, so no angst between them. FL doesn’t have parents, and ML’s father doesn’t act like a father. He’s a separate character. No mother-in-laws. Just lots and lots of grandmas and grandpas with different personalities.

1 Like

@lutra This one doesn’t appear to be on your list. I find it to be a gem, with a unique story format. Not a lot of ‘crazy’ drama, especially for the leads; very slice of life - touches of humor, touches of sadness, touches of romance. Great cast and writing, IMO. I put this one off for a long time simply because the thumbnail photo wasn’t very enticing, but I really liked it.

1 Like

I did, I like both lead actresses, it’s a well done drama with good flow!

2 Likes

Recently, my second set of exams got postponed and I thought I’d pick up something to watch… HELP ME DECIDE! I’ve been reading the comments and reviews again and again but I have yet to choose ONE :sob: I’m in the mood for something light/meaningful/heartwarming and with a happy ending. Here are my options:

I just need a push, that’s all

2 Likes

I have watched none of them, but I always wanted to watch My Brilliant Life. Why I want you to watch this movie? I don’t know if you ever saw anything with Kang Dong Won, but since he mostly does movies these past years, you should at least watch this movie with him. I really like him as an actor. Song Hye Kyo? She can deliver I won’t argue about that, it might be just “my problem” that none of her work stayed in my memory because of her.
Autumn in My Heart - I dropped it, some like a tearjerker like this I thought the writers overdid it.
Hotelier, All In, (Shining Days - maybe?), Full House, The World That They Live In, Encounter, …
Anyway? Was this push enough?

3 Likes

Okay, then! My Brilliant Life it is! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Right after Always.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched any of those either, so I’m of no help. Have you watched Gaduri Restaurant? It’s a fairly easy watch.

2 Likes

Yeah… two eps in and I lost interest :grimacing:

1 Like